"See you tomorrow, Indiana Jones."

AlivePoet

(I searched and wasn't able to find a thread related specifically to this topic, but if there is one, please feel free to merge this with that. Anyway, on to the main topic.)

Paging through the original Raiders story conference transcript, I noticed the part where George says that Indy does not wish to leave the Raven without the medallion; so, he plots how to take it, but ultimately ends up saving Marion's life instead.

In the final film version, where does Indy go for the brief minutes before Toht's arrival? Are there any indications? I've watched the scene many times and have not come to a conclusion about this, wondering if anyone has some ideas.

What Truck?

Indy goes to leave, sees Toht arriving, hides, and then when things go to hell steps in to save the day.

At least, that's how I've always pictured the scene playing out.

Darth Vile

What Truck? said:
Indy goes to leave, sees Toht arriving, hides, and then when things go to hell steps in to save the day.

I seem to remember something like that in the novel...

AnImaginaryBoy

I always thought the moment when Marion sees the flame blowing in the wind after she thinks Indy has left and she's looking at the medallion was when he snuck back in again, but maybe I'm wrong!

Kevin

What Truck? said:

That's what I always figured as well. Everyone is so caught up in burning Marion's face that they don't notice Indy slip back in. Although that doesn't explain how the giant sherpa didn't see Indy re-enter.

In the novel, I think he gets in his car and drives away, but sees Toht and his goons going in the bar and comes back.

AlivePoet

Kevin said:
That's what I always figured as well. Everyone is so caught up in burning Marion's face that they don't notice Indy slip back in. Although that doesn't explain how the giant sherpa didn't see Indy re-enter.

In the novel, I think he gets in his car and drives away, but sees Toht and his goons going in the bar and comes back.

Car?

What car?

Kevin

Lonsome_Drifter said:
What I wanna know is why did Indy look back like someone stepped over his grave when Marion said this?

Because he just dropped some serious cash, and in exchange all he got was a request to come back tomorrow. I think he's worried that Marion will screw him over and leave.

The Drifter

Kevin said:
Because he just dropped some serious cash, and in exchange all he got was a request to come back tomorrow. I think he's worried that Marion will screw him over and leave.

Yeah, but his face looks like he had some sort of premonition. It was like he knew something bad was about to go down.
So maybe he just walked a few paces away and waited and seen Toht and his thugs arrive, and then came in to save the day.

vf wing

Or maybe he already saw Toht and his goons approaching from a distance and we were seeing his worried reaction.

:gun:

MaverickKing

I'd never actually given it some thought before. I guess I assumed he planned to steal the medallion from Marion while she was sleeping or something. It's a very Indy thing to do.

Chewbacca Jones

Lonsome_Drifter said:
What I wanna know is why did Indy look back like someone stepped over his grave when Marion said this?

I didn't think it was a "stepped over his grave" kind of look. I think at that moment he knew her and her tone well enough that she had no intention of being there come morning. He knows what he did to her, the amount of hate that might have caused.

After Indy leaves, though, Marion has time to think about the situation, but Indy has no idea that she is so uncertain. He watches to see what she's going to do. The rest, as they say, is history.

Saber79

vf wing said:
Or maybe he already saw Toht and his goons approaching from a distance and we were seeing his worried reaction.

:gun:

That's a good theory..probably saw the caravan approaching, looked back as if to stay, figured to see what happens, left and hid in the goat's pen or something to see what happened. i'm sure he had a feeling that he was being tailed during his journey. Probably crept in through a window in the back

I always felt that expression was a measure of the regret he felt after what happened between him and Marion. She obviously hates him. He was worried about the visit, as he confided in Marcus, maybe he was expecting to sweep her into his arms... 'see you tomorrow Indiana Jones' has such desdain in it

The Drifter

Jeremiah Jones said:
I always felt that expression was a measure of the regret he felt after what happened between him and Marion. She obviously hates him. He was worried about the visit, as he confided in Marcus, maybe he was expecting to sweep her into his arms... 'see you tomorrow Indiana Jones' has such desdain in it

Good theory.
He does look hurt after she says that. It looks like he is hesitant about leaving the bar at that point, but he does so anyway.

Robyn

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Good theory.
He does look hurt after she says that. It looks like he is hesitant about leaving the bar at that point, but he does so anyway.

I like how when she first says "This is my place! Get out!!" He ignores her and stays lol

*btw sorry if I confused some of you, this is me ronicle, I just asked Gilles to change it for me.*

Insomniac

I think according to early discussions between the Spielberg and Goerge he gets back in the car and plots how he will steal it from her or trick her into giving it to him but was most likely cut out because it makes him too "weasely" check the Raiders discussion between Spielberg, Kasdan and Lucas.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

This is from Campbell Black’s novelisation of ROTLA:

“Indy trembled in the freezing night air as he went toward the car. He sat inside for a time. What was he supposed to do now? Drive around this hole until morning? He wasn’t likely to find any three-star hotel in Patan, nor did he relish the idea of spending the night asleep in the car. By morning he’d be frozen solid as a Popsicle. Maybe, he thought, I’ll give her some time and then she’ll soften and I can go back…Indy drove off slowly.

He didn’t see the shadow in the doorway across the street, the shadow of a raincoated man who had boarded the DC-3 in Shanghai, a man by the name of Toht who had been sent to Patan at the express request of the Third Reich Special Antiquities Collection…They paused outside the door of The Raven, watching Indiana Jones’s car depart in a flare of red lights.”

So, the implication is that Indy did drive around Patan, and by luck returned to The Raven just in time to save Marion, in typical Jones fashion. He hadn't seen Toht or his henchmen, he just gave Marion a while to cool off, and then came back hoping to spend the night at The Raven.

The novel is interesting as it came out before the film – I have a first edition paperback that advertises something along the lines of “soon to be a major motion picture”. For example, the truck chase is shortened in the novel– as I think the ‘stagecoach stunt’ was a late addition. The book does add a lot of extra unfilmed scenes, but infuriatingly still does not explain why the trek through Peru ended with a quick dash to the ‘plane!

Matt

Last edited:

Peru1936

Montana Smith said:
This is from Campbell Black?s novelisation of ROTLA:

?Indy trembled in the freezing night air as he went toward the car. He sat inside for a time. What was he supposed to do now? Drive around this hole until morning? He wasn?t likely to find any three-star hotel in Patan, nor did he relish the idea of spending the night asleep in the car. By morning he?d be frozen solid as a Popsicle. Maybe, he thought, I?ll give her some time and then she?ll soften and I can go back?Indy drove off slowly.

He didn?t see the shadow in the doorway across the street, the shadow of a raincoated man who had boarded the DC-3 in Shanghai, a man by the name of Toht who had been sent to Patan at the express request of the Third Reich Special Antiquities Collection?They paused outside the door of The Raven, watching Indiana Jones?s car depart in a flare of red lights.?

So, the implication is that Indy did drive around Patan, and by luck returned to The Raven just in time to save Marion, in typical Jones fashion. He hadn't seen Toht or his henchmen, he just gave Marion a while to cool off, and then came back hoping to spend the night at The Raven.

The novel is interesting as it came out before the film ? I have a first edition paperback that advertises something along the lines of ?soon to be a major motion picture?. For example, the truck chase is shortened in the novel? as I think the ?stagecoach stunt? was a late addition. The book does add a lot of extra unfilmed scenes, but infuriatingly still does not explain why the trek through Peru ended with a quick dash to the ?plane!

Matt

That's interesting that they mention specifically that it's in Patan, Nepal. Which one though I wonder? As the story mentions that it's cold, snowy, and a "hole" then it may be the Patan in the Inner Terai Valley in the western region of Mahakali, but that's unlikely since there are hardly any decent roads there now, let alone in 1936. It would make more sense that it's in the city southwest of Kathmandu. This too doesn't make much sense since the Kathmandu Valley never gets as cold as described (neither does the Inner Terai Valley). Then again, neither Indy or Marion (or the guy in the drinking contest) would have been in Nepal in 1936 as it was a closed kingdom and foreigners were not allowed to enter.

These little historical mistakes don't disrupt my love of the film or story, but I prefer when people know about a place when they choose to set a story there.