Spielberg to Comic-Con 2011

Montana Smith

Mungi said:
Today, at Comic-Con as well, is the world premiere of "Cowboys and Aliens". All of us, every Indy fan, should go watch this movie. That's the best way to say "Hey, guys, we love to see Harrison back in action, so give us more!"

That's blackmail! ;)

It might give the message that people want to see Cowboys & Aliens II, and not Indy V. :p

Indy's brother

foreignerfred said:
How much are any of really "enjoying" this limbo?

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this. After 20 years of waiting for KOTCS, I never dreamed we'd wait even THIS long for the release of 5 , or at least concrete, official announcement!

I had hoped they had learned something. That if they wanted him to be, Indy was BACK.

I understand the "enjoyment" angle, anything is possible as long as no one has definitively driven a stake in the heart of Indy 5. Though, depending on your sensibilities, this already happened a few days ago. Personally, the wait for a solid word has been agonizing. Wait through 20 years of false starts to get the uneven KOTCS? What the hell. Bring Indy back to us this way with no solid plan to follow it up with another film? It's kind of cruel, really. If they wanted to put Indy back on the big screen with only one film, that's really putting all your eggs in one basket, don't you think? It's kind of a defeatist "sink or swim" attitude. Am I wrong to read it this way? I hope so.

Anyone else think that it's kind of weird for Spielberg to completely ignore the Indy 5 question?

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Anyone else think that it's kind of weird for Spielberg to completely ignore the Indy 5 question?

Maybe it's a touchy subject? Maybe there's trouble at the mill (a.k.a. Skywalker Ranch). Hence the stock answers and double speak from those potentially involved.

Forbidden Eye

Kathleen Kennedy's comments are depressing but not the end all be all. Keep in mind the only reason she's saying Indiana is done is to promote The Adventures of Tintin(which I personally predict being a disappointment if not a bomb). Once it comes out, Indiana Jones 5 will be in the rumor bin again(still this looks like they're not even trying for a script, so we'll probably have to wait until 2014).

The fact that Spielberg is announcing Jurassic Park 4 is more disappointing(though I'm sure he'll only produce like with III), seeing I see far more potential in Indiana Jones 5 then Jurassic Park 4, as Indiana Jones changes macguffins and locations and offers us something new, where there's only so many times we can see dinosaurs chasing people.

Here is the thing, even with the earliest possible release of Indy 5 in 2013 that is five years after KOTCS which is the same amount of time between the release of TOD and TLC, that should have been plenty of time, doubly so due to Ford's age. I only hope the release of Cowboys and Aliens will somehow renew enthusiasm for Ford in another Indiana Jones movie.

Someone needs to corner Spielberg and get him to promise to abandon new ventures in favour of making another crap Indiana Jones film.

Pale Horse

Staff member
From all the coverage and articles out there, the way I understand it, is that Tintin IS the 'new Indiana Jones' according to Speilberg himself.

But of couse...that'll rile this forum up. Hey, I didn't say it. I'm just honest with reality.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
From all the coverage and articles out there, the way I understand it, is that Tintin IS the 'new Indiana Jones' according to Speilberg himself.

But of couse...that'll rile this forum up. Hey, I didn't say it. I'm just honest with reality.

It's to be expected that someone like the old 'boy investigator' would replace the 'old boy' archaeologist. To all intents and purposes, Mutt is that Tintin character. He's closer to the age of the currently targeted market.

The old guard among us are clinging to a dream, but for reasons of practicality the time for Indy on the big screen has passed. If he has a future there, and a future we would be able to respect, then it would be for a niche market. We should set our sights lower and smaller.

Montana Smith

Pale Horse said:
...or channel our efforts toward a reboot with all new principles involved.

...which is what I would consider setting our sights lower and smaller. It could work well on the small screen, as the past has proven.

The big screen will be a challenge. The hurdle of passing off a more mature Indy as the real deal, in the vein to which we've become accustomed, will be just as difficult as passing off a new actor as a worthy replacement.

Henry W Jones

I am so sick of reboots I could throw up. What happened to originality. Harrison is Indy and a reboot is not the answer. I would rather never see another Indy movie vs a reboot. And Jurrassic Park 4 come on. In my opinion part one was great and the sequels were garbage. Let's just pile up trash. And as for Dr. Jones, I have a bad feeling we won't be seeing Indy again on the big screen. And I hope they don't ruin the character by throwing another actor at it just to make a buck. What happened to creativity? Seems to be becoming a lost art.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Any student of art and literature, (and George Polti) will tell you that there are only 36 stories out there. In essence, everything is a reboot.

No one can deny "Batman Begins/Dark Knight" was a creative retelling of the same story and character. How about the Bond Franchise? Same character, same tired story...as the say in Hollywood:

It's the same story. Boy meets girl, boy and girl fall in love, boy loses girl...yada yada yada....details to follow later

Indy's brother

Wow. What is it with the reboot/recast fascination here? If Spielberg and Ford are out of the picture, (i.e., 2/3rds of the Indy magic) Lucas is the only one left. And on his own he would ruin it completely. Oh, and that pipe-dream of him just handing the franchise off to have someone else wok on it?........Riiiiiight. If that reboot/recast ever happens, it will be after Lucas is dead.

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Wow. What is it with the reboot/recast fascination here? If Spielberg and Ford are out of the picture, (i.e., 2/3rds of the Indy magic) Lucas is the only one left. And on his own he would ruin it completely. Oh, and that pipe-dream of him just handing the franchise off to have someone else wok on it?........Riiiiiight. If that reboot/recast ever happens, it will be after Lucas is dead.

It's purely 'what if?' territory. Like that Marvel 'What if...?' comic series. (Or Rocket's Does anyone think Indy considered becoming a Nazi...

As I see it a movie reboot is as unlikely at the moment as Indy 5. A TV series has more chance of seeing daylight.

Regardless, we can still speculate and day dream. ;)