I fail at home improvement

The Drifter

I had to put up some insulation down in my basement. It seems that I bought the wrong width, and so I tried doubling it. That failed, and insulation is sagging everywhere. I'm gonna try it again here in a few.
My dad was awesome at stuff like this. I wish I carried those genes. Anyone else fail at something like this?

StoneTriple

Having purchased a house built in the 1950s which was in its original state, I've had to alter\improve\bring up to code quite a bit of it. Home repair can be daunting at first and there are learning curves for sure. It's a set of learned skills and it can be fairly rewarding. Once you get the hang of how structures are put together, everything becomes easier.

Some things I still leave for professionals - major electrical & gas. Most everything else I did myself - new doors, new windows, simple electric (fans, lights), tile, plumbing, molding, roof repair, deck building, paver installation, etc. I don't always dig it, but most of the time it's strangely fulfilling to tend to your own home.

That said; It was a learned skill through textbooks and trial & error. No exaggeration, I learned most everything from this book;

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Improvement-1-2-3-Expert-Advice/dp/0696213273

Great illustrations, detailed instructions, troubleshooting techniques, tools, etc.

Dr Bones

My Dad is limited in his DIY skills..I inherited those genes. :(

I can get by, decorating, puttting up shelves, change a light fitting, mend a leaking tap etc but luckily my house is fairly new so I haven't had to tackle anything too serious......yet!

I have learned what I do know through necessity rather than interest!

Like StoneTriple says, the good thing about having your own place is you have to learn unless you want to pay someone else to do it.

Buying the wrong thing for the job....done that more than once!

The Drifter

I have got the insulation job half-way complete. I am getting more insulation next week. Today I had to install a new waterline to our house from the main valve. It just had to be raining and muddy!