Lost City of Z

San Holo

I don't know how many of you have heard of David Grann, but he has written about everything from New York City's antiquated water tunnels, to the Aryan Brotherhood prison gang, to the search for the giant squid- I like his stuff alot.Grann's forthcoming nonfiction book concerns British explorer Col. Percy Harrison Fawcett, who was attempting to find the so-called City of Z when he and his party disappeared in 1925. Over the next 70 years, scores of explorers tried and failed to retrace Fawcett's path, including a 1996 expedition of Brazilian adventurers. It looks like this one might become a movie with Brad Pitt producing and starring as Fawcett.

Stoo

This is a film I would definitely like to see! A few months ago, I caught
the "Digging for the Truth" show where J.Bernstein was searching for Z.

I had never heard of the story until reading "Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils"
when it first came out. Have you ever read it? Indy has Fawcett's diary and follows
the trail...

Also, the unproduced Young Indy episode, "Brazil, December 1921", was to have
Indy and Belloq searching for Z and meeting Fawcett.

Anyway, Grann's stuff sounds interesting, especially the giant squid book.
(One was photographed last year.)

Thanks for the news, San Holo!

San Holo

Stoo said:
This is a film I would definitely like to see! A few months ago, I caught
the "Digging for the Truth" show where J.Bernstein was searching for Z.

I had never heard of the story until reading "Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils"
when it first came out. Have you ever read it? Indy has Fawcett's diary and follows
the trail...

Also, the unproduced Young Indy episode, "Brazil, December 1921", was to have
Indy and Belloq searching for Z and meeting Fawcett.

Anyway, Grann's stuff sounds interesting, especially the giant squid book.
(One was photographed last year.)

Thanks for the news, San Holo!

Well, I ran across Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils this past weekend at Half Price Books- picked it up and thought it was pretty darn entertaining- I'll have to check out that YI episode where Indy meets Fawcett.

Stoo

San Holo said:
Well, I ran across Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils this past weekend at Half Price Books- picked it up and thought it was pretty darn entertaining
You enjoyed it? I thought the middle of the story got really bogged down and found it extremely dull and tedious (until the end).
As a 1st time Indy novel, I suppose it could satisfy. Was that the case, San? Anyway, MacGregor obviously did his homework
on Fawcett & the legend of Z so this is a BIG plus. +++
I'll have to check out that YI episode where Indy meets Fawcett.
Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.:eek: :( :mad: Damned shame this story was never realised...
Some extra details on this unproduced tale were recently posted to the Star Wars website (found by Adamwankenobi & Avilos).
-----------
(written by Pablo Hidalgo)
Episode #50 "Brazil, December 1921"
Indy's Age: 22
Subject: Anthropology
Character: Charles Fawcett
Theme: None Listed
Synopsis: Indy and Belloq go on an adventure with Charles Fawcett to find a lost city in the jungle of the Mato Grosso region of Brazil.
The trek starts in Bahia, and they come across a group of American confederates living on a plantation there, witness rituals of the
Candbomble religion, and encounter fierce Indians in the interior. Indy and Belloq are captured, and they separate in their escape attempt.
Indy has an adventure that relates to the lost city.

Note: Though this episode was never produced, Indy did have adventure involving a lost city discovered by Charles Fawcett in the novel,
Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils.

San Holo

Stoo said:
You enjoyed it? I thought the middle of the story got really bogged down and found it extremely dull and tedious (until the end).
As a 1st time Indy novel, I suppose it could satisfy. Was that the case, San? Anyway, MacGregor obviously did his homework
on Fawcett & the legend of Z so this is a BIG plus. +++
Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.:eek: :( :mad: Damned shame this story was never realised...
Yeah, it was my first Indy novel:) I picked it up with the Genesis Deluge which I also read and I thought both were quick, fun books-but I do agree that they were a little drab for Indy adventures... I thought Genesis Deluge was the better of the two. That blows about the Young Indy episode, it sounded awesome (n) I wonder if Lucas will resurrect the YI series if KOTCS does as well as planned? I would love to see it, or at least read the script.

Goonie

Sounds like the central part of Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils is getting a big screen treatment:

From http://www.mania.com/brad-pitt-james-gray-search-for-lost-city-z_article_111685.html
Brad Pitt and James Gray Search for LOST CITY OF Z
By: Jarrod Sarafin
Date: Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Source: Variety

Director James Gray (We Own the Night) and Brad Pitt will soon find themselves lost in the Amazon for Paramount Pictures, reports Variety. The studio has tasked Gray with directing an adaptation of David Grann's upcoming book The Lost City of Z with Pitt leading the cast as British soldier and spy Percy Fawcett. The nonfiction novel by New Yorker writer Grann will be published in April by Doubleday. Pitt will produce the film through his Paramount-based Plan B.

"This is a terrific opportunity to do something entirely different for me," Gray said. "It is a story that will be told with an epic scale, with a main character who is larger than life."

Plot Concept: Fawcett left Victorian society to explore in the Amazon, and he became obsessed by the idea of an advanced civilization he called Z, which he believed existed in the depths of the jungle. Along with his son, Fawcett headed into the jungle in 1925 in search of Z and was never seen again.

This could be interesting.

TheMutt92

Plot Concept: Fawcett left Victorian society to explore in the Amazon, and he became obsessed by the idea of an advanced civilization he called Z, which he believed existed in the depths of the jungle. Along with his SON, Fawcett headed into the jungle in 1925 in search of Z and was never seen again.

That in particular sounds like an early concept for KOTCS.

Goonie

TheMutt92 said:
That in particular sounds like an early concept for KOTCS.

TheMutt92, I guess you didn't read Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils. The book's prologue starts with an excerpt from the journal of Colonel Percy Fawcett. The lost city of Z is central to the whole novel; of course, Indy finds it.(y)

TheMutt92

Goonie said:
TheMutt92, I guess you didn't read Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils. The book's prologue starts with an excerpt from the journal of Colonel Percy Fawcett. The lost city of Z is central to the whole novel; of course, Indy finds it.(y)

You got me there! But w/ the release of Army of Darkness next year, I may be more inclined to start reading them.

I know this is a bit off subject, but can anyone real quickly just post a link where I can find the order of these books and how they fit within the context of the films themselves?

And btw, why Z? Just a random letter, or does it stand for something else?

Indy's brother

The Lost City of Z

Brad Pitt is set to star in and produce the film. Here are the sparse but interesting details

Pitt has been signed on to star since 2008, and the project is finally due to go into production with Inferno Entertainment handling sales.

Described as being styled in the vein of Lawrence Of Arabia, Lost City is an adaptation of David Grann's bestseller of the same name, and follows early 20th century British soldier-***-explorer Percy Fawcett's quest to find a lost Amazonian city.

Screen is reporting that thanks to buyer interest, the film could now be fast-tracked and begin shooting once Pitt completes baseball drama Moneyball.

Pitt is also expected to produce the film through his company, Plan B Entertainment.

Spurlock

The Lost City of Z

This seems to be the perfect Indiana-Jonestesque film, in part because the story influenced the movies themselves.

The Lost City of Z was originally a true story of an explorer hell bent on returning to a lost city after finding it previously but was unable to convince people. Now a film is going to come out based on it with Benedict Cumberbatch playing the lead role.

An interesting, exciting movie to look forward to, wouldn't you say?

Sea Monarch

Sounds interesting indeed! In another thread James Byrne mentioned it being based on a book. And Stoo mentioned it will also star Brad Pitt as Fawcett. Could be a great break from the usual movies!(y) :gun:

Spurlock

Yeah, the book has the same name if you want to read it. I read the first half a while ago. Its a true story of the author who tried to follow Fawcett's step. I'm not sure if they'll include the author's role or not though.

Brad Pitt left the project sadly but Benedict is replacing him, so it's not too bad.

Stoo

Spurlock said:
Brad Pitt left the project sadly but Benedict is replacing him, so it's not too bad.
While Brad Pitt is a quality actor, this replacement is a much better choice because:

1) Benedict Cumberbatch looks more like Percy Fawcett than Pitt does.
2) Benedict Cumberbatch is British like Percy Fawcett was, whereas Pitt is not.

Thanks for the news, Spurlock, because I was wondering if this movie was ever going to get made. I cannot wait!(y)

(And thank you, Attila, for merging the thread.:))