God would have given us wings.

The_Raiders

I've only flown afew time, it doesn't bug me too much, if I'm not flying for hours at a time I rather enjoy it :)

I don't really mind planes, they're not my ideal form of transport, once I was flying out of Thailand and the airport had two typhoons and a hurricane hovering about it, apparantly, and we still took off, even though there was something wrong with the plane. THink it was only the air con though.

No, I always try to get where I can by train, especially when I travel, I have this hobby of flying somewhere, say Southern Spain, or Rome say, and then trying to make my way home overland, its far more stressful, and adventure filled then seeing model earth drift by the oval windows. That, and you really get a sense of how big this large lump of rock earth and water really is.

ReggieSnake

I'm not afraid of flying for sure, in fact, I love it. When I was little I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Who knows? Might still be someday; I want to learn to fly at some point, anyway.

Am I afraid of crashing? Well, if you think about it- it's a pretty easy way to go as long as your ready to go and have the sanity of mind to pray for the rest of the passengers on the way down. (and not scream like a little girl...no offense ladies.;)) Afraid, no. If it happened-scared, very scared.

Deckard said:
Im a helicopter pilot and love it.
Military or domestic?:hat:

WillKill4Food

No Ticket said:
Well there is less stuff to run into up there.
What about seagulls? ;)
Just kidding, though.
My dad is a retired pilot and he constantly tells me that flying is safer than driving.
But I still hate it.
The takeoff and landing kills my ears.

Deckard

ReggieSnake said:
I'm not afraid of flying for sure, in fact, I love it. When I was little I wanted to be a fighter pilot. Who knows? Might still be someday; I want to learn to fly at some point, anyway.

Am I afraid of crashing? Well, if you think about it- it's a pretty easy way to go as long as your ready to go and have the sanity of mind to pray for the rest of the passengers on the way down. (and not scream like a little girl...no offense ladies.;)) Afraid, no. If it happened-scared, very scared.

Military or domestic?:hat:

General Aviation, not military. Eventually I will go back to school for Archaeology, and when I do, I'll be able to do flight instruction part time to pay my way.

DanRO

In my case, I am a bit addicted to it :p
Especially the take off and whenever there is that up and down movement. During flight, it´s also great to look outside the window and enjoy the view.

What I don´t like is the pressure in my ears during the ascension and descension moments. It is also very tedious when I can´t see anything outside because it is dark or the plane is flying inside a cloud.

Deckard

DanRO said:
In my case, I am a bit addicted to it :p
Especially the take off and whenever there is that up and down movement. During flight, it´s also great to look outside the window and enjoy the view.

What I don´t like is the pressure in my ears during the ascension and descension moments. It is also very tedious when I can´t see anything outside because it is dark or the plane is flying inside a cloud.

You dont get that pressure in general aviation for the most part bcuz we don't deal w/ pressurized cabins. We generaly aren't at the height where you require supplemental O2.

In fact we usually take the side doors off the Helicopter when its hot. And by door, I mean the entire sides of the helicopter. Its so cool when you enter a steep left bank, look left, and realise your looking straight down at the ground from 3000 ft w/ nothing between you and it except a seatbelt.

Also it may make some of you feel better to know, pilot's spend around %50 if not more of our flight time during training, practicing emergency procedures.

I cut the engine and land w/ stored rotor power several times a day, so if it happened for real, it'd be second nature.

ReggieSnake

Deckard said:
You dont get that pressure in general aviation for the most part bcuz we don't deal w/ pressurized cabins. We generaly aren't at the height where you require supplemental O2.

In fact we usually take the side doors off the Helicopter when its hot. And by door, I mean the entire sides of the helicopter. Its so cool when you enter a steep left bank, look left, and realise your looking straight down at the ground from 3000 ft w/ nothing between you and it except a seatbelt.

Also it may make some of you feel better to know, pilot's spend around %50 if not more of our flight time during training, practicing emergency procedures.

I cut the engine and land w/ stored rotor power several times a day, so if it happened for real, it'd be second nature.
That sounds incredibly neat.:cool:

Just wondering, how do you go from aviation to archeology? Do you have an ultimate goal in the field?

The_Raiders

This thread reminded me of something. My mom and I were going on trip, and the night before we had to go to the air-port she dicided to watch the movie "Alive", (which has a plane crash abviously), and our weather at the time wasn't too oo so this movie didn't really help.

UltimateManGod

I have absolutely no problems with flying. The popping ears and small amount of leg room for me are just annoying. My family flew more when I was younger than we do now. Plus it's much faster than driving for the longer distances. I either try to read, sleep or listen to music when I fly. I actually flew alone for the first time this past December. The only problem was my return flight being canceled because of heavy fog, then coming home on Christmas Eve in the last seat in the plane. Other than that, it was easy.

Deckard

ReggieSnake said:
That sounds incredibly neat.:cool:

Just wondering, how do you go from aviation to archeology? Do you have an ultimate goal in the field?

I want to do field archaeology but haven't decided what in particular I like yet. Im interested in everything from fossils to underwater archaeology. I will do alot of scuba this summer and see how it goes. I may also want to teach eventually but not for a while. The being a pilot thing makes it easier for me to travel or get in and out of places alot of airlines don't go. It's also nice to have it to fall back on in case things are slow.

WillKill4Food

The_Raiders said:
This thread reminded me of something. My mom and I were going on trip, and the night before we had to go to the air-port she dicided to watch the movie "Alive", (which has a plane crash abviously), and our weather at the time wasn't too oo so this movie didn't really help.
You think the movies bad, you should read the book. :sick:

The_Raiders

WillKill4Food said:
You think the movies bad, you should read the book. :sick:

Yeah, my mom has read the book, she said it has alot more details... yeah. i might consider reading the book, but I might not ;)

whipem

I'm actually terrified of heights (although I do occasionally enjoy the rush I get from leaning slightly over a ledge in a tall building, for some masochistic reason), but the only problem I have with flying is taking off. But even that's rare. I have relatives in Florida and the Midwest, so I became used to flying when I was younger.

The_Raiders

This summer I'm proabably going to Texas to visit some family and afew old friends. It'll be the first time I've ever flown by myself, something to look foward to I guess ;)

Deckard

whipem said:
I'm actually terrified of heights (although I do occasionally enjoy the rush I get from leaning slightly over a ledge in a tall building, for some masochistic reason), but the only problem I have with flying is taking off. But even that's rare. I have relatives in Florida and the Midwest, so I became used to flying when I was younger.

Well your pretty smart, because at least w/ helicopters that is the most dangerous time, take off, not really dangerous, just no room for a mistake. Once your in flight the only way your going to be in real trouble is a mid air collision or if you lost an entire rotor blade. Rare.

Canyon

For me, the minute I get to the airport, I am on holiday. I have no problems with flying, and did not fly until 2001 (I was my late 20's) and I loved it.

I have now flown 20 times (yes, I've counted) :rolleyes: and I really enjoy it.

As Indyologist said, sometimes I look out of the window and I realise that the Gods have created a truly beautiful world which is quite moving.

Do I ever worry about crashing. To be honest, I rarely think about it, although I do get a little bit restless when there is turbulence. Luckily, I don't have too many problems with my ears, either.

The last flight that I took to Rochester, NY was great because I flew with British Airways. I was in row A on the left facing outwards, and had my own seat with about 5 feet of legroom in front, freebies such as blankets, pillows, eyemask, socks etc AND free alcohol (something I've never experienced before) :D Also, you got your own personal screens and got to choose your own movies and chose when you wanted to watch them, which was great! (y)

bonoferox

Only when I was halfway over the Pacific between LAX and Shanghai Pudong....Images of LOST and Castaway lingered in my mind.

Hedwig

I have never been on a plane, or in a foreign country. I don't even own a passport. But I always dream about the countries I want to visit when I'm an adult... For example, I want to visit France (especially Paris) and United Kingdom. They aren't too exotic countries for me, but they are fascinating enough...:)