Which Indy production do you consider the most underrated?

Which do you consider the most underrated / underappreciated Indy production?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles / The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Votes: 19 38.8%

• Total voters

Crack that whip

With all the new discussion and debate over the merits of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull recently added to the ongoing body of discussion of the merits of the previous followups to Raiders of the Lost Ark, and noticing the strong advocacy some fans of one particular work or another put forth, I've found myself curious about just which Indy adventures fans here are most inclined to champion in the face of sometimes harsh criticism, and why. Since a quick search hasn't yielded a previous thread like the one I'd hope to see on the subject, here's one from me, complete with poll.

Each of the filmic Indy productions (each one that isn't Raiders, anyway) has been subject to not insubstantial criticism from one camp or another, often for very different reasons, but all have also garnered their share of acclaim, and I think strong cases can be made for the quality of each movie and show featuring the character. If you have to pick just one, which of these projects do you consider the most underrated / underappreciated by others, and / or feel most compelled to advocate / defend?

(I do of course realize Raiders of the Lost Ark, as one of the universally acknowledged all-time classics of cinema, is hardly "underrated," but I'm including it in the poll for completeness' sake. ;) :hat: )

The Magic Rat

I said Crusade. I know it's not that underrated and that many say it's the second best, but that movie is damn near perfect. It's different than Raiders, but for what it is I really do think it stands up next to Raiders and deserves to be called a classic instead of just a good sequel.

ProfessorChaos

I'd go for Crystal Skull, since a huge amount of fans hated it not only for the alien segments but for the use of Soviets instead of Nazis. However, I loved it and thought that although it had it's differences to the earlier films, it was done very respectfully to the series and was the first to truly show Indy in a quest to find a lost city. Something that is an adventure film cliche, but yet that is a new and refreshing concept to Indy films. I liked the Psychic Spalko who was nasty but sexy at the same time (she reminded me of the Baroness from G.I. Joe, actually), and it was heartwarming to see Indy reuinited with Marion again after all these years. Myself, I liked the way the aliens weren't actually aliens per se but inter-dimensional beings. That left a lot of room for interpretation as to where they came from, which could be viewed scientific or religious depending on your outlook. My favorite line in the whole film was when Mutt said: "God's skull doesn't look like that!" and Indy replied: "That depends on who your God is!" A good point, considering Mutt has never seen God to know for sure what He/She looks like. All Indy movies have parts that can make you think... just a little... about deeper meanings, and Crystal Skull has that charm about it too. All in all, those who claim it isn't a true Indy film are looking at it too narrowly. Indy isn't just about fighting Nazis or looking for Biblical relics. Indy is about adventure, in any time and against any foes!

So, for me, Indy IV will always have a valued place in this fantastic series. Even though it is, perhaps, the most underrated of the four Indy movies. :)

oki9Sedo

I think Crystal Skull will be more appreciated with time.

I do think its the weakest of the bunch, but that said its still a very good film and a more than worthy entry to the series.

Last edited:

Crack that whip

I selected The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, which honestly I think is the finest addition to the Indy canon since the original Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It's undeniably different from the movies, more so than any of them are from each other, and it's entirely understandable how someone in love with the movies might have no interest in the show whatsoever, but I think it so adds to and enrichens one's understanding of and appreciation for the character first established in the movies. It's by far the most artistically ambitious Indy-related endeavor, and turns the character into something a bit more substantial and meaningful than simply another symbol for escapist popcorn entertainment (while still preserving that aspect that drew so many to the character in the first place), IMO. I think it's not only the finest addition to the canon since the series began, but also the greatest accomplishment from George Lucas / Lucasfilm in at least the last twenty-five years.

If not for the show, I'd have gone with either Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom or Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

NoCamels

I said Young Indy, for many of the same reasons as Crack that whip. It was extremely ambitious (who else but George Lucas could get funding to film a historical TV show on location around the world in 1992?) and brought more attention to the fascinating history of the early 20th century. It's the time period that really did change how everything was done-everything from warfare to casual clothing- and the show tried to show that link using a character we already knew and loved.

I also think KOTCS will be more appreciated in time, after people get over the disappointment from their high expectations. It is pretty different than the others.

keylan

I would go with Young Indy. This show did a great job of brining a well thought out and highly entertaining back story to one of our favorite heros of the big screen.

Dewy9

Temple of Doom. Imagine how different things would have been if they had done another Raiders or Last Crusade. It needed a change of pace.

the ox

i voted LAST CRUSADE. i could watch that movie till the cows come home. i think the tone is perfect and the ford/connery stuff never gets old for me. connery cracks me up in this movie from the moment he steps into it. i even am fine with them turning marcus into a goof - cracks me up and loved him coming along on the adventure.

plus - sallah is in it, it has (IMO) the hottest indy girl, some awesome action scenes (tank!), a fun opening, cool conclusion, good "booby traps", nazis, motorbike, zeppelin, harrison's awesome in it, venice is cool, best humor of the series, and the ending shot is PERFECT ...

i think RAIDERS is the best film but LC is my fave ...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I also voted Last Crusade, purely because I feel that it actually does something pretty interesting with the fact that it's a formulaic retread of Raiders in certain respects. I've made this argument before, so I'll give the cliff notes version here. Indy actually gets the artifact from the beginning, unlike in Raiders. In doing, he fulfills his lifelong quest, just as he's about to fulfill that of his father, and just as he fulfilled that of one of his major father figures two years back, with the Ark. It's set on European soil, much of it, and contrary to genre expectations of exoticism, it's really your own familiars and allies whom you must suspect most. There's this overtone of civilization and chivalry that really plays around with Indy's usual sense of fun - he's got a necktie, he jousts on a motorcycle, he has to deal with his father not approving of his methods. Indy's quest for fortune and glory, and even that for history, is apotheosized into the quest for illumination and recognition, both of which he apparently receives.

But, then, that's the sloppy version.

Forbidden Eye

DocWhiskey said:
Honestly?

I think everything EXCEPT RotLA is underrated.

Not Last Crusade. I know people in my area that actually rank LC as their favorite. :rolleyes:

But yeah, everything else is severely underrated.

Dewy9

the ox said:
i think RAIDERS is the best film but LC is my fave ...

Same here. I know Raiders is a better movie per se, but I like and watch Last Crusade more. I just don't think it's too underrated since there's a lot of people like us. Sean Connery added a great deal to that movie.