Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 08-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #51
Willie
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipwreck
You can also check out Max's website at www.maxmccoy.com allowing you to keep up with his latest works.

You can also read my interview with him here:
http://www.theraider.net/features/in...w_maxmccoy.php
Thank you very much for the information. There's a real treasure trove here of all these books, etc. about Indy. Thanks everyone!
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #52
indyt
IndyFan

Reading Dance of the Giants right now. Just got through with Hollow Earth for the second time. Have to say, it is the best Indy novel out there. Wish they would write some more. Army of the Dead was not that good.
indyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #53
HovitosKing
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyt
Reading Dance of the Giants right now. Just got through with Hollow Earth for the second time. Have to say, it is the best Indy novel out there. Wish they would write some more. Army of the Dead was not that good.

Read Secret of the Sphinx. imo, it's the best.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #54
indyt
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HovitosKing
Read Secret of the Sphinx. imo, it's the best.

Yes, it was good as well. I need to read it again. Probably need to start at the beginning of the McCoy novels since they are all connected...to a crystal skull of all things!
Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 AM   #55
AnnieJones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieJones
The person who died at the beginning of the book I was happy to learn was a real person.His name was Evelyn Briggs Baldwin.
Here is a website about a book he wrote: The Franz Josef Land Archipelago: E. B. Baldwin's Journal of the Wellman Polar Expedition, 1898-1899
Here are some other websites I found:
The Franz Josef Land Archipelago, E. B. Baldwin's Journal of the Wellman Polar Expedition, 1898-1899
VISIONS OF THE NORTH: Baldwin: Hero or Villain?
Famous Folks
The only major and obvious historical inaccuracy I have been able to find about Evelyn Briggs Baldwin is he died in 1933 and in the Hollow Earth book he died in 1934.
I also found this website: Evelyn Briggs Baldwin Wikipedia(in Swedish)
I put it through an online translator and came up with basically this:

Evelyn Briggs Baldwin Wikipedia

Evelyn Briggs Baldwin, born July 22, 1862 in Springfield, Missouri, died October 26, 1933 in Washington, DC, was an American meteorologist and Arctic explorer.

Baldwin was a school inspector in Kansas, 1887-91 and member of the U.S. meteorological office from 1892 to 1900. He accompanied such meteorologist Robert Edwin Peary on his expedition to northern Greenland, 1893-94 and in 1897 traveled to Spitsbergen to offer Andree expedition-his service, but arrived too late. Between 1898-99 he accompanied as meteorologist Walter Well's polar expedition to Franz Josef Land, during which he discovered and explored Graham Bell Island.

In 1901 he became the leader of one of the American millionaire W. Ziegler North Pole Expedition expense, which the steamer "America" volunteer at the Franz Josef Land, where Baldwin meant at first open water penetrate to the north and passes through a slädexpedition reach the North Pole. Since the introduction of several food stores, he must be because of the heinous nature of conditions to return in August 1902.

He was later known as a lecturer and held minor posts in the U.S. Government, 1918-33. He was nearly destitute when he died in a traffic accident 1933.

Last edited by AnnieJones : 09-21-2010 at 02:45 AM.
AnnieJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 AM   #56
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyt
Yes, it was good as well. I need to read it again. Probably need to start at the beginning of the McCoy novels since they are all connected...to a crystal skull of all things!

It's a shame Lucas likely doesn't consider any of the novels canon.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #57
fenris
IndyFan

I just found the book in a bargain bin yesterday and bought it. Finished it today.

The problem for me was I haven't read the "prequels" to the book so I never understood the connection to the crystal skull and had no idea who the girl Indy was trying to rescue. Nonetheless, it was a nice story. I think this is my first Max McCoy novel as I have always been partial to Rob McGregor.
fenris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #58
indyt
IndyFan

definitely read them from the beginning. I did the same thing.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #59
AndyLGR
IndyFan

I got all the Indy novels when they came out and this is one of a handful I never read and put into storage, so after owning this book since it came out, what 15 years ago? I decided to read it this week and finished it in a couple of days.

First of all it was a mistake to read this in isolation after so long in not reading the others and I had forgotten the crystal skull and alecia threads. I need to start from the peril at delphi and read them in order again.

But that aside the deviation from the main story thread let this one down for me, it derailed the momentum by going to find the gold, or maybe the deviation was actually the journal that Indy was reading during his travels, but either way I think it got off to a promising start and sagged in the middle, whilst some of the scenes seemed out of place, like the dual and the head hunting mad man in the desert. All in all I think it meant the ending was rushed as a result.
AndyLGR is offline   Reply With Quote