Diamond Select 18 inch Talking Indiana Jones

Billy Ray

It was announced at Toyfair that Diamond Select would be making 18" Star Wars and Indiana Jones figures. Here is a pic and blurb on Indy:
diamond_indiana.jpg

very cool new addition to the Indiana Jones merchandise bandwagon will be the Diamond Select Toys lilne, starting with this really cool 18" talking figure with actual clothing. Think of the Sideshow Premium Format figures, but with some really cool articulation - anywhere from 15 - 20 points, depending on the figure. The details looked great on the sample at Toy Fair. I wasn't allowed to photograph it, so this scan will have to suffice for now.
These are supposedly going to go for around $75. Will definitely have to see more pics, but it looks kind of cool. Is that some sort of scabbard hanging off of his backside though...or is that his whip? Kind of odd either way. Not digging the fedora all that much, but you can't really see it that well. Not quite as nice looking as Sideshow's if you ask me.

ChromiumBlue37

It looks wonderful. Very tall - great likeness! Why is it called a Cloth Figure? Is it because of the soft goods clothing? The head and skin are plastic, I hope!

I'll take every and any Indy figure I can get of all sizes! The likeness is simply amazing!

Billy Ray

ChromiumBlue37 said:
It looks wonderful. Very tall - great likeness! Why is it called a Cloth Figure? Is it because of the soft goods clothing? The head and skin are plastic, I hope!

I'll take every and any Indy figure I can get of all sizes! The likeness is simply amazing!

Yeah, not sure why they are called "cloth figures", here is a shot of the body...looks like fairly decent articulation...and I agree, that left hand is very odd;y sculpted:
tf_day2_012.jpg

And here is Diamond Select's press release on Indy stuff:
If Adventure Has A Name... It Must Be Indiana Jones!

Under a new licensing agreement announced today, Indiana Jones fans and collectors will see several new lines of collectibles in 2008 from Diamond Select Toys. Partnering with Lucas Licensing, a division of Lucasfilm Ltd., DST will design and manufacture large-scale roto figures along with bust banks, figural banks and feature banks, among other categories based on the rich and diverse Indiana Jones franchise!

The Indiana Jones Ultimate Quarter Scale line will include characters from all four feature films. Each figure will include cloth outfits and accessories as well as an authentic sound clip from the massive Indiana Jones franchise. This line of hyper-detailed and super poseable figures will begin this summer with Raiders of the Lost Ark Indiana Jones.

Additionally, DST will expand into new categories including banks based on fan-favorite characters and scenes with a variety of features. New lines of bust-style banks and unarticulated figural banks will begin in 2008, blending detailed action-packed sculpts with traditional bank designs. A companion line of feature banks will include everything from sound and voice effects to coin-activated motion features such as whip attacks and booby-traps from the iconic films!

With Indiana Jones joining the likes of the best-selling Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Planet of the Apes and Transformers, be on the lookout for the very best in sci-fi toys and collectibles on display during this year’s Toy Fair!

I read that they are doing a 1:1 scale plastic bank of the Fertility Idol!

tnswman

well, this has to be the Dumbest thing i have seen out of the indy line-up..leave itto DST to screw something up. they have no business trying to make toys.

fixer79

tnswman said:
well, this has to be the Dumbest thing i have seen out of the indy line-up..leave itto DST to screw something up. they have no business trying to make toys.

Can I make a wild guess and suppose you own the Toys McCoy Indiana Jones, tnswman?
;)

metalinvader

What the hell is up with those hands?! Apparently,He was not master of his domain.Ten internet bucks for whoever gets that reference.:p

Billy Ray

The jury is still out as far as I am concerned. I definitely need to see more pics...and see it in real life before I decide if it's worth $75. I find it odd that Diamond wouldn't let anyone take pics at Toyfair of this line:confused: And what is up with the hand? Indy had some moves, but I don't think he was a master of the Eagle Claw fighting stye;) Diamond also has a track record of dragging their feet on getting products out the door...wonder if we will really see this by August?

tnswman

fixer79 said:
Can I make a wild guess and suppose you own the Toys McCoy Indiana Jones, tnswman?
;)

That's no secret....However, What does that have to do with this Monster? You know Some items just should NOT be made....At least let Sideshow do this since they understand anatomy quite well.

tnswman

It looks like he just suffered a stroke and lost the usage of that side of his body :( PATHETIC!! Diamond has tried to bully their way into EVER aspect of the collecting community.. If any of you have ever delt with them, you know what I mean.....We at Adventure Con used to do Exclusives with them and it was a nightmare getting them to do as contracted. Since we dropped them, they keep getting worse and worse.

Our New Exclusive partners already have a Quality figure in our hands for us to get them signed. www.adventurecon.com

drwynn

Sideshow's 12-inch figure has a lot better detailing on the clothing, as far as I'm concerned.

The fedora alone on the Diamond Select version makes me cringe. The top of the fedora isn't supposed to be rounded in the back...it's supposed to have a dented-bash going straight down the middle of the top. Sideshow nailed the hat (pretty much)...it looks like Diamond Select ran it over with a truck and then asked Disney to mold it back into shape...because it totally resembles the knock-off Disney hats.

And, yes...I realize that this post makes me seem like one of the biggest Indy-dorks alive and is a bit nit-picky in general...but, his fedora is such a sognature part of his look. I hoped that anyone even attempting a figure would realize this and make every attempt to get it as close to screen accurate as possible.

Last edited:

inuvuwow

Hey tnswman?

I live up here in Somerset, Kentucky( Lake Cumberland). Is Adventurecon a pretty cool happening? I'm piecing together a screen accurate Indy costume and would love to wear it down there.