Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular

nezobiwan

Niteshade007 said:
Ha, cool. My mom's 8th grade class is going tomorrow for Grad Jam (a night for 8th graders, although now I think that seems kinda silly to point that out, lol). My dad, sister, and I are going up and staying for the weekend too, just not going to the park Friday night, since we don't have tickets. The stunt show is something I try not to miss if I'm there. My favorite things at MGM are the Indy stunt show and Muppet Vision 3-D.

EDIT: I just realized I still call it MGM...oops. Bad Disney fan, bad Disney fan.

As long as it isn't the high school Grad Night. :eek: I've heard some horror stories about those kids back when I used to work at MK.

Last time we went to "MGM" we wanted to see the Indy Stunt show and there was some stupid cheerleader competition going on in their theater! I was so mad!

My favorite things at the Studios are: Lights, Motors, Action; Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (possibly my favorite ride EVER); and the Indy Show.

Have you ever been to Star Wars Weekends at the Studios??? My favorite things there are Jedi Mickey Mouse and Jedi Training Academy (that's my nephew battling Vader in the pic).

Niteshade007

My high school went to Universal Studios' thing instead of Grad Night, which I was extremely upset about. I didn't go, instead my friends and I went to Disney on a different weekend.

And I think I went to Star Wars weekend once as a kid, but I'm not sure. I still haven't even seen all the movies (although I think I am next week for a friend's birthday).

xfkirsten

nezobiwan said:
Not to mention the accuracy of said mill. :p

I'm actually going to Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly "MGM." I don't know if I'll ever get used to the new name) tonight for a special event. While I don't think I'll watch the stunt show this evening, I'm definitely hitting up the gift shop! Whoot! :gun:

Have fun! That's easily my favorite park of the four. I was actually just there last weekend for the Toy Story Mania testing. (it's lame, BTW, IMHO)

Attila the Professor said:
Good Disney fan, good Disney fan.

Amen to that. ;) I only call it Disney's Hollywood Studios in front of guests. :p

nezobiwan said:
As long as it isn't the high school Grad Night. :eek: I've heard some horror stories about those kids back when I used to work at MK.

Last time we went to "MGM" we wanted to see the Indy Stunt show and there was some stupid cheerleader competition going on in their theater! I was so mad!

My favorite things at the Studios are: Lights, Motors, Action; Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (possibly my favorite ride EVER); and the Indy Show.

Have you ever been to Star Wars Weekends at the Studios??? My favorite things there are Jedi Mickey Mouse and Jedi Training Academy (that's my nephew battling Vader in the pic).

I just worked all four Grad Nites. My voice is still recovering from all the yelling, and that was nearly two weeks ago. The problem with working a slow-moving, restraint-less attraction like Splash? Having to sprint through the mountain chasing down people who get out. Ugh.

I can't go to the Studios without seeing Fantasmic. It's an addiction to me. Although Disneyland's version is far, far superior, I still can't get enough of that show, even here.

Star Wars Weekends is coming up soon! I really hope I can get a day off to go. Unfortunately I've been working 70-80 hours every week for over two months now!

No Ticket

xfkirsten said:
So far as I know, there's no changes to it coming in the immediate future. :( And given the speed of the Disney Cast Member rumor mill, if there were changes coming, we'd all probably already know by now. :p

I heard something about incorporating the LC tank. *shrug* Not sure where I heard that.

nezobiwan

xfkirsten said:
I was actually just there last weekend for the Toy Story Mania testing. (it's lame, BTW, IMHO)
OMG, are you kidding?!?!?!
That's what I went to do last night (preview the ride) and I thought it was AWESOME! My husband and I rode it three times! He got 2nd highest score overall.

bonoferox

Well that's lucky of you both :)

I'm really looking forward to that when I go in March. Only problem is my fiancee was wanting to spend all day at the Magic Kingdom, so I'm not sure we'll even make it to MGM / DS.

I have a park hopper for it, so I may just have to steal an hour or two just to get to the outpost and the stunt show.

Niteshade007

No Ticket said:
I heard something about incorporating the LC tank. *shrug* Not sure where I heard that.

You might have heard that because Disney sells a small Last Crusade tank in the gift shop, and that's the only toy that they sell that doesn't appear in the show. Indy, Marion, Swordsman, Soliders, Pilot, Mechanic, and that plane thing all appear in the show, but the tank does not.

It might be a little difficult to work it into the show. I mean, the stage is big, but not big enough to do the whole tank chase, nor would I think it would be worth the money to get a tank to add to the show.

Anyway, I'm off to Disney for the weekend! YAY!

xfkirsten

nezobiwan said:
OMG, are you kidding?!?!?!
That's what I went to do last night (preview the ride) and I thought it was AWESOME! My husband and I rode it three times! He got 2nd highest score overall.

Ah, I thought the gameplay was fun enough... but nothing more than you could already find at DisneyQuest. There was virtually no theming on the ride - it felt like a ride through a warehouse. There was more in the queue than there was on the ride, and that's sad. And playing the exactly same target-shooting game 5 times in a row and only changing the shape of the targets each time got tiresome. Good idea, poor execution. It's enjoyable if you just want a shoot-em-up game, though. I wouldn't wait more than half an hour for it at the most. :)

Niteshade007 said:
Anyway, I'm off to Disney for the weekend! YAY!

Have fun! If you're near Splash, say hi! :D

nezobiwan

bonoferox said:
Where exactly is the TS ride going? Are they getting rid of anything?
They got rid of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. The Toy Story ride is like the Buzz Lightyear ride, except way better. You shoot at targets and score points. It's like a video game and you wear 3D glasses, but it's also a ride because you're in cars. I loved it. At least it's an improvement over stinky old Millionaire.

xfkirsten

nezobiwan said:
At least it's an improvement over stinky old Millionaire.

Ah, I will definitely give you that. :p

I think if they had spent more time theming the attraction better, I might appreciate it more. It seems like Temple of the Forbidden Eye was Walt Disney Imagineering at its peak and it's been all downhill from there...

Niteshade007

The Toy Story ride was open to passholders on Saturday, so I got to do that. I thought it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed it more than Buzz because I felt I had more control over the aim. There were some problems though that they needed to work out. For starters, we did single rider line so that we could get on faster (we had a lunch reservation at the Brown Derby, the only restaurant we hadn't been to at MGM), but it took longer. We were actually passed by the women who would have been behind us in line. That was because the guy directing the line would take two groups of three instead of taking a group of three and someone from the single rider line. Definitely need to work on that.

My score was pretty low though, so I won't tell.

And the Indiana Jones store was pretty bare. I wanted to get my friends and I Indy t-shirts for the movie premiere, but the only had three designs, two of which were adult sizes (one only available in small though) and the other a child's. I was kinda disappointed. I didn't end up seeing the show. We didn't have time because we had to see La Nouba, which my family loved but I was just okay with. I mean, the things they do are amazing, but all I could think about was what if one of them fell and died while I was watching, that would be so hard for me, lol, jk.

xfkirsten

Ah, I keep trying to stop at the Indy store after work, but they must close it early in the day, because it's always closed when I get there in the evenings. A bit frustrating!

I haven't seen much of the Indy stuff at Cast Connection, so it must have been pretty bare for awhile...

nezobiwan

xfkirsten said:
Ah, I keep trying to stop at the Indy store after work, but they must close it early in the day, because it's always closed when I get there in the evenings. A bit frustrating!

I haven't seen much of the Indy stuff at Cast Connection, so it must have been pretty bare for awhile...
I've always been pretty disappointed in the Indy store... :(

Kooshmeister

I've been to Disney World exactly once. We did go to the Indiana Jones stunt show. Even as a kid I was something of a nitpicker, and didn't understand the presence of Toht during the marketplace fight, but nonetheless I enjoyed it and we took several pictures. I think my mom was handling the camera. I'd have to find the pictures but they're mostly of the marketplace fight and the airfield fight. One of them is a really great shot of the plane "exploding."

I remember thinking that it was a bit too short, and how I wished they'd found some way to do the truck chase, but nowadays I get that the stunt players can only do so much and since they do show after show, it can't drag out for too long or they'll get tired. It was still an awesome show, and the stunt players who have done it in the past and do it now (if it even still exists; I've heard some conflicting stories) have my unending respect.

My other memories of Disney World are the Star Tours ride (I loved the almost life-size AT-AT they had out front!) and the Roger Rabbit Toon Town place where you could see the weasels' paddywagon and the steamroller from the movie (were these the actual vehicles, or re-creations? I have photos of both and they look darn close to the movie), but I'm told that that recently was closed down. Which makes the kid inside me very sad.

Niteshade007

It didn't "close down," exactly, as it was just a shop, but they got rid of the steamroller. To be honest, I haven't looked for the car, although I remember having my picture taken with it about a year or two ago by the restaurant that is by Star Tours.

ForbiddenEye

I saw Epic Yesterday for the first time in a few years.
(y)

Indy arrives...

picture.php

Duck!

picture.php

NaziSteam!

picture.php

:hat:

SPECTER

I went to Disney for the first a wile back and went to see the show saw the whole temple part but it started stormin real bad so they could not do any after that. I was dissapointed but we got some great pics of us with the Indy stuntman.

Junior Jones

Epic Stunt Show - 20th Anniversary

Twenty years ago today, August 25, 1989, the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular premiered at Disney MGM Studios.

From the D23 website:

As the Indiana Jones? Epic Stunt Spectacular! begins, Indiana Jones is spotted falling from above on a rope. He carefully makes his way through an ancient Mayan temple in search of a golden idol, but finds himself in peril amidst deadly obstacles such as sharp metal spikes shooting into the air, where one misstep could mean certain doom. He manages his way to the priceless idol he has been seeking, he snatches it, and before long finds himself racing ahead of a giant boulder rolling right at him. When Indy appears to be merely inches in front of the boulder, and perhaps "rolled over," a voice is suddenly heard, "Oh no! See if he's okay!" That's the voice of the director, who then provides a lead-in to a behind-the-scenes look at moviemaking. Many of the most captivating scenes from the first Indiana Jones film are recreated in this 30-minute live stage show at Disney's Hollywood Studios (formerly called Disney-MGM Studio), filled with exciting stunts and special effects. This stunt spectacular which opened on this day in 1989 is based on the works of George Lucas, but was not his first presence in Disney parks. He was the executive producer of the Disneyland/Epcot 3D musical Captain Eo and the Disneyland/Disney MGM-Studios out-of-this-world attraction Star Tours.

DocWhiskey

This is one of the things that primarily got me into Indiana Jones. It had me imitating the show at home for years when I was a kid. I even got a few friends involved and put on a "Stunt Show" for our families one evening. We made a "boulder" out of a beach ball and tin foil, "spike traps" out of toilet paper holders and pipe cleaners, a jungle book plush snake as our "deadly cobra", and a bandanna and lightsaber transformed my friend into an evil masked swordsman. Good times. We had a ton of fun doing it.

I know my mom taped the show when we seen it originally back in the early nineties, 1991 or so. We have it somewhere. But every time I seen it, it still was fantastic. I haven't been to Disney World in about 6 or 7 years and I plan to go back when I graduate college next year hopefully.

Happy 25th Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! And thank you!