Soundtracks?

fommes

Nice work!

Two questions:

- Did anybody break the music files on any of the "Staff of Kings" games yet? Or anybody know of somebody? It would also be interesting for any possible John Williams unreleased music.

- I was just looking at the spreadsheet - and was a little confused about a few entries - like the "Bookend A" etc. entries. Is this music that is available somewhere SFX-free?

Cheers!

InexorableTash

* No news from me on Staff of Kings music. Once the price drops I may pick up a PS2 copy and see what I can dig up, but don't hold your breath.

* The "Source" column of the spreadsheet is inconsistent... the "TV Broadcasts / Euro VHS / Japan Laser Disc" (etc) entries erroneously imply that we have SFX/dialogue-free music, which we don't. (Unless Stoo's been holding out on me.) Generally the column indicates where a (relatively) SFX-free copy of track can be found, either on an OST, Promo CD, LEGO game, DVD credits, DVD extra, from the episode, etc.

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
This is the first of the DVD game tracks that is split. Hawkmen never had a bookend, but was the intro more abrupt in the TV airing, perhaps? That preamble does sound a lot like Vienna 1908 though...
From my A/B comparison, "Hawkmen" is exactly the same. (The only difference being the removal of the on-screen "Young Indiana Jones" title before the "Hawkmen" logo.)

Nice discoveries, Tash!(y) :hat:

InexorableTash said:
PS: Does anyone find this dialog from London 1916 very unsettling?

Indy: "Is that a Zeppelin?"
Vicky: "No, it's a time-traveler from the twenty-first century coming to see if we're all right."

I mean, sure, Vicky is well read and everything, but the potential for conspiracy theories from that line is astounding. If you discount the bookends, you could imagine quite the fanwank story there. :)
I don't have my DVD with me to watch this scene again.:(

fommes said:
- I was just looking at the spreadsheet - and was a little confused about a few entries - like the "Bookend A" etc. entries. Is this music that is available somewhere SFX-free?
For a few epsiodes, YES (German East Africa, Transylvania coem to mind), which is why I created lines for all the bookends in case others eventually surface.

Re: Staff of Kings. Don't have the game but from what I've heard on YouTube clips so far, the Young Indy stuff is all previously available. Hopefully, there are more, new tracks...

Inexorable Tash said:
* The "Source" column of the spreadsheet is inconsistent... the "TV Broadcasts / Euro VHS / Japan Laser Disc" (etc) entries erroneously imply that we have SFX/dialogue-free music, which we don't. (Unless Stoo's been holding out on me.) Generally the column indicates where a (relatively) SFX-free copy of track can be found, either on an OST, Promo CD, LEGO game, DVD credits, DVD extra, from the episode, etc.
Yeah...I'll have to change that. To clarify: In an effort to make a master list of ALL the music in EVERY episode, I was using the spreadsheet to get things in order instead of using my own notes. During the 2 weeks The Raven was down, Tash and I went on a blitz so the sheet is by no means a finished document at this point. Thanks for pointing out the misleading content, fommes. A different colour or creating a new column for that info would probably be the best way to go...

Matinee Idyll

'ello everyone, it's been awhile!

Does anyone know if the brass rendition of 'The Son of God Goes Off to War' from London, 1916 (it's the piece playing when Indy is farewelling Miss Seymour at the train station) is on the Vol. 2 soundtrack? Or if it's available anywhere? It's a gorgeous version. Also, the harp music playing while Vicky and Indy are in the field? Is that the 'Celtic Love' track? I need it so bad, found it on one blog - but the links had been removed. :(

Thanks!

Crack that whip

Matinee Idyll said:
'ello everyone, it's been awhile!

Does anyone know if the brass rendition of 'The Son of God Goes Off to War' from London, 1916 (it's the piece playing when Indy is farewelling Miss Seymour at the train station) is on the Vol. 2 soundtrack? Or if it's available anywhere? It's a gorgeous version. Also, the harp music playing while Vicky and Indy are in the field? Is that the 'Celtic Love' track? I need it so bad, found it on one blog - but the links had been removed. :(

Thanks!

Welcome back, Matinee! It's good to 'see' you again. :)

Good and bad news for you (not in that order). First, I'm afraid the rendition of "The Son of God Goes Off to War" (is that what it is? I know it principally from this episode, and didn't know the title of the piece; I used to think it was something composed for the episode, though one or two friends I've shown it to have since informed me otherwise) is not on the soundtrack. Instead, the track "Proposal / Reunion" covers the scene, and includes a fair bit more than is used in the final show, mostly developing the love theme heard during much of the young lovers' exploration of the countryside.

However, "Celtic Love" is indeed the music heard when Indy and Vicky are in the field (right after the meeting with Vicky's parents), and yes, it is on the soundtrack (obviously, given that you know the name of the cue on the album).

There's a lot of music in the show (from both its own original scoring and its specially-recorded versions of preexisting music) that hasn't seen release yet, alas. For that matter, there's still quite a fair amount of music from the four feature films that hasn't been legitimately released either, though thankfully Concord Records has recently gone a long way toward rectifying that.

Matinee Idyll

Someone was lovely enough to send me the first volume, and it strikes me again how brilliant the two composers were at capturing and distilling not only an evocative sense of time and geography, but many styles and composers. 'Still Life' (from Paris 1916) could have been one of Erik Saties minimalist Gnossiennes! Visiting Remy has the feel of a Beethoven piano sonata, Debussy and Ravel also surface throughout.

Wonderful stuff!

Last edited:

Stoo

Matinee Idyll said:
Does anyone know if the brass rendition of 'The Son of God Goes Off to War' from London, 1916 (it's the piece playing when Indy is farewelling Miss Seymour at the train station) is on the Vol. 2 soundtrack?
I believe the correct title is "The Son of God Goes Forth to War". No?
Crack that whip said:
Welcome back, Matinee! It's good to 'see' you again.
Agreed! WELCOME BACK MATINEE IDYLL!:D:hat: Great to hear from you. As I'm sure you may well have noticed, we've made a lot of progress discovering more Young Indy tracks while you've been away. Bits'n'bobs from here & there but the wealth of new material is overwhelming.
Matinee Idyll said:
Visiting Remy has the feel of a Beethoven piano sonata
Yes, it reminds me of "Moonlight Sonata". I also like what you wrote about the "evocative sense of time and geography" because it is so true. The music is outstanding and a large contribution to the quality of the series.

Matinee Idyll

Stoo said:
I believe the correct title is "The Son of God Goes Forth to War". No?

'Goes Forth' - quite right, my mistake! And of course, it uses the same melody as the old Irish tune 'The Minstrel Boy'. So I should have probably called it that anyway (I don't want to give the Lutherans any more publicity)! ;)

indyartist

just got the 5 disc box set. am listening to Raiders right now. Love it. Look forward to the rest of them. Includes a lot of never released music throughout the collection. It really inspires me when I paint Indy.

indyartist

indyartist said:
just got the 5 disc box set. am listening to Raiders right now. Love it. Look forward to the rest of them. Includes a lot of never released music throughout the collection. It really inspires me when I paint Indy.
sorry, just realized this was a thread for Young Indy. Is there a thread for adult Indy soundtracks?

Matinee Idyll

Check out the 1:29 mark of this performance of Ralph Vaughan Williams' 'Lark Ascending', and see if it reminds you of anything. ;)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsOOQB0uA5Q&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FsOOQB0uA5Q&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

InexorableTash

Stoo

indyartist said:
sorry, just realized this was a thread for Young Indy. Is there a thread for adult Indy soundtracks?
For a thread at The Raven, there's also this: The Complete Soundtracks Collection

Matinee Idyll said:
Check out the 1:29 mark of this performance of Ralph Vaughan Williams' 'Lark Ascending', and see if it reminds you of anything.
Damn, it's "Celtic Love"! Same notes. Same key. Nice find, Matinee!:hat:

Inexorable Tash said:
(To which I say: sure, 4 films, that's easy. Now try tackling 29-ish episodes, depending on how you slice it... )
Hear ya! We've come a long way but aren't quite finished yet.;)

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Matinee Idyll said:
Check out the 1:29 mark of this performance of Ralph Vaughan Williams' 'Lark Ascending', and see if it reminds you of anything. ;)

Damn, it's "Celtic Love"! Same notes. Same key. Nice find, Matinee!:hat:

Most of the same notes, anyway; it does diverge slightly, but it's clearly based on that little snippet of the Vaughan Williams selection. Joel McNeely acknowledges Vaughan Williams' influence in the soundtrack's liner notes (also citing Britten, Finzi and Elgar), though not noting specifically what came from what.

He goes on to note:

YIJC composer Joel McNeely said:
Along with his pal Remy, Indy enlists in the Belgian army after some creative embellishing about his name, age and citizenship. This enlisting sequence utilizes an old English military song, Minstrel Boy, as its theme.

Here's another YouTube video I found on a search for "Minstrel Boy." The poster writes in the info box:

This is a mash-up of two songs, really. The opening verse is from "The Son of God Goes Forth to War" (the lyrics, anyway), and then the second part is "The Minstrel Boy."

T.E.Lawrence

Matinee and Whip...thank so much for those comments-posts. You have made my day. This is so beautiful. I will definetly look up for the source. This song is so touching and the images of the Indy at the train station now can't escape from the subjective context in my mind :D

London is so strong and touching episode...I will never forgett that sad scene in the moonlight when Indy throves the ring in the river :(

Maybe we could open special thread for outside music-links-inspiration-connections and also thread about some other soundtracks-series that also have similar atmosphere or historical-geographical connections - that would be interesting - I have a few on the list already :D Will write soon about that.

Again, thanks so much for this. I can't stop to listen those youtube clips...

Crack that whip

T. E., you're entirely welcome (and I owe you far greater thanks for your efforts in documenting sources for all this wonderful music!). :hat: I'm looking forward to using your information to building a more complete Indy music library / playlist.

Matinee Idyll said:
'Goes Forth' - quite right, my mistake! And of course, it uses the same melody as the old Irish tune 'The Minstrel Boy'. So I should have probably called it that anyway (I don't want to give the Lutherans any more publicity)! ;)

Whoops - somehow I totally missed the "Minstrel Boy" mention in this earlier post of yours, Matinee, and thought I'd uncovered some new information. :eek: My mistake!

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Here's another YouTube video I found on a search for "Minstrel Boy." The poster writes in the info box:
Beautiful rendition! This tune is used poignantly throughout "The Man Who Would Be King". Michael Caine even sings it as Sean Connery...........(I won't give it away...) Hands down, one of my favourite movies.

T.E.Lawrence said:
Maybe we could open special thread for outside music-links-inspiration-connections and also thread about some other soundtracks-series that also have similar atmosphere or historical-geographical connections - that would be interesting - I have a few on the list already Will write soon about that.
Go for it, T.E. (or should we call you, "Ned"). I'm game.:hat:

@Matinee Idyll
We have a good team here. Inexorable Tash, Crack that whip, fommes & T.E. Lawrence are all stand-up guys. (Not sure if you know them since you were away for awhile.)

Matinee Idyll

Stoo said:
Beautiful rendition! This tune is used poignantly throughout "The Man Who Would Be King". Michael Caine even sings it as Sean Connery...........(I won't give it away...) Hands down, one of my favourite movies.

@Matinee Idyll
We have a good team here. Inexorable Tash, Crack that whip, fommes & T.E. Lawrence are all stand-up guys. (Not sure if you know them since you were away for awhile.)

Goodness me yes - Huston is one of my favourite American directors, and 'Man Who Would Be King' is his finest masterpiece. Gives me shivers just thinking of that end sequence. Nice one Stoo!

Nice to meet everyone!

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
We have a good team here. Inexorable Tash, Crack that whip, fommes & T.E. Lawrence are all stand-up guys.

Thanks for the kind words, friend. I do have a little problem with procrastination, and have been meaning to make some more music-related contributions to Indy fandom endeavors (wiki contributions, among other things; I also need to send someone something), but I really do intend to follow through on my commitments (I swear!). In the meantime I'm happy to enjoy your own contributions (and fommes', T.E.'s, Tash's and Matinee's).
:hat:

T.E.Lawrence

As far as I can see after some listening and some research it seems that the theme when Indy is on the train station is "Minstral Boy" as it is already mentioned in the thread.

But I was confused why was "The Son of God goes forth to war" hymn mentioned together with Minstral Boy, but as Stoo and others have already noted, Minstral Boy tune is used in Huston's film "The Man Who Would be King". But as I can now see the tune in the movie is used together with the "The Son of God goes forth to war" lyrics. So I guess that is the reason why the songs are mentioned together altough the tune is from Minstral Boy.

Anyway I was so inspired by this thread that I have prepared material in question for my good thread colleagues :)

Prepare to be PM'ed in a few minutes :D

Edited: Compilation is sent :)

Last edited: