Decent Hat?

Deckard

A decent hat? no.

Is it like Indiana Jone's hat? Well its brown.

You want a decent Hat, your going to have to spend at least $150 to get an Akubra. AB offers hats for around $300 that you'd pick up from other hat stores for closer to $500 not to mention its actually made by the guy who did them for the new film.

Falco09

Yeah the officially licensed hats are no good. Which makes you wonder why they're officially licensed when they aren't the official Indy crown height, shape (way too much taper), bash (teardrop crown, no center dent), or ribbon color. Oh wait, now I remember why, George Lucas loves to make money off of merchandise, and the hat has an official Indiana Jones pin.

eazybox

That's not good, Deckard, I hope it works out for you. To be serious, the pins never bothered me that much, but I think that was because I already had a Herbert Johnson (the original maker of the film hats) and I just thought of the licensed hats as collector's items.

Jack

loganbush

I have that one and I love it. It looks Indy. I got mine for $40 bucks. I'm not really the person who wants to whine about brim size and accuracy. It looks much better in person.

Deckard

eazybox said:
That's not good, Deckard, I hope it works out for you. To be serious, the pins never bothered me that much, but I think that was because I already had a Herbert Johnson (the original maker of the film hats) and I just thought of the licensed hats as collector's items.

Jack

Exactly, I ordered an AB and got the Better version of whats posted here for like $80, as a collector's sort of item. Of course since I got, Ive crumpled it, wet it, tightened the pinch, and covered it in sand and baby powder. It looks passable, but would I wear it? No.

eazybox

I have a licensed fur felt Stetson I bought in 1984 that, while not completely accurate, is one of the toughest hats I have ever worn. Despite heavy usage over the years, it still retains its original shape and color. If you can find one of these old Stetsons on eBay, you will have a very high quality officially licensed hat. Sometimes you can get these hats at bargain prices on eBay. And Deckard, the pins on these older hats slide right off!

I don't think the modern Stetsons are of the same quality-- from what I've heard, they will shrink and discolor very easily, and of course they no longer carry the Indy license.

The better DP's are not bad hats, but they are not well liked by some because of the accuracy issue. But to respond to the original question in this thread, $40 is a good price for a wool felt hat which is a licensed Indy collectible, IMO.

Jack

Perhilion

loganbush said:
I have that one and I love it. It looks Indy. I got mine for $40 bucks. I'm not really the person who wants to whine about brim size and accuracy. It looks much better in person.
I'm the same way. I just want one like you described, so thanks(y)

Mr. Fusion

If accuracy isn't a problem, then $40 is a really good price for an Indy hat. I have an Akubra Federation regular, and am about 87% happy with it. The color is the biggest issue for me. It's too gray. It's my fault for not spending an extra $50 to get a Federation Deluxe. Also, in bashing the hat, I made the pinch off center... didn't notice until AFTER the hat was shaped.:mad: I also put Fuller's Earth on it, making it look like a dusty gray rather than a dirty brown.:eek:

Katarn07

Mr. Fusion said:
The color is the biggest issue for me. It's too gray.

What color did you get? Tawny Fawn? I got med brown and it's too dark. I still love it. That's now my only gripe after finally getting the brim the way I wanted it.