What is your single LEAST favourite scene from the trilogy?

I know this is gonna be a popular answer. Speedboats... However, my prize goes to the Young Indy sequence in LC. Tiresome explanation of the character that wasn't necessary. (IMO):(

oki9Sedo

herr gruber said:
I know this is gonna be a popular answer. Speedboats... However, my prize goes to the Young Indy sequence in LC. Tiresome explanation of the character that wasn't necessary. (IMO):(

The speedboat chase in Last Crusade.

http://www.theraider.net/showimage.p...nshots/143.jpg

Gotta love those steel masts, aerials and warehouses, they're so conveyant of 1938 Venice, and not 1988 London docks. Awful location scouting, just awful.

Indy's Sidekick

Ick factor

The dining scene from doom. That was just gross. I mean, come on! Those were supposed to be relatively normal people there. Snakes and beatles and brains, oh my.

No Ticket

I never liked (when I was a kid) the scene with Indy and Marion on the ship (the kisses and stuff)...

but now that i'm grown up I like pretty much all the scenes. lol.

Little Indy

The opening sequence in TOD with Willie singing. If they had kept it with her in the club itself it would have been fine. But I just can't stand the dancing girls inside the dragons's mouth and that big red cloth Willie brings out. Just seems a little odd in my book.

Kingsley

I don't like all the Thugees temple stuff. I know it's not just a scene, it's about 30 minutes between the discovery of the cult and the mine chase scene (n)

Just one? How about all of Last Crusade? A blunder straight through. Though I must agree that the Young Indy scene is particularly awful and for exactly the same reason that was already stated. You kill the myth of the character by introducing all this back-story. He's no longer a mysterious figure but instead has a past rooted in reality. Same problem with introducing his father. Ugh.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I hate to be one of those types, but what really springs to mind is that borderline offensive invented exoticism of the Pankot Palace dinner sequence. I like the dialogue just fine - that stuff's classic - but the trappings are too much.

oki9Sedo

Kingsley said:
What I like about TOD and LC is that they generate richer opinions in people than the unanimous Raiders.

True.

Raiders has always been my personal favourite for all the obvious reasons.

Interestingly, when you think about it, Temple is the most child-friendly. Yes, it has child slavery, but none of the children are seriously hurt and they all arrive home alive and healthy at the end, laughing and hugging their parents with the Raiders March playing. Its got a child sidekick, more slapstick and goofball humour than the others, and the most straightforward story, and none of the more adult ideas in the other two.

I think the interesting thing about Crusade is its the most well-rounded film. It has a little of everything - action, adventure, comedy, character drama, romance, history etc.

Bjorn Heimdall

I think for me it's the transformation of Indy after drinking the blood in ToD. Even with rich supernatural elements in all movies the whole "drinking blood and becoming bad" thing just never clicked with me.

Joe Brody

Donovan's study in Last Crusade -- heavy-handed exposition, soap-opera quality set, clumsy movement -- and it's boring.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Donovan's study in Last Crusade -- heavy-handed exposition, soap-opera quality set, clumsy movement -- and it's boring.

Heh, just goes to show how warped I am...that somehow stands as a scene I count among my favorites. (This is probably tied into how quotable it is, for a certain type of quoter.)

Joe Brody

Attila the Professor said:
Heh, just goes to show how warped I am...that somehow stands as a scene I count among my favorites. (This is probably tied into how quotable it is, for a certain type of quoter.)

I think the Donovan character gets stronger as the film goes on -- but there's nothing (tension or otherwise) between Indy and Donovan in that scene. There's some good dialogue -- but that's it.

Plus, think back to our discussion on the motorcyle chase -- I'm a slave to the visuals.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
I think the Donovan character gets stronger as the film goes on -- but there's nothing (tension or otherwise) between Indy and Donovan in that scene. There's some good dialogue -- but that's it.

Plus, think back to our discussion on the motorcyle chase -- I'm a slave to the visuals.

This is true. As an actor, I'm a dialogue man, through and through.

Although, I'll offer up some defense: Donovan, the benign art collector, ought to be a bit of a milquetoast, so as to make the revelation of his true colors so much more out of left field. He seems like a man who would have engaging cocktail parties in his elegant penthouse, perhaps like a man who "would sell his mother for an Estruscan vase" (one gets the feeling that Walter neglects his guests on a regular basis), but not at all one who "would sell his country and his soul to the slime of humanity." Even the line that is called back to, about not trusting anyone, really doesn't telegraph anything at the time. The even kept him off of the poster, except for a small image of him standing on the sideboard of the one car. It's all to justify that rumble of thunder, really.

No Ticket

Attila the Professor said:
This is true. As an actor, I'm a dialogue man, through and through.

Although, I'll offer up some defense: Donovan, the benign art collector, ought to be a bit of a milquetoast, so as to make the revelation of his true colors so much more out of left field. He seems like a man who would have engaging cocktail parties in his elegant penthouse, perhaps like a man who "would sell his mother for an Estruscan vase" (one gets the feeling that Walter neglects his guests on a regular basis), but not at all one who "would sell his country and his soul to the slime of humanity." Even the line that is called back to, about not trusting anyone, really doesn't telegraph anything at the time. The even kept him off of the poster, except for a small image of him standing on the sideboard of the one car. It's all to justify that rumble of thunder, really.

I agree, why would there be tension when Indy has no reason to doubt what he is saying... it has to be a complete surprise to both Indy and the audience. I did like the dialogue between the two. Indy if anything, is bored with his discussion in the first place... he doesn't really have interest in this, until he finds out about his father.

This scene never really bothered me. I think it's only more boring now if you've seen it quite a number of times. "You've got the wrong Jones..." "Try my father."

"We already have. Your father's the one who's gone missing."

Something along those lines.

deckard24

ResidentAlien said:
Just one? How about all of Last Crusade? A blunder straight through. Though I must agree that the Young Indy scene is particularly awful and for exactly the same reason that was already stated. You kill the myth of the character by introducing all this back-story. He's no longer a mysterious figure but instead has a past rooted in reality. Same problem with introducing his father. Ugh.

As entertaining as LC can be at times, this is spot on!

The young Indy stuff is awful in my book. I didn't like as a kid when I saw it the first time in the theater, and I still feel the same way!

deckard24 said:
As entertaining as LC can be at times, this is spot on!

The young Indy stuff is awful in my book. I didn't like as a kid when I saw it the first time in the theater, and I still feel the same way!

See, the irony is... I like Young Indy the series. I just forget that it's the same character. You know? I just divorce myself of its lineage. I hate what it does in terms of Indy's mystique, but I don't mind the show on its own terms.

No Ticket

I imagine they explained his past in LC because they assumed that would be the last one and the last chance to do so. I agree and never really thought about it in that way. It does destroy some of those "where did he come from" questions. But I still really like LC and I think it is the most quotable of all of them actually.

Billy Ray

I realize this isn't exactly a scene (though it applies to pretty much every scene he is in), but my least favorite part of the trilogy is the transformation of Marcus Brody into a bumbling bufoon in TLC. In Raiders he comes across as almost a mentor to Indy, claiming that if he were younger he owuld go after the Ark. There is a sense that in his youger days he was much the same sort of adventurer as Indy. In TLC he is downgraded to comic relief.