LMAO! Bush gets the shoe in Baghdad!

Gear

<script src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/js/2.0/video/evp/module.js?loc=int&vid=/video/world/2008/12/14/ware.lok.president.shoe.cnn" type="text/javascript"></script><noscript>Embedded video from <a href="http://www.cnn.com/video">CNN Video</a></noscript>

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/12/14/bush.iraq/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

CNN said:
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A man identified as an Iraqi journalist threw shoes at -- but missed -- President Bush during a news conference Sunday evening in Baghdad, where Bush was making a farewell visit.

Bush ducked, and the shoes, flung one at a time, sailed past his head during the news conference with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in his palace in the heavily fortified Green Zone.

The shoe-thrower -- identified as Muntadhar al-Zaidi, an Iraqi journalist with Egypt-based al-Baghdadia television network -- could be heard yelling in Arabic: "This is a farewell ... you dog!"

While pinned on the ground by security personnel, he screamed: "You killed the Iraqis!"

Al-Zaidi was dragged away. While al-Zaidi was still screaming in another room, Bush said: "That was a size 10 shoe he threw at me, you may want to know."

CNN said:
Hurling shoes at someone, or sitting so that the bottom of a shoe faces another person, is considered an insult among Muslims.

kkmmmmph HM-HM-HM-HM-HM!!

Indy's brother

I've been done laughing at bush for a couple of years now. I don't want to laugh at him anymore, it's too easy, and he's more embarassing than he is funny. I just want him to be gone already.

Deckard

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5D5oKEVqQJg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5D5oKEVqQJg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

The Magic Rat

Goonie

Here's a much better video than the ones posted: (y)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGBM1q_oCZY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGBM1q_oCZY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Forbidden Eye

Indy's brother said:
I've been done laughing at bush for a couple of years now. I don't want to laugh at him anymore, it's too easy, and he's more embarassing than he is funny. I just want him to be gone already.

This isn't suppose to be a joke on Bush, its suppose to be a joke on radical Islamics who look far more stupid in this incident.

Indy's brother

This isn't suppose to be a joke on Bush, its suppose to be a joke on radical Islamics who look far more stupid in this incident.

Well, your right when you first statement that this isn't supposed to be a joke. There's nothing funny about the way we are viewed in Iraq, or that my country's military actions in the middle east have cost the lives of civilians.

But given that the first four letters in the title of this thread were LMAO, I took it as "pie in the face" humor, albeit a shoe to the face. It could also be looked at as ironic hilarity that bush was there to do a victory lap in front of the press, and while patting himself on the ass a reporter attacked him. Or you could look at the irony of this being the first appearance he has made outside of a U.S. military installation in Iraq, perhaps as a way to prove to the press that Iraq is a safe place now, and this is what happens. Or maybe to prove to the press that even if we weren't greeted as liberators, at least he can feel like one in public in Iraq without scorn or criticism. Whoops, there goes a shoe.

Also, I didn't take away from this story that Islam, much less radical Islam had anything to do with it. There were no religious connotations to Muntadar al-Zeidi's words, "This is a farewell kiss, you dog. This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq." This man is a journalist, not a terrorist, radical, or "insurgent". I really don't see the connection between this and radical Islam. This incident could be a case of, or make a case for reactionary Islam, however. Though there is no evidence of this, either. At any rate, I'm weary of Mr. bush, the war in Iraq, and everything that these two subjects bring.

An actual pie would have been truly chuckle-worthy, though. This event is just the depressing reality of where we are in Iraq.

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Being able to express yourself is a very important right we westerners tend to take for granted.

Sure, not many of us would do such a thing ourselves in the way seen on the vid, but nevertheless. And I neither see any indication towards "radical Islam" in this guy's actions. I bet a lot of usual Iraqis are frustrated with the Americans too, and the fact that this guy threw a shoe, not a hand grenade or something like that tells us very clearly his intention was never to harm Bush, simply humiliate him. He was expressing an opinion.

Calling this guy a "radical Islamist" is a joke in itself. If he is one, what should we call e.g. the fellows who yelled "Kill him!" (meaning then-candidate now-President-elect Barack Obama) during a McCain rally couple of months ago? Radical rednecks? One can't confine this kind of behavior into one cultural or ethnic group.

And I really liked Bush's response, in seeing this thing in positive light. It is a huge improvement to be able to express your true opinions toward authoritative figures. Try finding an Iraqi who would have liked to throw a shoe at Saddam and actually be daring enough to turn the act into reality.

The Man

I was most surprised by George's cat-like reflexes; that first shoe was travelling very fast indeed...

HovitosKing

What's amazing to me is that this guy got two shoes thrown at W before the secret service got anywhere near Bush or the journalist. So much for diving in front of a bullet, you're not even quick enough to dive in front of the second shoe!

Gear

Finn said:
I bet a lot of usual Iraqis are frustrated with the Americans too

If you mean frustration towards the American military, well then a lot of usual Yankees are frustrated too.

Finn said:
And I really liked Bush's response, in seeing this thing in positive light. It is a huge improvement to be able to express your true opinions toward authoritative figures.

At least you're not one of those dweebs who jumps on the Bush hate band wagon simply 'cause it's popular.

HovitosKing said:
What's amazing to me is that this guy got two shoes thrown at W before the secret service got anywhere near Bush or the journalist. So much for diving in front of a bullet, you're not even quick enough to dive in front of the second shoe!

LOL I hear a job opening up.

The Man

444_1.jpg

"Is he tying them...or untying them?"

Joe Brody

Gotta agree with the lousy reaction time by Secret Service. If I'm Obama, I'm sleeping too good tonight. . . .

. . . .but then again, for what it's worth, I bet everyone in that room was searched going in.

As for the shoes? What a fitting end to a sad era in American History.

Finn

Staff member
gear guardian said:
If you mean frustration towards the American military, well then a lot of usual Yankees are frustrated too.
A standard Iraqi should have no reason to hate the American everyman. At least I hope so.

gear guardian said:
At least you're not one of those dweebs who jumps on the Bush hate band wagon simply 'cause it's popular.
I've always thought that a man should be hated for what he does, not what he is.

And as for Secret Service's reaction, I bet they knew about the immense reflexes of Walker the Texas Ranger demonstrated on the video and simply didn't bother. I bet all the guys in the detail voted him for re-election simply to get rather easy four years on the job, as the man seems wholly capable of dodging a bullet all by himself.

Dr. Wolfwood

Finn said:
And as for Secret Service's reaction, I bet they knew about the immense reflexes of Walker the Texas Ranger demonstrated on the video and simply didn't bother. I bet all the guys in the detail voted him for re-election simply to get rather easy four years on the job, as the man seems wholly capable of dodging a bullet all by himself.
ROTFLMAO! :D

Yes, I was also rather surprised by his reflexes... Must have had a lot of practice... :whip:

The Man

Does this mean that all subsequent Presidential press-conferences must be attended barefoot..?