General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

IndyForever said:
"THR: What’s the status of Indiana Jones 5? Steven Spielberg says he’s waiting to hear from you.

Lucas: I know, and I’m supposed to be working on it right now, but I’m talking to you instead (Laughs)."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-star-wars-interview-288523

So as we can all tell Lucas is still committed to Indy 5 otherwise he would just blow off the question at least we know he is now (after TPM3D PR) working on Indy5 probably fulltime now he has finished Red Tails + TPM3D.

He'll just never dismiss the idea, unless Harrison is permanently unavailable, or Lucas himself is locked away for his own safety.

The door is always open, but I would guess he's finding it hard to justify another movie when he still has to market it towards children.

Raiders90

Montana Smith said:
They blew it with KOTCS. That was the last conceivable opportunity to have a classic Harrison Indy. Pushing him and the story further would only make things worse. If we can consign #4 to a dream sequence, we can at least have Indy riding off into the sunset in 1938.

I look at KOTCS as an epilogue. It's not necessary material, and can be dismissed. It doesn't have to be rendered non-canon or a dream sequence. You can just watch it if you want to know what happened after Indy rode off into that sunset...But I think KOTCS shows us that every character has a sunset, and once the sun sets on a character's story, it can't rise again unless said story is really good. It's why I ignore the epilogue of most Robin Hood stories, where years later Robin comes back from King Richard's service and dies by being bled out. Who wants to see an awesome hero fade (like Indy) or die off? Much rather it be left to our own imaginations as to what happens after that ride into the sunset.

And Steven says as much in one of the Making Ofs:

"When I was done with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, there was a reason I invented the shot of Harrison riding a horse into the sunset--Because I thought that brought the curtain down on the trilogy and that we were all gonna move on and mature into other aspects of film-making and I never thought I would see Indiana Jones again. And Harrison was tenacious and Harrison called George and got George thinking about it, then George called me and he said, 'Well, Steve, what do you wanna do? It could be fun to make another movie.' I was the hold out. I was the one that said 'I'm done with this series! It was great! Let's walk away!"

I think Steven knew the danger inherent in making another Indy, after Raiders and LC set the bar up high and created rules for Indy's universe and as expectations grew higher and higher about Indy 4 and Harrison aged. But he was loyal to Harrison and loyal to George and loyal to us. Let it not be forgotten that most of the fan base wanted, hoped and dreamed of another Indy. But Steven's statement above encapsulates my whole point. "It was great. Let's walk away." Perhaps we, the fans, should have walked away after 1989, when Indy's legacy was pristine and totally intact. But we didn't and neither did Harrison, Steven or George and thus we got KOTCS. And that has to be rectified. That is why I want an Indy V. I love TOD, but a lot of people don't. Imagine if the "Raiders" series had ended at TOD. It'd have let the character down. If LC was an apology for ToD, we deserve an apology for KOTCS

Montana Smith

Raiders112390 said:
I look at KOTCS as an epilogue. It's not necessary material, and can be dismissed. It doesn't have to be rendered non-canon or a dream sequence. You can just watch it if you want to know what happened after Indy rode off into that sunset...But I think KOTCS shows us that every character has a sunset, and once the sun sets on a character's story, it can't rise again unless said story is really good. It's why I ignore the epilogue of most Robin Hood stories, where years later Robin comes back from King Richard's service and dies by being bled out. Who wants to see an awesome hero fade (like Indy) or die off? Much rather it be left to our own imaginations as to what happens after that ride into the sunset.

I think Steven knew the danger inherent in making another Indy, after Raiders and LC set the bar up high and created rules for Indy's universe and as expectations grew higher and higher about Indy 4 and Harrison aged. But he was loyal to Harrison and loyal to George and loyal to us. Let it not be forgotten that most of the fan base wanted, hoped and dreamed of another Indy. But Steven's statement above encapsulates my whole point. "It was great. Let's walk away." Perhaps we, the fans, should have walked away after 1989, when Indy's legacy was pristine and totally intact. But we didn't and neither did Harrison, Steven or George and thus we got KOTCS. And that has to be rectified. That is why I want an Indy V.

Good quote from Steven. It says much about what went wrong with the last one.

Raiders112390 said:
I love TOD, but a lot of people don't. Imagine if the "Raiders" series had ended at TOD. It'd have let the character down. If LC was an apology for ToD, we deserve an apology for KOTCS

I see the first three as valid entries, whereas the fourth was a second take at a belated ending. Another one will present a third ending. As both you and I have written in other posts, KOTCS wrote Indy into a corner. It was essentially more of a complete ending that merely riding off into an unknwon future.

Indy 5 would have to deal with the repercussions, and write yet another ending. Similar themes of age will no doubt be raised again, as this time they would be even more prevalent.

Darth Vile

I think KOTCS would have been a completley passable/acceptable Indy movie if done a couple of years after TLC. I agree that KOTCS works more as an epilogue to be enjoyed or ignored (I'll take the former), but it was destined to be viewed seperate and distinct becuase of... 1) Harrison's age. 2) The time lag between the originals and KOTCS. 3) Lucas'/Spielberg's insistence in re-treading old/safe ground rather than pushing the genre.

If Indy V is made, I think it's higly probably that it will be a better movie than KOTCS... simply because it's a 2nd attempt by Lucas/Spielberg to make a 'final' one. However, the movie will still have the same limitations of an old leading man and a producer/director who are arguably no longer in their prime (in this particular genre).

Crack that whip

Montana Smith said:
And that is why I will argue that another film will only humiliate the character further.

Not wanting to see the character get married is one thing, but I can't get behind it being a "humiliation" of the character, regardless of how you feel about it or what it suggests for the future of him, especially since the one he married is Marion. With all due respect, of course.

Montana Smith

Crack that whip said:
Not wanting to see the character get married is one thing, but I can't get behind it being a "humiliation" of the character, regardless of how you feel about it or what it suggests for the future of him, especially since the one he married is Marion. With all due respect, of course.

Because it will be titled "Indiana Jones..." yet due to the constrictions of age Indy won't be the dominant force of old. I don't see the desire to have more from a character when they can no longer do the things they're famous for. They should bow out while they're at the top, as had been planned in 1989.

Montana Smith said:
...yet due to the constrictions of age Indy won't be the dominant force of old.

Well, he won't be swiming the high seas to any submarines or escaping under any (moving) trucks.

But I could see him avaoiding some pitfalls, dodging some slings and arrows, pulling the trigger, sneaking through an enemy encampment and yes even kicking some ass...

...he's still got some short fused Irish **** and vinegar in him.

Indy's brother

Crack that whip said:

Agreed. For me, it's not because of any personal allegiance to Marion's character, but it succeeded in closing the books their tumultuous relationship, and answering the question of "Whatever happened to Indy, anyway?". I understand that the answer was one that many fans can't reconcile, but I've come a long way in 3 1/2 years. After all of the enjoyment that I've gotten out of this franchise, I can look past some flawed execution and see the movie they were trying to make underneath it.

Darth Vile said:
If Indy V is made, I think it's higly probably that it will be a better movie than KOTCS... simply because it's a 2nd attempt by Lucas/Spielberg to make a 'final' one. However, the movie will still have the same limitations of an old leading man and a producer/director who are arguably no longer in their prime (in this particular genre).

With the audiences expectations firmly in check, another film would likely be more palatable to fans and filmgoers in general. Kudos to Spielberg's handling of the ending for KOTCS, leaving it open for another film, yet creating decent closure for the franchise if need be. Besides, It would serve the purpose of giving KOTCS some company instead of leaving it as such a glaringly oddball entry to the series. If KOTCS is destined to be the last, it will always be relegated to the status of "franchise afterthought" or "curio".

Rocket Surgeon said:
I could see him avoiding some pitfalls, dodging some slings and arrows, pulling the trigger, sneaking through an enemy encampment and yes even kicking some ass...

Oh yeah. Though it's an easy to makes jabs at Ford's age to rail against KOTCS or Indy 5, he's not a feeble old man. He didn't come off (to me) as a doddering old fool in KOTCS, and I wouldn't expect him to in another film. Indy's character has the potential to use his age as an asset rather than a hinderance if done right. His experience should have made him more cunning, sneaky, and sly. Even more reliance on his wits to make the usage of his gun, whip, and fists as effective as possible. Don't want to see him brawling like a twenty year old college barfly? Then let him suckerpunch a few guys, and get the drop on some baddies. It's not beneath him. If anything, I would expect him to fight even dirtier now. Of course having it blow up in his face is part of the fun of it, too.

It could be done, though I doubt it will anymore. George has left it open, but he's grown weary of fans that don't go into his movies with the same flimsy expectations of popcorn films as they did 30 years ago. So his heart just isn't in it anymore.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
If KOTCS is destined to be the last, it will always be relegated to the status of "franchise afterthought" or "curio".

It was.

And it is.

They weren't planning a follow up, and Lucas is still scratching his head over what to do next.

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
It was.

And it is.

They weren't planning a follow up, and Lucas is still scratching his head over what to do next.

...and always will be the one entry standing alone off in the corner of the room, the Ringo Starr to the fab-four of Indy's quadrilogy, unless another film is brought in as a chaser. Which is something that I just can't get my head around. I was certain that more films were on the way. Why put all your eggs in one basket after 20 years with KOTCS? It would either be loved and accepted as bringing the character back to the fans as a seamless continuation Indy's adventures or, well, what actually happened. It's an incredibly short-sighted gamble on such a beloved franchise/character. After all these years, this was the only serious idea that got kicked around? There were no solid plans for a follow up....?

un. believable.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
...and always will be the one entry standing alone off in the corner of the room, the Ringo Starr to the fab-four of Indy's quadrilogy, unless another film is brought in as a chaser. Which is something that I just can't get my head around. I was certain that more films were on the way. Why put all your eggs in one basket after 20 years with KOTCS? It would either be loved and accepted as bringing the character back to the fans as a seamless continuation Indy's adventures or, well, what actually happened. It's an incredibly short-sighted gamble on such a beloved franchise/character. After all these years, this was the only serious idea that got kicked around? There were no solid plans for a follow up....?

un. believable.

That Spielberg quote posted by Raiders112390 might explain the anomaly of KOTCS:

"When I was done with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, there was a reason I invented the shot of Harrison riding a horse into the sunset--Because I thought that brought the curtain down on the trilogy and that we were all gonna move on and mature into other aspects of film-making and I never thought I would see Indiana Jones again. And Harrison was tenacious and Harrison called George and got George thinking about it, then George called me and he said, 'Well, Steve, what do you wanna do? It could be fun to make another movie.' I was the hold out. I was the one that said 'I'm done with this series! It was great! Let's walk away!"

Sounds like it was all Harry's fault!

Indy's brother

Here's the latest, as of yesterday:

THR: What?s the status of Indiana Jones 5? Steven Spielberg says he?s waiting to hear from you.
Lucas: I know, and I?m supposed to be working on it right now, but I?m talking to you instead (Laughs).

And 'Tana, of course it was. :p :rolleyes:

Silvor

I still eye a little light in the end of the tunnel. Seems to me that George is a bit more positive and willing now after the whole retirement thing. After all he himself specifically said Indy 5 would be a exception to that, which he had no need to.
Who knows, he might actually really be working on it for real this time. (fingers crossed)

The_Raiders

Montana Smith said:
If we can consign #4 to a dream sequence, we can at least have Indy riding off into the sunset in 1938.

I agree. An Indiana Jones 5 sounds amazing, but after KOTCS, what could be made to make up for that? Harrison is just too old. KOTCS doesn't leave room for another good adventure. A re-boot would probably be better than an Indy five (and I don't support a re-boot at all). They just need to (and probably will) leave it alone.
The trilogy is perfect as it is. ROTLA was absolutely perfect, by perfect, there's nothing you'd wanna change about it. TOD was perfect in my opinion, a different, darker, risky take on Indy that worked. TLC was a step back towards ROTLA, but perfect in it's own aspects, and had a perfect ending. Then KOTCS came along, and after that, there's no need for another. Another would probably end up nothing more than another film we'd gripe about.

No Ticket

Montana Smith said:
Because it will be titled "Indiana Jones..." yet due to the constrictions of age Indy won't be the dominant force of old. I don't see the desire to have more from a character when they can no longer do the things they're famous for. They should bow out while they're at the top, as had been planned in 1989.

Yeah, not many people I feel are really as interested in seeing another after KOTCS. They had left on such a high note in 1989, that people absolutely wanted another, but they waited too long to make it and they didn't really deliver on it anyway.

Honestly, I don't feel I want to see an Indiana Jones 5 for precisely the reason you said. He can't really believably do what he is famous for anymore. Sometimes it's best to stop while you're ahead. One more brush stroke would ruin the painting, etc.

Forbidden Eye

Raiders112390 said:

I think Steven knew the danger inherent in making another Indy, after Raiders and LC set the bar up high and created rules for Indy's universe and as expectations grew higher and higher about Indy 4 and Harrison aged. But he was loyal to Harrison and loyal to George and loyal to us. Let it not be forgotten that most of the fan base wanted, hoped and dreamed of another Indy. But Steven's statement above encapsulates my whole point. "It was great. Let's walk away." Perhaps we, the fans, should have walked away after 1989, when Indy's legacy was pristine and totally intact. But we didn't and neither did Harrison, Steven or George and thus we got KOTCS. And that has to be rectified. That is why I want an Indy V. I love TOD, but a lot of people don't. Imagine if the "Raiders" series had ended at TOD. It'd have let the character down. If LC was an apology for ToD, we deserve an apology for KOTCS

That quote from Spielberg was why I created this thread a while back. Hearing that made me feel that perhaps Spielberg should've let it go, and that they should've hired another director for Indy 4, with Spielberg only producing it.

Considering Frank Marshall said he viewed this as a "family reunion" perhaps that wasn't an option for them. But this franchise probably would be in much better shape than it currently is, with a larger fan-base, had they gotten fresh direction and not just let a select few control the fate of this series.

Montana Smith

No Ticket said:
Yeah, not many people I feel are really as interested in seeing another after KOTCS. They had left on such a high note in 1989, that people absolutely wanted another, but they waited too long to make it and they didn't really deliver on it anyway.

Honestly, I don't feel I want to see an Indiana Jones 5 for precisely the reason you said. He can't really believably do what he is famous for anymore. Sometimes it's best to stop while you're ahead. One more brush stroke would ruin the painting, etc.

Forbidden Eye said:
That quote from Spielberg was why I created this thread a while back. Hearing that made me feel that perhaps Spielberg should've let it go, and that they should've hired another director for Indy 4, with Spielberg only producing it.

Considering Frank Marshall said he viewed this as a "family reunion" perhaps that wasn't an option for them. But this franchise probably would be in much better shape than it currently is, with a larger fan-base, had they gotten fresh direction and not just let a select few control the fate of this series.

KOTCS was the boys coming back together for one more jolly. They knew it would make money, and sell some merchandise, because it was playing on the 'Indiana Jones' name. But that's all it was doing: playing with the name. The film and the story was little more than laughing at the fans. The care and the dedication that came through in the original trilogy isn't apparent. It was an awkward "family reunion".

The worst thing fans could do is encourage George to make one more to put things right. Because all he'll do is continue down the road he's set himself upon.

Steven won't be any help because...

Norba_death.jpg

No Ticket said:
One more brush stroke would ruin the painting...
Great way of putting it. Some people look at the painting and the composition is amazing, but thos eyes that follow you no matter where you are in the room are crossed.