John Williams confirmed for Indy IV...

fixer79

Incredibly glad to hear that, Echo!

Indy 4 wouldn't have been the same without him!
(In fact I always thought it was a shame that he didn't do the Young Indy scores... Not that McNeely and Rosenthal didn't do a good job...)

Me happy! :D

Go, Johnny!

whipple

It's cool to think all this work is going on for Indy at this very moment. Great time to be an Indy fan! :D

Johan

Was there EVER any question as to who would do the score? Even if Williams died (God forbid) before hand...they would attach his soundtrack to the movie.

Gear

I am pleased. It sounds like Indy 4 is gunna be good. But seriusly, who else would do the Indy score? But still, this is cool.

Echo22

Yeah, I know. It's a big shocker - But it's just nice to hear confirmation, none the less. Williams' involvement is just about as important to me as Ford's or Spielberg's. His scores really take these movies to the next level.

Ste2652

Very predictable, but great news nonetheless - I always though the score that John Williams created played a big role in making the Indy movies what they are (who hasn't heard Raider's March?). I'm certain he'll do a great job on Indy IV :D

Gear

! Harrison Ford WILL NOT be returning as Indiana Jones!
He will instead be played be me, Gear Guardian.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
So glad he's back. Films like Potter 4 and Jurassic Park 3 lacked something without him.

Adamwankenobi

Johan said:
Was there EVER any question as to who would do the score? Even if Williams died (God forbid) before hand...they would attach his soundtrack to the movie.

Spielberg and Lucas would pay him not to die beforehand so he could score it. ;)

Echo22

I have often said the exact same thing. He is comparible to the names mentioned above - at least during the past 50 or so years. Even more, the movies that he's certainly helped define during that time will also be the ones mentioned throughout history while most others have been long forgotten. Indy 4 will be on that list.

While on the subject of the score - it is interesting to speculate on some of the potential new themes that will be included in the new movie.
All the Indy movies have a certain formula - as do their scores.
such as...
The Raiders March, obviously.
Then there's the theme for the main villain and/or artifact (the Ark, The Grail, Mola Ram, The Nazi's in Last Crusade, etc.)
Then there's the more emotional or romantic themes (Marion, Willy, Short Round, Henry Sr.)
Then you will always have at least one central suspense or action theme in each film. (The truck chase, the slave children's crusade, the boat chase, the motorcycle chase, the tank scene, etc)

I can't see Spielberg or Lucas encouraging JW to change this formula for the fourth and probably final installment.

My guess is that you'll have a theme for Shia Lebeouf's character and Cate Blanchett (for whichever role she plays - villain or heroine)
The main artifact or quest will get a theme. It's a sure thing.
The villians will have some sort of march or choral piece - maybe something similar to the theme that was cut from Attack of the Clones and put back into Revenge of the Sith. Or even something like the Sunday Night Football theme that Williams created for NBC. (I can't help but think of Indy when I hear it.) A Russian or KGB theme would be a nice addition.
If Marion is in there - you know they'll bring back her theme. Even if only for a minute.
The Raiders March will be used as it was in Temple of Doom and Last Crusade. You may hear alot of it in whatever opening action sequence - it's been almost 20 years, after all.
You'll probably have a more humorous action theme (like the basket chase) for the scene in New Haven that they've been talking about. Maybe with a little late 50's flair.
Then, like the tank scene, you'll probably have a much more serious and suspenseful action theme. Which will lead to the finale.

And again, I pray that there is no reference to Yoda or E.T. in this new score. If it's true that life exists on other planets - Keep it out of the Indy movies!!!

arkfinder

YES!!!!! :gun: :gun: It's always good to get thing comfirmed!!! Since he only does 1 maybe 2 movie a year I'm happy Indy 4 is 1 of 'em!

Papa Jones

He didn't do the Superman Returns Soundtrack (John Ottmann did) ... wonder why... he created the original Superman theme, no?

But it's no big surprise that Johnny agreed to do Indy 4... watch the Bonus Disc on the Indy trilogy in the Music section. He was really looking forward to make it!

Papa Jones said:
He didn't do the Superman Returns Soundtrack (John Ottmann did) ... wonder why... he created the original Superman theme, no?

But it's no big surprise that Johnny agreed to do Indy 4... watch the Bonus Disc on the Indy trilogy in the Music section. He was really looking forward to make it!

He'll often not come back for sequels to some of his original works. For example, he did Superman: The Movie but not Superman II, Superman III, or Superman IV: The Quest for Peace. So, it was natural for him not to come back for the fifth movie. He did the scores for the first two Jurassic Park films but not the third. He did the scores for the first three Harry Potter films (the third being most excellent) but not the latest.

In a lot of ways, there's not a lot of new ground to break like in Star Wars or Indy. Besides, Williams IS Spielberg's composer. They almost always work together.