Will Batman beat Indy at box office like in 1989?

Indy's Fist

Will The Dark Knight be a better box office draw than Indy 4? As many know 1989 marked they year that started the "summer blockbuster rollercoaster" meaning the rapid release of huge money maker movies week after week in the summer. In 1989 Batman was tops at the BO. Will Dark Knight do the same? I think so!

Indy's Fist

Lady in Red said:
Most likely, yes. Highly anticipated film, and it being Heath Ledger's last film will drag people to see it.
I think more importantly is that Chris Nolan is what Speilberg used to be, a great director. Batman Begins was just incredible and Dark Knight looks just as good if not better. But yeah Heath Ledger dosen't just star as the Joker he becomes the Joker!

James

It depends on how word-of-mouth ends up being for Indy 4. The online backlash will probably hurt it among younger demographics, but Indy tilts towards an older crowd anyway. And so far, older audiences don't seem to have as many problems with it.

Dark Knight will likely post higher numbers on opening weekend, since it holds a higher appeal for younger audiences. But it's also arriving very late in the summer season. If Indy maintains a decent hold at the box office, it will have a lot more prime weekends to build a steady gross.

agentsands77

Maybe so. But THE DARK KNIGHT will also be a very dark film... it's not going to have the family market, so that could hurt its take. It's very much up in the air. Both are going to be giant smashes, but it's a matter of how much.

Avilos

I think Ledger's death could turn some people away from seeing it. So much of the tabloid rumors are about how the Joker playing disturbed and depressed him so much he could not sleep. Which lead to the pills she took. How many parents are going to allow their children to see a movie with that reputation?

Also how do you define "young"? The disappointed and angry fans seemed to be only those in their late teens and in their twenties. Or hardcore film geeks. But the biggest segment of the movie going audience is preteens and high schoolers. Who are going to be much more forgiving of Indy than those who have memorized every scene in the early films.

Plus you have the older audience that is turning out for Indy. Very few movies these days are of interest to that generation. But the names Ford and Spielberg mean something to them. They just want a clean and fun film. Which are few and far between these days. Plus older viwers tend to wait until a movie is out for a while and don't rush to see it right away. SO Indy's legs are going to be good.

I love Nolan's Batman but its hard to know how much its audience will expand over the $200 Million the first made.

All that said - I never make Box Office predictions! There are so many factors that can not be known. Gas Prices are soaring higher than ever! That is bound to make people more choosy in what movies they see this summer.

Last edited:

agentsands77

Avilos said:
I think Ledger's death could turn some people away from seeing it.
I think his death has had the opposite effect - there's more attention and curiosity regarding THE DARK KNIGHT as a result.

Avilos said:
Some much o f the tabloid rumors are about how playing disturbed and depressed him so much
he could not sleep. Which lead to the pill she took. How many parents are going to allow their children to see a movie with that reputation?
I don't think such background will have anything to do with parents reaction to the film. The parents will only be concerned about the content in the film itself.

Avilos

Well the rumors are that he was depressed about the content of the film. That it actually bothered him playing the Joker. That must be because of the types of things the Joker does.

Indy's Fist

Avilos said:
I think Ledger's death could turn some people away from seeing it. Some much of the tabloid rumors are about how the Joker playing disturbed and depressed him so much he could not sleep. Which lead to the pills she took. How many parents are going to allow their children to see a movie with that reputation?

Also how do you define "young"? The disappointed and angry fans seemed to be only those in their late teens and in their twenties. Or hardcore film geeks. But the biggest segment of the movie going audience is preteens and high schoolers. Who are going to be much more forgiving of Indy than those who have memorized every scene in the early films.

Plus you have the older audience that is turning out for Indy. Very few movies these days are of interest to that generation. But the names Ford and Spielberg mean something to them. They just want a clean and fun film. Which are few and far between these days. Plus older viwers tend to wait until a movie is out for a while and don't rush to see it right away. SO Indy's legs are going to be good.

I love Nolan's Batman but its hard to know how much its audience will expand over the $200 Million the first made.

All that said - I never make Box Office predictions! There are so many factors that can not be known. Gas Prices are soaring higher than ever! That is bound to make people more choosy in what movies they see this summer.

I don't think Ledger's death will keep people away from this movie. In some ways it may help the movie's overall take, in a sadistic way.

Crusade>Raiders

Well Batman Begins made $205,343,774 Domestic(in USA basically), and $166,510,009 foreign for a total of $371,853,783. This might look like an unstoppable number, but Indy is set to hit 300 million in America ALONE(160 mil is very likely for this 5-day Memorial Day weekend).

The Dark Knight should make more money than Begins, and it will be a great film I think(in fact, besides Indy 4 its the one movie I want to see the most. Batman is the coolest dude ever...sorry Indy and John McClane :( ). The whole Ledger death might draw more attention to the film, even though its appeal might not be as big as Indy(but seriously, who doesn't like Batman? He has the brains of Sherlock Holmes and the moves of a highly-trained ninja. Plus an almost limitless supply of money). I think Indy 4 might make more money than Batman this year, but I have to see what the final numbers for Iron Man/Wall-E are before its the BO king of '08

Off-topic a bit, but how come nobody has figured out Bruce Wayne = Batman.

Detective A: Batman appears to be in great psychical shape, lives in Gotham City, has enough money to buy expensive gear/equipment/vehicles, is injured a lot, and has an excuse for leaving any social event at any time.

Dectective B: My God...he could be anybody!

:rolleyes: Yeah, just how many white, extremely rich billionaires with excuses for every injury live in Gotham City?

Indy's Fist

Crusade>Raiders said:
Well Batman Begins made $205,343,774 Domestic(in USA basically), and $166,510,009 foreign for a total of $371,853,783. This might look like an unstoppable number, but Indy is set to hit 300 million in America ALONE(160 mil is very likely for this 5-day Memorial Day weekend).

The Dark Knight should make more money than Begins, and it will be a great film I think(in fact, besides Indy 4 its the one movie I want to see the most. Batman is the coolest dude ever...sorry Indy and John McClane :( ). The whole Ledger death might draw more attention to the film, even though its appeal might not be as big as Indy(but seriously, who doesn't like Batman? He has the brains of Sherlock Holmes and the moves of a highly-trained ninja. Plus an almost limitless supply of money). I think Indy 4 might make more money than Batman this year, but I have to see what the final numbers for Iron Man/Wall-E are before its the BO king of '08

Detective A: Batman appears to be in great psychical shape, lives in Gotham City, has enough money to buy expensive gear/equipment/vehicles, is injured a lot, and has an excuse for leaving any social event at any time.

:rolleyes: Yeah, just how many white, extremely rich billionaires with excuses for every injury live in Gotham City?

Answer to your off topic bit: Read Batman Year One graphic novel, good stuff!

Crusade>Raiders

Indy's Fist said:
Answer to your off topic bit: Read Batman Year One graphic novel, good stuff!

Oh yeah, where Gordon pretended not to see Bruce as Bats? Read it, classic stuff. I was just wondering why anyone with half a brain in the department hasn't figured it out yet(maybe someone who isn't as loyal to the good side of the law as Gordon).

MolaRam2

It is possible. If you asked me before seeing Indy 4, I would say that Indy 4 would be the box office champ of the year. It could still be, but only because Indy 4 is more family friendly than The Dark Knight, not because it is a better movie (assuming TDK turns out to be awesome). Plus, there will be another Batman movie in 2-3 years, whereas there may never be another Indy movie. I hope that The Dark Knight and Wall-E won't dissapoint me.

Shortie

No, I think a #3 will do fine for BM. I really want to see all the BM fan boys over at Super Hero Hype cry. :D

Lady in Red

Crusade>Raiders said:
final numbers for Iron Man/Wall-E are before its the BO king of '08

Because Bruce Wayne acts like Paris Hilton. Seriously. He acts like a complete idiot in his secret ID. Would you believe Paris Hilton is the World's Best Detective?

James

I think Ledger's death will be a factor...but only up to a certain point. The people that consider it a big issue are pretty much the same fans that would've been going anyway.

With all due respect to Heath...let's face it, it is still Heath Ledger we're talking about. I think he was a great actor and it's tragic that he died, but he wasn't exactly a household name. Fanboys didn't care anything about him until he became the Joker. And even then, there was a great deal of initial disappointment.

After his death, I found it difficult to even explain to people who he was. If they hadn't seen Brokeback Mountain, all I had left was, "Well...remember that Mel Gibson movie, The Patriot?"

Eric Solo

I liked Heath Ledger, so I hate to say this BUT:

After seeing the latest trailer for the Dark Knight I'm not so sure his performance as the Joker will be all that good. I hope I'm wrong about that. Back on topic: I think it will be VERY close in terms of box office revenue.

Last edited:

|ZiR|

I believe that The Dark Knight will probably beat Indy. It seems like a silly comparison though; they're completely different films.

To me, it's like saying "oh hey guys, do you think quirky-teen-comedy-movie will beat twist-ending-suspense-thriller at the box office?"

And, not the appropriate thread for this, but the more I see of TDK, the less interest I have in seeing it. Nolan's annoying me too. The Penguin is too unrealistic, yet the Scarecrow's a-okay? (n)

Vendetta08

No, I don't think Batman will do better. Iron Man and Indy will be the top two during the summer. Batman probably will be #3.