Who's Who?

monkey

Who's who?

Is Harrison Ford Indiana Jones? ..........or is Indiana Jones Harrison Ford?

(don't strain yourself, I know that this is a conundrum without a definite answer, but might be fun to discuss.)

Johan

well if you think about it...every single awards ceremony HF presents or recieves at, Raiders March plays as he walks up to the stage.

IndyMcFly

Yeah... and that may or may not be a good thing for Harrison. Actors sometimes don't like getting caught in the form of one certain character, because it limits possible roles in the future. For example, that's why Sean Connery gave up the role of James Bond, besides age, he didn't want to be THE James Bond, because then he might not be able to play a villain ever. But I think as much as I'd like to say it was the other way around, Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones.

In Christ,
Shane

This thread is gonna be great...

Johan

I remember when he came here to WInnipeg (to get to Gimli) To film the arctic ice part of K 19. At the airport in my mind I was just thinking I came here to see Thee...Indiana Jones!

ElodieJones

I think:

Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford.
Because, without Harrison Ford, Indiana Jones would not be like we know him.

But Harrison Ford is not Indiana Jones!
Indiana Jones does not exist. It's only a charachter.

Harrison Ford say somewhere he know that it's Indiana Jones who make him really a big actor. So he musst like the character.

I

Indy's_main_man

Harrison Ford is the embodiment of that character. His face is plasted on IJ merchandise:

therefore I conclude HF is Indiana Jones and always will be

intergamer

Attila the Professor said:
Neither, my friends.

Indeed. Harrison Ford is not Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford is an actor. Indiana Jones is not Harrison Ford, because Indiana Jones is not real.

In one sense that Indiana Jones is embodied by Harrison Ford, but Indiana Jones is also broader as an idea than the actor who portrays him. Harrison Ford is certainly broader than Indiana Jones. The only answer is that (the set all things Harrison Ford) intersected with (the set of all things Indiana Jones) is not the union of the two, although the two sets are not mutually exclusive.

And if Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford than Harrison Ford is also Indiana Jones by reflexivity. I suppose the question could be rephrased as to be a problem of relative perceptions, in which case the answer is that Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford, since our only perception of Indiana Jones is through Harrison Ford. But on the other hand, George Lucas the inventor of the character would see Indiana Jones far more broadly.

hmm, I'm going to stop now - sorry for the Stream of Consciousness

Junior Jones

intergamer said:
our only perception of Indiana Jones is through Harrison Ford.

Not for the most inclusive of us.

There are novels, comics, and video games to which Harrison only contributed his likeness. Indy's actions, emotions, and personality are portrayed by writers and programmers. And although those traits are based on the movies, they are not derived from Harrison Ford himself, but from something Harrison Ford created.

To go a step further, there are 43 episodes / 22 movies depicting Indiana Jones in which Harrison's involvement is limited to less than 10 minutes of screen time. In fact, as Indiana Jones, Sean Patrick Flannery has five times as much screen time as Harrison Ford. But he is not Indiana Jones, either.

In my opinion, people who limit Indiana Jones to Harrison Ford are missing out on a lot.

I

Indy's_main_man

When the public thinks of Indiana Jones they overwhelmingly think of Harrison Ford not Sean Patrick Flannery....because (no offense) the man people saw in raiders traveling the globesearching for exciting artifacts is more interesting then that same man as a teenager running around doing the same thing.

that's just generally. Most of my Indiana Jones fans don't care about young Indy because of the lack of

1) Ford

and 2) Spielberg's direction

so out of the two HF is more likely to be considered Indiana Jones then the young Indy actors.

whipem

As for your question, monkey, Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones (that's the one role that comes to mind if someone mentions him, or if I see a picture of him), and Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford (I can't imagine anyone else donning the fedora -- not including the two young Indys).

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Intergamer is right as is Jr. Jones. We have a somewhat limited view as who Indiana Jones is, but there are other means in which to view him. Therefore, Indiana Jones is not Harrison Ford and nor is Harrison Ford Indiana Jones. HF is just one pov to see Indiana Jones.