Saucer Men From Mars script

roundshort

Finn said:
Well, you can't get rid of AIDS with medication. Syphilis you can...

Man I had a bad cae of the E-Coli thing, right on a bad case of the Sars a few months ago, god was I sick . . .

Canyon

Sorry to hear, roundshort *hugs*

As for this script, I have to admit, I've read better...

Finn

Staff member
Well, if there's one reason to pick AIDS over George Lucas, it's gotta be:

AIDS develops over time, Lucas doesn't.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Now that Saucer Men is widely available and read, and the ending universally hated, I wonder if anyone besides me believed the last two pages to be tacked-on. Instead of the wedding, Indy and Elaine could just as easily have parted ways after a debriefing in DC. Elaine's fiance, Dr. Benjamin F. "Benny" Morganthal, was so often mentioned early on I expected the staid chap to finally appear and rescue her from a life of adventure. It seemed like they were building up to a major cameo... Pierce Brosnan, maybe. Instead we got Short Round.

With a different conclusion, I'd be willing to accept Saucer Men as canon.

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah.... I just hope that Indy doesn't marry anyone in IV or he's already married before the movie starts kind of thing.

As long as it is Marion....

Brown Fedora

temple of john said:
Hell would freeze over before Lucas would do that...hopefully.

Oh John... how I wish you were correct. Would have agreed with you once. Then, I saw "Attack Of The Clones".

So I'm willing to believe Lucas will try -anything- that looks like it can be done with blue screen and a few no-name actors.

But still, this whole Saucer Men thing is SO out of the range of what SHOULD be in an Indy Flick... Eh. I've gotta say the odds are low. Even with my well registered objection to the whole 1950s Indy thing.

-B.F.

:confused:

misnomer

yeah I read this script about a year ago:sleep: .....I remember many of the beats being too similar to what we've seen before *turn left down the river! indy being unaware of impending dangers etc* and the movie not really having much depth. Indy getting married in the first act with little to no development of their relationship was also pretty strange. Willie and Marion teasing Indy at the bar was fun but most of the other characters show up for pretty much no reason-Dr Jones Snr is really underused too.

That said I actually didn't mind the alien route or the baddie as much as I thought I would but overall it's a pretty shallow affair.

I wouldn't mind this as an Indy film if they had made six of them or something but I'd definately be dissapointed with this after such a long wait for Indy 4.

James

misnomer said:
I wouldn't mind this as an Indy film if they had made six of them or something but I'd definately be dissapointed with this after such a long wait for Indy 4.

I had the same reaction when I first read the script. If it had simply been another installment in the series, it certainly would've earned a following over the years. But considering it was intended to be a swan song for Indy, I think it would have been considered a huge disappointment.

DarthLowBudget

This script is definatley....interesting. I read it awhile back, and as I recall it was a pretty standard action flick, not particularly Indy-ish though.

Does anyone know what Darabonts script was about? Was Lucas still pushing the Aliens button when he commisioned it?

I dont think anybody here at the Raven Bar Knows what the Darabont script was about. The way Darabont was so let down that they didnt do it makes me think he put alot into it and Steven really liked it.So it was probably great. I thought for awhile that Steven was going to incorporate his love for alien pulp into Indy 4. I dont think that now though because Koepp is writing,it would have had to be handled completely different from "SaucerMen"

The Whip

I don't have a problem with the aliens idea per say. But I didn't particularly like the Saucermen script. If they used the aliens... I would like for them to NOT SHOW THE ALIENS. Make the movie more about the race for the alien technology and using that technology against the communists instead of about the aliens themselves. More like Close Encounters of the Third Kind in that sense.

oki9Sedo

I read Indiana Jones and the Saucer men from Mars a while ago. One of the worst screenplays I've ever read. It doesn't feel at all like an Indiana Jones film, seeing as it has nothing to do with archaeology at all. Its about aliens and UFOs and Cold War espionage. How is that Indiana Jones?

Indiana Jones and the Monkey King was too over the top, but it was still entertaining and a lot better than the one above. Although obviously it was considered oly for Indy III and never for Indy IV, seeing as there are elements of Last Crusade in there - a speedboat chase culminating in a struggle by a propellor, fighting on top of a tank etc.

I agree,The "saucermen" story was not what Indy is about. I believe Darabont had captured something totally different and now that they are making part 4 I think Darabont will soon reveal what his story is all about.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The Darabont script was supposed to be Garden of Eden and Indy's daughter, whose mother happens to be Marion. That gets my approval straight away. I'd imagine they will probably keep the Garden, dunno about the daughter.