The Western Movie Thread

PhantomStranger

"The Man From Laramie"
-James Stewart

A stranger out to avenge his brothers murder finds agang selling rifles to the Apaches,

Phantoms Review: Along with "Winchester'73", this is my favorite James Stewart western. Great action. story and acting. A classic.

Montana Smith

I just watched Lonesdome Dove and Return to Lonesome Dove (a combined 11 hours of wonderful western movie). The first one was directed by Simon Wincer of Young Indy and Light Horseman fame. The level of detail, the real locations and the immense scale of these mini-series make most westerns pale into insignificance.

I have the other two sequels still to watch.

The only downside is that Jon Voigt wasn't as convincing as Tommy Lee Jones as Woodrow Call.

TheMutt92

The western is perhaps my most favorite film genre. I'm sure if its because of my upbringing or just the general appeal, but most of my favorite films are westerns or have western elements.

Rio Bravo
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
For A Few Dollars More
The Magnificent Seven
Once Upon A Time in the West
True Grit (2010)
3:10 to Yuma (2007)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
El Dorado
The Searchers
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Dr.Sartorius

True Grit
The Shootist
Dances with Wolves
The Good The Bad and the Ugly
A Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Unforgiven

WilliamBoyd8

"Lust for Gold", a 1949 film with Glenn Ford and Ida Lupino.

This film is on DVD and video, and is one of my favorite Westerns.
It was made just after "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" came out.

This film is an account of Arizona's "Lost Dutchman" gold mine
in the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix.

Part of the film is set in 1949 when a man researching the mine
talks to some people at the Pioneers Home about events when they
were children.

One lady tells the story of the mine and the people involved,
back in the 1870's, that is the story with Glenn Ford and Ida Lupino.

Then, back in 1949, someone is killing people looking for the mine,
leading to a modern-day showdown.

And, yes, there is a rattlesnake.

Barry Storm, the author of the book "Thunder Gods' Gold",
the basis for the film, sued the producers because
1. He didn't like the film.
2. The producers were "Communists".

:)

Check out my website at:
http://www.brianrxm.com
Roman Coins, Mexican Coins, Favorite Coins, Movie Coins

The Drifter

I bought some newer ones that I haven't seen.

-3:10 to Yuma
-Appaloosa
-There Will Be Blood
-The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford
-The Alamo

TheMutt92

For my screenwriting class next semester, we have to develop an outline for our own feature length script. And since the western is my favorite genre, and I've probably seen more films like that than any other, I think that's what I'm gonna go with. I'm planning a western movie marathon to go along with it. My goal is to watch about two movies a day, both old favorites as well as films I've never seen before (during that time Cowboys and Aliens will have been released). I've already searched the thread for suggestions, but any additional recommendations would be appreciated.

Stoo

The Drifter said:
The Alamo
Which "Alamo" version, Drifter?:confused:
TheMutt92 said:
I've already searched the thread for suggestions, but any additional recommendations would be appreciated.
Watch, "The Ox-Bow Incident" (1943). Not high on action but an EXCELLENT film. Trust me, Mutt92, you will not regret it.;)

As has been mentioned before by myself & Attila, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962). Superb.:whip:

Others:
"Stagecoach" (1939)
"They Died With Their Boots On" (1941)
"Winchester '73" (1950)
"Once Upon a Time in the West" (1968)
"Little Big Man" (1970)***** One of my favourite films of all time.
"McCabe & Mrs. Miller" (1971)

P.S. Anything with Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) wouldn't hurt either...

shazamtd

TheMutt92 said:
For my screenwriting class next semester, we have to develop an outline for our own feature length script. And since the western is my favorite genre, and I've probably seen more films like that than any other, I think that's what I'm gonna go with. I'm planning a western movie marathon to go along with it. My goal is to watch about two movies a day, both old favorites as well as films I've never seen before (during that time Cowboys and Aliens will have been released). I've already searched the thread for suggestions, but any additional recommendations would be appreciated.
I recommend Sam Peckinpah's masterpiece "The Wild Bunch." It's one of my favorites.

TheMutt92

Stoo said:
Which "Alamo" version, Drifter?:confused:
Watch, "The Ox-Bow Incident" (1943). Not high on action but an EXCELLENT film. Trust me, Mutt92, you will not regret it.;)

As has been mentioned before by myself & Attila, "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962). Superb.:whip:

Others:
"Stagecoach" (1939)
"They Died With Their Boots On" (1941)
"Winchester '73" (1950)
"Once Upon a Time in the West" (1968)
"Little Big Man" (1970)***** One of my favourite films of all time.
"McCabe & Mrs. Miller" (1971)

P.S. Anything with Hopalong Cassidy (William Boyd) wouldn't hurt either...

I'll definitely take these into consideration (so many to see!) I was intending to see all your recommendations before, w/ the exception of "Little Big Man" (which I've never heard of until you mentioned it), I'll be sure to check it out! I'll also try and post a mini review to each of the films I watch on here (similar to Phantom Stranger).

W/ the apparent western revival that has been brewing the past couple of years (thanks in part to "3:10 to Yuma" and "True Grit" and hopefully continuing through "Django Unchained"), I'm hoping we get more quality westerns being made on a yearly basis. I'm actually surprised Martin Scorsese hasen't made one yet, considering "The Searchers" is a favorite of his (and one that he references in his first film).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I don't know what timeframe you're looking at to watch all of these in, but you can't go wrong with a few more Fords:

My Darling Clementine (1946)*
Fort Apache (1948)*
3 Godfathers (1948)
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1949)*
Wagon Master (1950)*
Rio Grande (1950)
The Horse Soldiers (1959)
Sergeant Rutledge (1960)
Cheyenne Autumn (1964)*

I've starred the ones I find most worthwhile.

Along with Winchester '73, as mentioned by Stoo, another of the Anthony Mann/Jimmy Stewart collaborations would be good. The one I favor most is:

The Man from Laramie (1955)*

And then there's Sam Peckinpah. The Wild Bunch is the important one, but there's also:

Ride the High Country (1962)

These two Peckinpahs, along with Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Once Upon a Time in the West, constitute a sort of subgenre, the Elegaic Western or the "Passing of the West" Western. (There's not really any official name that I know of.) Two in that framework are the rather different:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
Unforgiven (1992)*

And if you haven't seen it (I'll echo strongly Stoo's recommendation for The Ox-Bow Incident), you really ought to see:

High Noon (1952)

And, for an oddity, the post-World War II modern Western, starring Spencer Tracy as a one-armed man who's come to a small desert town to right a wrong:

Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

Just watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for the first time. Thought the movie was great. Is it just me though or does the soundtrack totally not fit the movie?

Otherwise it was excellent

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Henry W Jones said:
Just watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for the first time. Thought the movie was great. Is it just me though or does the soundtrack totally not fit the movie?

Well, it's a late 60s movie as much as a Western.

But it also makes sense. Being outlaws is a bit of a romp for them, and the music reflects that.

Henry W Jones

Attila the Professor said:
Well, it's a late 60s movie as much as a Western.

But it also makes sense. Being outlaws is a bit of a romp for them, and the music reflects that.

You do mean Robert Redford and Paul Newman don't quite fit the outlaw role?

Just listened to Dennis Miller interview the author...

The 100 Greatest Western Movies of All Time: Including Five You've Never Heard Of

Beyond being eminently browseable and lavishly illustrated, the book?compiled by the editors of the popular Western magazine American Cowboy?is sure to generate hot debate over its ?top 100? list, and it covers plenty of movies that appeal to a wide variety of ages and tastes?from The Ox-Bow Incident, High Noon, and Shane to The Wild Bunch, High Plains Drifter, and Unforgiven.

Each essay makes the case for why the selected movie belongs in the top 100?and included are five movies you?ve never heard of but should immediately put high on your list. The introduction sets forth the criteria for the selections while also presenting a short history of the genre.