Why haven't more people gotten into this show?

ReggieSnake

I've never seen any of the YIJC:eek: ; I'd like to:) , but the dvds are still a little to expensive at this point.:(

I noticed you said the dvds were released with the "tv-movie versions" of the episodes. For someone like me who hasn't seen any of the episodes, would you mind expanding on that point on how they are different, and what is missed/gained by watching them this way? Are all the episodes like this?

metalinvader

ReggieSnake said:
I've never seen any of the YIJC:eek: ; I'd like to:) , but the dvds are still a little to expensive at this point.:(

I noticed you said the dvds were released with the "tv-movie versions" of the episodes. For someone like me who hasn't seen any of the episodes, would you mind expanding on that point on how they are different, and what is missed/gained by watching them this way? Are all the episodes like this?

You are missing out on an amazing show!

To answer your question in regards to why people call the dvds "tv-movie versions" is the original series consisted of 45 minute episodes.Often with an 93 year old Indy re-telling the adventures of his childhood from the ages of 9 then 17-21. Later on Lucas edited episodes into the 'TV movies' you hear us refering too.For instance...The TV movie Trenches of Hell' was originaly "Somme, Early August 1916 " and "Germany, Mid-August 1916".So,Two episodes were made into one movie,Usually connected with bad bridging scene that was filmed years after the show ended.Every Old Indy bookend was deleted except for the one appearance by Harrison Ford who plays Indy at age 51 in 'Mystery of the Blues".

The first episode of the original series can be seen on youtube.Just do a search for "Young Indiana Jones: The Curse of the Jackal" It's in 12 parts I believe.Well worth the viewing,I really recomend you check it out!

Also,If you are curious about Fords involvement in the series both of his bookends can be seen here http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=11618

OH! Also Stoo has been uploading the original bookends..Just do a search for Stootv and be sure to check out his other amazing Indy videos!

Matinee Idyll

metalinvader said:
The first episode of the original series can be seen on youtube.Just do a search for "Young Indiana Jones: The Curse of the Jackal" It's in 12 parts I believe.Well worth the viewing,I really recomend you check it out!

Yep, please do! The best starting point for someone not familiar with the show!

Plus, I was the one that uploaded it to youtube! ;) So leave a friendly comment... or don't.

metalinvader

Matinee Idyll said:

Plus, I was the one that uploaded it to youtube! ;) So leave a friendly comment... or don't.

Wow,I had no idea that was you!So,Are you one of the people in that "John Doe a Deer" video?:p

Bjorn Heimdall

While I liked the show and watched it a lot when it was on tv, I completely lost interest when some Hollywood stuff was being thrown in (The Hollywood years or something) because those eps were a complete bore. :rolleyes:

Adamwankenobi said:
Then I guess they should stay away from Last Crusade. :p I mean, Indy comes face to face with Hitler, who signs his diary, and it is revealed that Indy has a father who ignored him as a child, a mother who died during his adolescence, and Indy is revealed to have been a member of the boy scouts as a teenager. Last Crusade pretty much took away any mystery that the first two films established. :confused:

I totally agree with you. Last Crusade is my least favourite for these reasons.

Adamwankenobi

Bjorn Heimdall said:
While I liked the show and watched it a lot when it was on tv, I completely lost interest when some Hollywood stuff was being thrown in (The Hollywood years or something) because those eps were a complete bore. :rolleyes:

That was "Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies", one of the made-for-TV movies Lucas and The Family Channel made after the series had been canceled. I agree that it was kind of bizarre and out of place.

Flannery10

Thanks to you Matinee, I saw some of the episodes I have seen many years ago and started to apreciate the Old Indy bookends!

Flannery10

Thanks to you Matinee, I saw some of the episodes I have seen many years ago and started to apreciate the Old Indy bookends!
I would have never guessed that was you, oh and maybe you remember me, too, I wrote you a couple messages (I'm Fred ;) ) Thanks for mentioning me on the Ireland Part 2 description.

WillKill4Food

herr gruber said:
I totally agree with you. Last Crusade is my least favourite for these reasons.
Naw! The scene with Hitler was hilarious. Here Hitler wants the diary and he has it in his hands. But he is so egotistical (and retarded) that he thinks a 39 year-old man wants his autograph!

ReggieSnake

metalinvader said:
You are missing out on an amazing show!

To answer your question in regards to why people call the dvds "tv-movie versions" is the original series consisted of 45 minute episodes.Often with an 93 year old Indy re-telling the adventures of his childhood from the ages of 9 then 17-21. Later on Lucas edited episodes into the 'TV movies' you hear us refering too.For instance...The TV movie Trenches of Hell' was originaly "Somme, Early August 1916 " and "Germany, Mid-August 1916".So,Two episodes were made into one movie,Usually connected with bad bridging scene that was filmed years after the show ended.Every Old Indy bookend was deleted except for the one appearance by Harrison Ford who plays Indy at age 51 in 'Mystery of the Blues".

Also,If you are curious about Fords involvement in the series both of his bookends can be seen here http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=11618

OH! Also Stoo has been uploading the original bookends..Just do a search for Stootv and be sure to check out his other amazing Indy videos!
Thanks for the info metalinvader! I'm excited to get started on this (by all accounts) great series I've missed seeing up till now.(y)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Matinee Idyll said:

Actually, I left a comment on one of the Mata Hari episode parts. Too bad for you, you won't work out what SN I am. :p

Matinee Idyll

Shia something or rather? :)

I'm actually alittle scared to continue uploading episodes, what are the chances of being sued by Lucasfilm for doing this?

Adamwankenobi

Matinee Idyll said:
I'm actually alittle scared to continue uploading episodes, what are the chances of being sued by Lucasfilm for doing this?

They've been pretty lenient with Star Wars, so the most you could probably expect (if anything) is one of YouTube's typical requests (on behalf of the respective studio the content in question is owned by) to remove a certain video or certain videos.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Matinee Idyll said:
Shia something or rather? :) I'm actually alittle scared to continue uploading episodes, what are the chances of being sued by Lucasfilm for doing this?

You're just jealous.:p No, it isn't. Besides I think there's plenty of stuff on Youtube that people could be sued for and I don't think there's a huge chance of getting sued. At worst, probably the vids being removed. But why would you remove content that you can't get in a boxset and gives joy to Young Indyfans everywhere. I mean, sure Lucas can't give us the movies we want, but can't his company give us the merchandising and DVD sets that we REALLY want?

The_Raiders

Bah, I don't need to see the young Indy films or shows, etc. i just like the movies, and the Indy products (hasbro stuff) comin out. :whip:

Adamwankenobi

The_Raiders said:
Bah, I don't need to see the young Indy films or shows, etc. i just like the movies, and the Indy products (hasbro stuff) comin out. :whip:

What makes you want to avoid the series? Give it a try. :hat:

Indianna1880

Flannery10 said:
Don't get me wrong now, I love Young Indiana Jones and a lot of you guys know that, but after some research and having seen most of it, I kinda realise why it failed:

1) It didn't have the real Indy feeling to it. Sure, there was Action and Humor but a lot of people wanted to see their hero recovering artifacts and fighting Nazis!

2) Lucas wanted this series to be for kids and teens. Now, here comes the problem. Sure, Kids love episodes like Vienna or Paris, 1908 but what about Verdun, Somme, Germany, let alone Transylvania. Some episodes were too violent for children to see them and some had just to much childish humor in them, for adults to like them.

3) One of the biggest issues also was Indy meeting that many historical people. He met at least 100 different historical peole throughout the series, and many people thought it didn't make sense. Well, let's be honest, does it make more sense to survive someone ripping your heart out or meet an 800 year old crusader! The series was there to educate and entertain, the films just to entertain and both had the right elements to suceed.

After all, Young Indiana Jones was a great TV Series, but there weren't enough people like you metalinvader, Matinee, Adamwankenobi, Stoo, Jeremiah Jones and me to save it. I know there are a lot more people out here who like Young Indy but those were the ones I could think of right now
the series failed for 1 major reason, and an ironic reason no less, and that is because... it succeeded in what it was designed for. it was designed to teach young people (18 and under) about history, alot of kids don't care about history and aren't interested in it. YIJ failed because it did a good job at what it was designed to do,BUT the age group it was aimed at had very little interest in the subjects it was teaching about. so the series didn't do well rating wise, but it used a great method as far as quality goes.

Also lets keep in mind...this is kinda like the "Batman Begins" of Indiana Jones through out a longer timeframe. This is YOUNG Indiana Jones. It's Indy as he's learning how to use his talents, as he's gaining some experience with a bullwhip, as he gains his taste in how to dress (leaving his shirt slightly unbuttoned, wearing his fedoria, wearing his leather jacket, etc), showing his how he gains his knowledge of the germens and nazi's. essentially it's the life story of HOW Henry Jones JR. aka Henri Defense BECAME the Indiana Jones we all know and love.

this series was disliked by so-called "indy fans" for the same reason Batman Begins was disliked by so-called "batman fans". They aren't TRUE fans. they think these characters are just born with all this knowledge, and they aren't. Then when they are shown how each respected character became how we all know them....they don't like it because "they lost their feel to them". this isn't like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix where you can just instantly Download millions of bits of info on any subject, this realistic, it takes time as in years for the character to become who they are. it's CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, it's a rare thing and highly under-appreciated thing.