Why do (some) people dislike Mutt Williams

Robyn

indyrocks1936 said:
I thought Mutt was a great character to add to the Indiana Jones franchise. However, I sometimes wonder how Indy would react with a daughter. I do have this idea however. Willie could come back to tell him that he and her had an unexpected daughter. And of course, who wouldn't want to see Marion's reaction when Indy would tell her of another child? Lol! I think she would punch him right in the face like in Raiders, wouldn't you? :whip:

That would suck really bad if that happened lol

Stoo

ronicle said:
And there couldn't possibly be any other reason that some people wanted Indy to have a daughter instead of a son other than being sex-starved?:rolleyes:
Yes, there is and I mentioned it above. So you don't like Mutt. You seem to have a lot of problems with many aspects of the films. A daughter could have ended up being as annoying to you as Mutt and Willie are.

ronicle said:
I don't know how you think I want Indy to be the thin man because I want him to have a daughter.. but whatever... and my sister has red hair, but my parents have brown hair, I don't think hair color means anything :rolleyes: :p
I'm not saying that you want Indy to be "The Thin Man" BECAUSE you want him to have a daughter, I'm saying that you want Indy to be "The Thin Man" AND you want him to have a daughter. (By your own admission, you think "Doom" and "Crusade" suffer from a lack of Marion that not including her is like splitting up Powell & Loy). Until "Skull", Indy has never been a one-woman man. "There were a lot of Marys, kid", so who knows how many other illegitamite offspring he has sired. If Mutt was a daughter, then we would have had her, Marion & Spalko in, "Indiana Jones and Girls! Girls! Girls!".

Violet Indy said:
Hey she might have dyed it!!! Come on there's no evidence that Sophia and Indy went to bed.... then again there is that Youtube collection of soundbits from FoA... funniest thing ever! (I will hit you with the frying pan should you say I'm starved:gun:).
Don't worry, the starved comment wasn't referring to any females here. Can you just imagine a Muttette Droolers thread? Yes, Susan "Daphne" could have died her hair. I was just being facetious about that anyway. Oh, and being on the receiving end of your frying pan would be an honour, Violet!:p

Violet Indy said:
You know, I dye my hair red, both parents have dark and brown hair (real colour is brown) and you know, because the dye colour suits me a lot of people never realised that my hair's been dyed. Also it has been mentioned before by someone who attempted a timeline (it was posted a little while back and the person did get it pretty damn close to what it is now) that Susan "Daphne" could have been an orphan that Indy and Marion adopt in 1959-60. And Caroline is Mutt's daughter right? Personally, I like to think Spike is Mutt's boy.
Actually, as per the dialogue, Caroline is a grand-daughter (even though she looks older than Susan/Daphne). It would be cool if Spike was Mutt's kid, they both have 'tude, but that would make Susan/Daphne a daughter-in-law to Indy. Spike is cooler than Mutt.:cool:

Forbidden Eye said:
Greasers are cool...when they're played by Marlon Brando, James Dean, hell, even Henry Wrinkler.
...and even Danny Butch, the original Spike. Remember Spike Fonzarelli, Fonzie's nephew?

SpikeFonzarelli_DannyButch.jpg

Anyway, as previously mentioned, I didn't know who Shia even was before "Skull" came around so when I watch the film I see Mutt Williams and not LaBeouf. (Though I must admit, the Williams name is lame.(n)) People who don't like Mutt may eventually warm to him like I did with Shortie...'cause I did not like him at all in '84. Now, I see his charm.

Robyn

Stoo said:
Yes, there is and I mentioned it above. So you don't like Mutt. You seem to have a lot of problems with many aspects of the films. A daughter could have ended up being as annoying to you as Mutt and Willie are.

I don't have too many problems, I only nitpick..;) and you're right it could have been annoying if they picked the wrong girl to play the daughter or wrote her character wrong, i'm just saying it would have been interesting to see Indy with a daughter, since the father/son had already been done twice before.. and I suppose I don't "hate" Mutt, he just gets on my nerves:p

Stoo said:
I'm not saying that you want Indy to be "The Thin Man" BECAUSE you want him to have a daughter, I'm saying that you want Indy to be "The Thin Man" AND you want him to have a daughter. (By your own admission, you think "Doom" and "Crusade" suffer from a lack of Marion that not including her is like splitting up Powell & Loy).

I used Powell and Loy as an example of two actors who have great chemisty(Like Harrison and Karen) not because I want Indy to be like the Thin Man films.. But yes I always thought Indy should be a one woman(Marion) guy;) :p

Jono11

Darth Vile said:
The whole ?daughter? thing seems quite twee to me. I?m not sure what mileage that dynamic would have in it (unless they went the ?True Grit? route).
That criticism probably comes from the canon-is-everything crowd, who all remember that Old Indy had a daughter in the bookend scenes of the Young Indy show. While I think better work could have been done with a daughter (it's a little less trite, a little less played out, a little more surprising), it's not a huge problem for me. Indy can certainly still have a daughter later in his life (although he's already pushin' 60 in KotCS. He better get to work makin' that baby.)

at least the ?Indy turning into his father? idea is worthy of exploration (which I agree was not realised to nearly enough of it?s potential).
This is one thing I just couldn't disagree with more. I've seen it said by just about everyone who likes Mutt and the Mutt/Indy relationship (which seems to be the basic dividing line between those who liked KotCS and those who didn't), including (naturally) Lucas and Spielberg and probably McCallum and probably even Ford. (Interestingly, I think I read that Shia thought Indy should have had a daughter. He's a smart man, that Shia. Still don't like any of his acting.)

But I just find that argument all kinds of illogical. It doesn't make SENSE for Indy to turn into his father. The reason it fell so flat to so many of us is that it was just a weird dynamic. Henry Jones, Sr. became the man he was in Last Crusade by being that same man for all of his life. He was immersed in his work, but he was no globetrotting adventurer. He was a globetrotting lecturer, a globetrotting researcher. That's why he was still very much a researcher in Last Crusade. He'd never been anything else.

Why would Indiana turn into his father? Indiana, who lived probably the most exciting life that is even possible to live--a life probably more exciting and exhilarating than the life of Jesus (even if you take the New Testament completely literally)--has no reason at all to become a stuffy, doddering old curmudgeon. Indiana Jones does not grow up to be one of those "damn kids with their loud rockityroll music and the rassin frassin" guys who mows his lawn every other day.

sandiegojones said:
They gave Indy a son to show how we become like our fathers as we get older no matter how hard we try not to.
The thing is...we don't. At least, not all of us. Probably not even most of us. My dad certainly has a few characteristics of his father, but not very many. He's a different man. And my oldest brother, the closest in the family to reaching the "real adult" stage of life, is not turning out much like our father. All three of us brothers have our similarities to the man, but my older brother is a poet and an editor at McSweeney's. I'm a social worker and a comedian. My younger brother is in film school. Meanwhile, my dad's been a union lawyer literally his entire professional life. We don't all turn into our fathers. And it's not even because we don't want to. I wouldn't mind turning into my father at all--he's a great man and I respect him intensely. But I just am not him. And Indiana Jones is not Henry Jones, Sr.

Another frustrating aspect of the Mutt/Indy relationship: at the outset of their working relationship, Indy doesn't know that Mutt is his boy. Mutt's just another kid. Yet he treats him much differently than he treated, say, Short Round. As far as Indy knows, Mutt is just another youthful sidekick. Indy never met a sidekick he didn't like. He included Short Round, and Short Round become an integral part of the Indiana Jones Team (or duo, what-have-you.) But for some reason Indy treats Mutt like he's a syphilitic punk rocker brandishing his schwanz?

Finally, once Indy did discover that Mutt was his son, why did he keep him at arm's length for so long. Yes, he wanted to protect the boy, and he did acknowledge that the boy was his (kind of too quickly, actually), but he didn't really try to open up any sort of relationship with him until much later. He didn't try to talk to the kid about it. Indy, at least as I see him, is very self-aware. The depth with which he was able to speak about his daddy issue in Last Crusade isn't something you generally see. He strikes me as the kind of person who, upon discovering that he had a teenaged son he'd never known, would make every immediate effort to reach out to the son, and to connect with him, to give the son the father he deserved, and the father that Indy himself hadn't had until he was almost 40.

sandiegojones said:
Like it or not, Harrison Ford is a lot older and having Mutt in the film made sense as a way to get Marion back into the series
The Darabont draft had Marion in it. And it didn't have Mutt in it.

Also, Shia just isn't that good of an actor, and if he would have been cut from the film, it would have been leaner and meaner. Indy also could have had more to do. Indy's son or not, a sidekick is a sidekick, and this was billed as an Indiana Jones movie, not "The Jones Family!" It seems like everything great about that old Raiders story conference transcript has been lost on the older versions of Spielberg and Lucas. You don't just put in whatever you want. You have to make a good movie. Imagine if they'd made Raiders the way they clearly made Kingdom: we would have had a dogfight, and a mine cart chase scene, and an exploding island, and all manner of stuff that just didn't belong in that particular film.

Basically, someone needs to take George and Steven aside and do what Rick Rubin did for Metallica: put them back in the mindset they were in when they first started making this stuff, and get them to make a movie for an audience that is not already invested in them, is not going to buy whatever they sell on blind faith, and needs proof that a film is worth paying for. That concept produced the best Metallica album in over 20 years. It could produce a very lean, mean, excellent Indiana Jones 5. (And Star Wars 7-9, based on the Zahn trilogy. Just sayin'.)

You've been a wonderful audience, I'm outta here! I'm gonna go watch Indy 4 again for the first time since I saw it in theaters. Maybe Mutt isn't as bad as I remember.

Robyn

Jono11 said:
That criticism probably comes from the canon-is-everything crowd, who all remember that Old Indy had a daughter in the bookend scenes of the Young Indy show. While I think better work could have been done with a daughter (it's a little less trite, a little less played out, a little more surprising), it's not a huge problem for me. Indy can certainly still have a daughter later in his life (although he's already pushin' 60 in KotCS. He better get to work makin' that baby.)

This is one thing I just couldn't disagree with more. I've seen it said by just about everyone who likes Mutt and the Mutt/Indy relationship (which seems to be the basic dividing line between those who liked KotCS and those who didn't), including (naturally) Lucas and Spielberg and probably McCallum and probably even Ford. (Interestingly, I think I read that Shia thought Indy should have had a daughter. He's a smart man, that Shia. Still don't like any of his acting.)

But I just find that argument all kinds of illogical. It doesn't make SENSE for Indy to turn into his father. The reason it fell so flat to so many of us is that it was just a weird dynamic. Henry Jones, Sr. became the man he was in Last Crusade by being that same man for all of his life. He was immersed in his work, but he was no globetrotting adventurer. He was a globetrotting lecturer, a globetrotting researcher. That's why he was still very much a researcher in Last Crusade. He'd never been anything else.

Why would Indiana turn into his father? Indiana, who lived probably the most exciting life that is even possible to live--a life probably more exciting and exhilarating than the life of Jesus (even if you take the New Testament completely literally)--has no reason at all to become a stuffy, doddering old curmudgeon. Indiana Jones does not grow up to be one of those "damn kids with their loud rockityroll music and the rassin frassin" guys who mows his lawn every other day.

The thing is...we don't. At least, not all of us. Probably not even most of us. My dad certainly has a few characteristics of his father, but not very many. He's a different man. And my oldest brother, the closest in the family to reaching the "real adult" stage of life, is not turning out much like our father. All three of us brothers have our similarities to the man, but my older brother is a poet and an editor at McSweeney's. I'm a social worker and a comedian. My younger brother is in film school. Meanwhile, my dad's been a union lawyer literally his entire professional life. We don't all turn into our fathers. And it's not even because we don't want to. I wouldn't mind turning into my father at all--he's a great man and I respect him intensely. But I just am not him. And Indiana Jones is not Henry Jones, Sr.

Another frustrating aspect of the Mutt/Indy relationship: at the outset of their working relationship, Indy doesn't know that Mutt is his boy. Mutt's just another kid. Yet he treats him much differently than he treated, say, Short Round. As far as Indy knows, Mutt is just another youthful sidekick. Indy never met a sidekick he didn't like. He included Short Round, and Short Round become an integral part of the Indiana Jones Team (or duo, what-have-you.) But for some reason Indy treats Mutt like he's a syphilitic punk rocker brandishing his schwanz?

Finally, once Indy did discover that Mutt was his son, why did he keep him at arm's length for so long. Yes, he wanted to protect the boy, and he did acknowledge that the boy was his (kind of too quickly, actually), but he didn't really try to open up any sort of relationship with him until much later. He didn't try to talk to the kid about it. Indy, at least as I see him, is very self-aware. The depth with which he was able to speak about his daddy issue in Last Crusade isn't something you generally see. He strikes me as the kind of person who, upon discovering that he had a teenaged son he'd never known, would make every immediate effort to reach out to the son, and to connect with him, to give the son the father he deserved, and the father that Indy himself hadn't had until he was almost 40.

The Darabont draft had Marion in it. And it didn't have Mutt in it.

Also, Shia just isn't that good of an actor, and if he would have been cut from the film, it would have been leaner and meaner. Indy also could have had more to do. Indy's son or not, a sidekick is a sidekick, and this was billed as an Indiana Jones movie, not "The Jones Family!" It seems like everything great about that old Raiders story conference transcript has been lost on the older versions of Spielberg and Lucas. You don't just put in whatever you want. You have to make a good movie. Imagine if they'd made Raiders the way they clearly made Kingdom: we would have had a dogfight, and a mine cart chase scene, and an exploding island, and all manner of stuff that just didn't belong in that particular film.

Basically, someone needs to take George and Steven aside and do what Rick Rubin did for Metallica: put them back in the mindset they were in when they first started making this stuff, and get them to make a movie for an audience that is not already invested in them, is not going to buy whatever they sell on blind faith, and needs proof that a film is worth paying for. That concept produced the best Metallica album in over 20 years. It could produce a very lean, mean, excellent Indiana Jones 5. (And Star Wars 7-9, based on the Zahn trilogy. Just sayin'.)

You've been a wonderful audience, I'm outta here! I'm gonna go watch Indy 4 again for the first time since I saw it in theaters. Maybe Mutt isn't as bad as I remember.

I really like what you had to say here, it makes sense and I agree with most everything you said! I felt like Mutt was in the way most of time, and is the reason Marion and Indy didn't get much time to do anything together.. I'm one of the ones that liked Darabont script a lot better! Don't get me wrong it did have flaws(such as the snake swallowing Indy) but the action scenes and the interaction between Indy and Marion were so much better! .. But basically I wanted Indy to have a daughter, the father/son thing was great in the Last Crusade, but it doesn't need to be rehashed with Indy turning into his father, to me that's not interesting at all... giving him a daughter could have been such an interesting twist cause it's something Indy's never dealt with before. But as it is I can tolerate Mutt and still hope for a daughter in Indy 5

Miss bubbles

Jono11 said:

read Games people play by Eric Berne M.D
it will help eplain alot about how we (as humans) and there fore Indy "turn into our parents"

Robyn

Miss bubbles said:
read Games people play by Eric Berne M.D
it will help eplain alot about how we (as humans) and there fore Indy "turn into our parents"

Well I can tell you one thing is for sure, that my Mother is absolutely nothing like my Grandmother.. and my Grandmother is nothing like my great Grandmother..

Darth Vile

Jono11 said:
This is one thing I just couldn't disagree with more. I've seen it said by just about everyone who likes Mutt and the Mutt/Indy relationship (which seems to be the basic dividing line between those who liked KotCS and those who didn't), including (naturally) Lucas and Spielberg and probably McCallum and probably even Ford.

Whilst you shouldn’t take the term quite so literally (no one actually turns into their fathers/mothers), people use the phrase “turning into your parents”, because it’s basically, in a broad sense, a truism. It's far from "illogical". People, on the whole, become more conservative with age, more entrenched in their own values/beliefs, and more risk averse (primarily because responsibilities increase with age e.g. mortgage, career, children etc). As someone now in my 30’s, I often hear myself saying things and think… that’s my dad talking. And even though we’ve led comparatively different lives (he is a retired professor of ancient history/archaeology and I’m in the music industry), my tolerances/intolerances and political views start to inch closer to those of my old man.

Is that nature or nurture? I’m not sure… but it’s definitely a reality. So whilst we are different people, and I'm certainly my own man, we do share many traits that only father and son can (unfortunately) ;)

I find that a lot of my younger friends fight against the thought of being like their parents... simply because they don’t see it themselves, or simply because they dread the thought of it… but unfortunately that doesn’t stop it being true.

Jono11 said:
We don't all turn into our fathers. And it's not even because we don't want to. I wouldn't mind turning into my father at all--he's a great man and I respect him intensely. But I just am not him. And Indiana Jones is not Henry Jones, Sr.

I don’t think Indiana Jones has become Henry Jones Senior at all. In KOTCS, Indy is now a man in his 60’s, and he’s shown to have developed some of his father’s petulant characteristics. It’s merely paying lip service to the notion that Indy is older and that he is, in some ways, his fathers son. Should Lucas/Spielberg have further fleshed out that older side of Indy? Perhaps… but all things considered, showing that change in a largely disposable manner was probably more apt for the action/adventure flick that KOTCS is i.e. not a character development piece.

Jono11 said:

I don’t really see that. I agree that KOTCS never fully capitalizes on the father/son dynamic, and the change after their true relationship is revealed (a true shortfall on the movies part), but I’ve always thought Mutt was (and is) a much more interesting character for a sidekick than Shorty.

Jono11 said:

One of the major reasons that Last Crusade works well is largely because of the father/son dynamic, and the performance of Sean Connery. I think it’s a reasonable assumption to make that Lucas/Spielberg wanted to reproduce that relationship in KOTCS. And IMHO, even if it fell somewhat short, that aspiration was a sound one for the movie nonetheless.

Jono11 said:

I see what you’re saying… but you can’t really change the way established moviemakers want to make movies. When Raiders came out in 81, Spielberg was a different man, the audience and audience perception was different too. IMHO - Lucas and Spielberg will never make another movie as good as Star Wars or Raiders. That’s not a criticism, but an acknowledgment of how special those two movies are. If KOTCS didn't do it for you, the reality is that no other future Lucas/Spielberg production can... because they are always going to emulate the formula of their own Indy movies (the result being KOTCS'esque).

On another note, as a long time Star Wars fan, I have to say that any SW movie based on Zahn’s trilogy would (IMHO) be inferior to anything currently out there, and is something I would never really want to see (unless a cartoon perhaps). :)

Jono11

Darth Vile said:
Whilst you shouldn?t take the term quite so literally (no one actually turns into their fathers/mothers)...but unfortunately that doesn?t stop it being true.
I think the notion is a bit of a wives' tale. I think the only truism here is that as we get older, we get...older. We do get more averse to change and entrenched in our own ways, but that has nothing to do with our parents. It has do with psychological developmental principles that are applicable to almost everyone.

KOTCS is i.e. not a character development piece.
But it does have characters who undergo a process quite like development. Unfortunately, they're just hamfistedly moved from place to emotional place. Characters were developed in the first three films; why couldn't they be in the fourth?

If KOTCS didn't do it for you, the reality is that no other future Lucas/Spielberg production can... because they are always going to emulate the formula of their own Indy movies (the result being KOTCS'esque).
I'm not as pessimistic. At any rate, I think my point is that they're NOT emulating the formula of their own Indy movies.

On another note, as a long time Star Wars fan, I have to say that any SW movie based on Zahn?s trilogy would (IMHO) be inferior to anything currently out there, and is something I would never really want to see (unless a cartoon perhaps). :)
The books that reignited public interest in the franchise and are, in a very direct way, responsible for the Special Editions and the Prequels? How could they possibly be worse than Clone Wars and Phantom Menace?

Darth Vile

Jono11 said:
I think the notion is a bit of a wives' tale. I think the only truism here is that as we get older, we get...older. We do get more averse to change and entrenched in our own ways, but that has nothing to do with our parents. It has do with psychological developmental principles that are applicable to almost everyone.

I would agree that part of this is simply an element of the natural maturing process. But that in itself is a reflection of how we turn into husbands/wives/mothers/fathers. And it’s only when we start standing in the footsteps of our fathers, that we understand some of the similarities we share (be they genetic or generic). So my point is that they were simply having some fun by showing Indy adopting a couple of his fathers traits (which is a simple/logical way of referencing the other movies and reinforcing the fact that Indy is older).

Jono11 said:
But it does have characters who undergo a process quite like development. Unfortunately, they're just hamfistedly moved from place to emotional place. Characters were developed in the first three films; why couldn't they be in the fourth?

I don’t think the other movies had much character development at all. The only movie that came close to some real character development (IMHO) was Last Crusade, which was very light weight in tone. Indeed, Raiders is a great example of how an action adventure movie can be good with little to no character development at all. The only journey Indy goes on is a geographical one. ;)

Jono11 said:
I'm not as pessimistic. At any rate, I think my point is that they're NOT emulating the formula of their own Indy movies.

Whilst we are kind of arguing the same thing (that KOTCS had room for improvement)… my view is that Lucas/Spielberg have emulated the other movies too much. And in essence, KOTCS is a hybrid of all 3 previous movies. Therefore, any real opportunity for originality was somewhat compromised when Lucas/Spielberg decided they were going to make an old school Indy sequel, very much in the same vein of the previous movies.

Jono11 said:
The books that reignited public interest in the franchise and are, in a very direct way, responsible for the Special Editions and the Prequels? How could they possibly be worse than Clone Wars and Phantom Menace?

The books may have rekindled some interest, but that doesn’t automatically make them sufficient for movie adaptation. Back in the 90’s there was a whole generation of fans out there (including myself), who were just waiting for something new in the Star Wars world. IMHO, at a conceptual level (even if the final movies don’t live up to the OT), TPM/AOTC and ROTS are a league above anything in the Thrawn trilogy. I'm not wanting to disrespect your opinion of the Zhan books… just offering my opinion as an unapologetic SW fan. :D

StoneTriple

Jono11 said:
Another frustrating aspect of the Mutt/Indy relationship:....Mutt's just another kid. Yet he treats him much differently than he treated, say, Short Round. ....He included Short Round, and Short Round become an integral part of the Indiana Jones Team....But for some reason Indy treats Mutt like he's a syphilitic punk rocker brandishing his schwanz?

Indy sees the vast difference between the two. Short Round was a younger, good kid, open to being mentored and having a father figure. Mutt's disrepectful & smug the moment he meets Indy - "oh...you're a teacher..that's gonna be a lot of help"..."get on gramps"...etc
He's old enough to be respectful, but he chooses not to be. He's still not terribly friendly at the end when they decide not to go into the jungle at night - "I don't know, why didn't you? - dad"

Indy sees what kind of kid he is and responds in kind.

...he didn't really try to open up any sort of relationship with him until much later. He didn't try to talk to the kid about it.
Same explanation as above.

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
I've said it before but if Mutt's a "Greaser", he sure is using something drier than pommade. Looks like mousse, to me. Mutt is NOT a greezer, he's a moozer!:p Anyway, his insecurities are a great part of his character. For those who would have preferred a daughter, you are either too Marion-centric...or sex-starved.:p

Through no fault of his own, Shia does not look like a greaser. Period.

He looks like he could have been a nerdy bookworm who then comes out of his sheltered life into a kinda cool sidekick.

But, though I think he's a good actor, he was just badly cast in that role.

Robyn

Lance Quazar said:
Through no fault of his own, Shia does not look like a greaser. Period.

He looks like he could have been a nerdy bookworm who then comes out of his sheltered life into a kinda cool sidekick.

But, though I think he's a good actor, he was just badly cast in that role.

I still say Mutt's character would have been much more interesting if he was a shy nerd, and Indy teaches him to be cool

Lance Quazar

ronicle said:
I still say Mutt's character would have been much more interesting if he was a shy nerd, and Indy teaches him to be cool

That would have been far more suited to Shia, but, as a character, it feels a little too obvious.

Unfortunately, Shia came across like a nerd who was trying to emulate greasers instead of the real deal.

Darth Vile

Lance Quazar said:
That would have been far more suited to Shia, but, as a character, it feels a little too obvious.

Unfortunately, Shia came across like a nerd who was trying to emulate greasers instead of the real deal.

Sometimes I can't help but feel I was watching another movie... ;)

Wasn't that the point? Isn't Mutt a fairly middle class kid (with a good education) who is simply playing the rebel? Judging from his propensity for tears and activities like fencing, Mutt's no more a greaser than I am.

What I find quite interesting is that in Mutt, they (Spielberg/Lucas) try and rekindle that conflicting/duel identities thing that they wanted for Indy i.e. academic by day, adventurer by night. Not sure how successful it was, but it looks like a worthy intention at least.

ronicle said:

I think Indy was teaching him to be tough...and leave the "cool" stuff behind. You can't say being a mechanic and riding a cool bike ain't cool!

Well, you could say it...but you'd be wrong! Mutt "fell into" some coolness...you could say over the course of the movie that Indy showed Mutt he didn't have to confine himself to one clique, he could be dynamic and of course not to judge a book...

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
I think Indy was teaching him to be tough...and leave the "cool" stuff behind. You can't say being a mechanic and riding a cool bike ain't cool!

Well, you could say it...but you'd be wrong! Mutt "fell into" some coolness...you could say over the course of the movie that Indy showed Mutt he didn't have to confine himself to one clique, he could be dynamic and of course not to judge a book...

Oh it definitely is cool riding a cool bike! ;) but maybe it could have been more fun if Mutt started off as a dork and Indy brings the coolness out in him, but you're right though Indy did end up teaching him how to be tougher without having to keep up a certain image

Raider S

Better story if Mutt's a dorky kid and Indy teaches him to be courageous and stand up for himself and what he believes in. At least it's as good as a stereotype greaser who dabbles in fencing.

Could they have made it any less believable than it was? That's the real question.

Darth Vile

Raider S said:
Better story if Mutt's a dorky kid and Indy teaches him to be courageous and stand up for himself and what he believes in. At least it's as good as a stereotype greaser who dabbles in fencing.

Could they have made it any less believable than it was? That's the real question.

Yep they could - Mutt being a booky dork.