Can we get Indy around the globe ?

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Can't take credit for the Poo Pond pics, one of my buddys took one for the team there. I was planning on taking him down there, but definitely not looking forward to that chore. Thankfully he took the initiative. Also, the wind was in his favor :p

That link was nasty!

?Wow, who has to live next to that?? I said to two American service members as we drove near the pond in their S.U.V.

?We do,? they said in unison.

?Do you get used to it after awhile?? I continued naïvely. ?Do you get used to the smell??

?Never,? said the man, who was driving. ?Not for a second.?

There ought to be a special campaign medal just for serving alongside the Poo Pond. :sick:

Billy Ray said:
I will post the ammo dump pic but, unfortunately, it is pretty blurry. I wasn't willing to take an ass-whupping by a couple of U.S. Marines just for a photo op;)

Indy might have been thrown in, too, never to be seen again... :dead:

Lance Quazar

Another INCREDIBLE batch!!!

The pictures are superb! Thanks to you and your friends for taking 'em!

The "pond" (I read the link) is truly disturbing.

The Sallah comment was hilarious.

LOVING your contribution!!!

Billy Ray

finance.jpg

Now that I have some cash, I think I will check out the bazarre

DSC005812.JPG

DSC005493.JPG

DSC00550.JPG

DSC00551.JPG

DSC00552.JPG

DSC005541.JPG

DSC005552.JPG

DSC005572.JPG

DSC005593.JPG

DSC005603.JPG

I couldn't really come up with any witty captions for this series of pics, so I thought I would just let them speak for themselves.

A couple of funny stories though:

A little kid tried to trade me some shell bracelets for Indy. I was half tempted, there is no beach anywhere near here, so shells must be worth a lot. ;)

Also, one of the vendors saw me snapping a pic with Indy and got all excited. He kept saying "What is that, what is that?" I showed him and he thought it was the funniest thing he ever saw...he kept saying, over and over again "It was a little man!" to the other guys at his stall.

Stoo

inky_skin said:
Should I be asking what your life-changing experience in Egypt was ???
Would be happy to answer but not in this thread!;) Trip to Cairo

@Billy Ray: Very cool! Photo #6 is my fave of the latest lot. The top pic looks like a WW2 artillery piece. Was that captured from the Taliban?:confused:

I also checked out the link to the Pond and can't believe it's smack in the middle of the base! Your stories about the little kid and the vendor in the bazaar are priceless. Just goes to show how much we take things for granted. Thanks for sharing.:hat:

Montana Smith

Fantastic photos, Billy!

Stoo said:
The top pic looks like a WW2 artillery piece. Was that captured from the Taliban?:confused:

It's probably current British armament! It's what we're leaving behind after our troops pull out, as our new government has checked the accounts and certified us to be as poor as church mice.

The bazaar didn't look as expected - it looks a bit like some of our markets. And, yes the story of the boy desperately wanting Indy does put things into perspective.

Billy Ray

Not sure on the origin of the artillery piece. It could actually be Soviet, there is a lot of junk that they left around here.

Billy Ray

Actually, upon further review, it looks more like the ZIS-2 M1945:

ZIS2_005.jpg

Here's a clear shot of the one here:

DSC005765.JPG

Last edited:

Billy Ray

Ok, well I was wrong. I am 99.99% sure that it is actually a 76.2 mm Divisional Gun ZIS-3 M1942:

ZIS-3_01.jpg

Now that that's out of the way, I will try to post some more Indy pics.

Billy Ray

Today, Indy gets a very special treat...a tour of an AC-130 Gunship!

DSC002221.JPG

Davis_002.jpg

This thing packs a lot of heat! Behind me you can see the L60 40mm Bofors cannon and the M102 105mm howitzer

Davis_001.jpg

Up close and personal with the 105...

Davis_003.jpg

...and the 25mm GAU-12 Gatling Gun...Yeeeee Ha!

Davis_006.jpg

The 105 mm rounds

davis_007.jpg

Montana Smith

Nice pics.

Indiana Jones and the Angel of Death!

Can't help but think of Indy hanging on the tank gun in TLC with this one:

Billy Ray said:
Davis_001.jpg

Up close and personal with the 105...

We occasionally get Hercules flying low over us, but I don't think they're packing like yours!

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Indiana Jones and the Angel of Death...I love it!

It leapt out at me as soon as I brought up the wiki page on the AC-130!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AC-130

I live in Herefordshire, within 20 miles of the ex-RAF base of Credenhill, which is now home to the 22 Special Air Service Regiment, so I always wonder what the significance of the Hercules flights are.

RAF jets screaming low overhead in pairs are a much more common sight, though. Local folklore always had it that they used our village post office as a target for low-level runs! :eek:

Before the 65th D-Day celebrations we were treated to hours of aerial rehearsals by AWACS and refueling aircraft! :D

But I digress... :)

Billy Ray

Today's installment of Indy in Afghanistan is somewhat of a catch all of various photos that didn't really fit in anywhere else, taken here and there around the base:

DSC005683.JPG

Indy trying to catch a glimpse inside the USMC ammo compound, seconds before being chased off by two angry Marines. You can sort of make out the guard tower with USMC flag

DSC005732.JPG

Indy in front of the Netherlands Armed Forces compound

DSC005726.JPG

Indy in front of one of the British Armed Forces compounds

DSC005693.JPG

Indy in front of the Texas Armed Forces compound. Just kidding, it's one of the contracter's compounds ;)

DSC005911.JPG

Indy in front of Hangar 51...err, I mean some big hangar

DSC006061.JPG

Indy at the pond (the real pond, not the Poo Pond). It's pretty neat, all the various nations have little floats out there. Kind of hard to make out but the French have a miniature Eiffel Tower, and the British have a Loch Ness Monster, somebody has a battleship, and there is also a Texas flag out there too (y)

DSC006211.JPG

Indy at the Kandahar International Airport

DSC00622.JPG

And a better shot of the airport. You can just make out the mosque in the distance, on the right hand side. Indy will be visiting there tomorrow

No sign of Indy yet...no doubt he's going to make some unorthodox entrance.

Great shots Billy Ray, it's been really Indy-like to see him in some Military company early on in an adventure.

Did you get yourself in a picture?

Billy Ray

Unfortunatelly I didn't get any pics with me in them, we had planned to take some pics with all of us, but just ran out of time. Things were a little hairy at the time I mailed him back and I had an opportunity to get Indy to the post office, so I took it. I definitely didn't want to delay his trip any longer.

I've probably got enough pics for a couple more sets...I had more than I thought I did.

Stoo

Billy Ray said:
Not sure on the origin of the artillery piece. It could actually be Soviet, there is a lot of junk that they left around here.
Ok, well I was wrong. I am 99.99% sure that it is actually a 76.2 mm Divisional Gun ZIS-3 M1942:
Thanks a lot for getting the bottom of the identity for the ordanance piece. You went above & beyond the call of duty, there!;) I suspect the 2 busted up armoured vehicles ("this one has seen better days...") are leftover Russian junk, too?
Billy Ray said:
This thing packs a lot of heat! Behind me you can see the L60 40mm Bofors cannon and the M102 105mm howitzer
...and the 25mm GAU-12 Gatling Gun...Yeeeee Ha!
This was obviously the special surprise you mentioned a few pages back. Love the Indy-riding-the-Gatling photo! Reminds me of Dr. Strangelove. I'm semi-familiar with the C-130 through military flight simulator experience but not the AC. "Packs a lot of heat!" No kidding...WICKED photos, Billy Ray & Co.(y)
Montana Smith said:
We occasionally get Hercules flying low over us, but I don't think they're packing like yours!
In the world of flying machines, the Hercules is a REAL PIG! Who would ever thought of having an air-mounted Howitzer!:eek:

Billy Ray

I'm assuming those are Soviet armored cars as well, will have to do some research on them.

LOL, I also thought of Dr. Strangelove when I first saw that pic of Indy on the mini-gun!