The thing you and ONLY you think you noticed

The Drifter

I always wondered why when Indy's old friend (the waiter in ToD, what's his name?) gets shot, why there is no bullet hole in his shirt where the blood blossoms up.

DocWhiskey

Stoo said:
Apologies if I'm being rude but...noted what exactly? The fact that Indy spoke those lines?:confused:
If there's some hidden/inside joke or something then, please, enlighten us.:cool:

No need to apologize, friend:D

But, I don't know, he says it in such a feminine tone. I mean, I would mention it and when that scene arose people would listen for it and chuckle. So, it's immature maybe, but maybe it's just me:confused:

WillKill4Food

DocWhiskey said:
When my friend and I watch "Raiders" we always laugh at the way Indy asks Marion for "Whiskey" when he is in the scuttle in the raven. And when Marion and Indy are in Cairo we always think it's funny how Indy says, "It's a date, ya eat 'em". Just watch and you'll understand.
Well, when I first saw it, of course I was really little, I thought that his line "Don't worry, have a date" was "Don't worry, he has a date" and I thought that Indy was trying to make a lame joke.

The Drifter

DocWhiskey said:
No need to apologize, friend:D

But, I don't know, he says it in such a feminine tone. I mean, I would mention it and when that scene arose people would listen for it and chuckle. So, it's immature maybe, but maybe it's just me:confused:

Don't worry. I still laugh when he says "It's a date! Ya, eat'em!"
he sounds like a 14 year-old boy during that line.

The Drifter

DocWhiskey said:
^Yeah, it's like his voice cracks or something.:D

I also love how Belloq says "You know it's true" when he telling Indy how they are alike.
Something about the way he says it makes me laugh.

oki9Sedo

Remember when Indy attempts to jump across the ravine in the Idol Temple in Raiders? When he manages to grab onto a.....thing, whatever it is.....he smiles and you see all this black stuff on his teeth.

The Drifter

oki9Sedo said:
Remember when Indy attempts to jump across the ravine in the Idol Temple in Raiders? When he manages to grab onto a.....thing, whatever it is.....he smiles and you see all this black stuff on his teeth.

I always thought that that was dust.

Truck chase, Raiders. Nazi goon punching Indy in his gunshot wound. Blood on the Nazis fist. Blood not on the Nazis fist.

Grave Robber

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I always wondered why when Indy's old friend (the waiter in ToD, what's his name?) gets shot, why there is no bullet hole in his shirt where the blood blossoms up.

Yeah I wondered this too. I always thought there was a hole but that you just couldn't see it through the blackness of the tux jacket. Also that it wasn't that big of a bullet since he didn't bleed that much.

Another thing I always notice is in Raiders, when Indy swims onto the sub and jumps up to find the hatch, there's a Nazi flag just sticking out randomly waving in the wind. I always wondered why they'd put a flag outside a sub, unless they had replacements.

The Drifter

Laserschwert said:
Talking about the submarine, when Indy gets on top of it, he does this strange spin... show-off! :whip:

When he spinned, it looked to me like he was thinking <i>"WTF do I do now?"</i>

Kooshmeister

Let's see, for Raiders, stuff I've noticed in repeated viewings that my family and friends didn't catch:

1. The whole thing with the other officer in the troop car. Up until I brought him up as my first post on this board (or one of my first, anyway) I'd never seen anybody mention noticing a third officer at Tanis (I'm still trying to figure out where he came from, since he doesn't appear until just before the chase begins, already in the car).

2. When the weird noises and light first start coming out of the Ark, the two soldiers who discretely move from the front of the crowd to the back, are the same two who opened it for Belloq. In pan-and-scan versions it looks like they actually have the brains to sneak off, but instead they stupidly linger at the back of the crowd.

3. Gobler the ventriloquist. It's the worst audio-visual blooper in the movie in my opinion, and one that's been hidden from many viewers' eyes for years due to poor Gobler being consistently offscreen in pan-and-scan versions of the movie. I don't claim to be the first to have noticed it, but I was the one who submitted it to Nitpickers.com (along with the one about Gobler's goggles going up and down in different shots in the truck chase).

4. The so-called Tall Captain who tells Belloq he's arranged the altar for him, despite being seen walking with the procession through the canyon, is not present at the actual opening of the Ark (that I can see, anyway).

5. Not including accidental players like the guy who lands on the truck hood early on, the total number of participants in the truck chase (including Indy) is 19:

1 Indiana Jones on horsie
1 Belloq in black Mercedes
1 Toht in black Mercedes
1 Dietrich in black Mercedes
1 Gobler in troop car
1 German officer in troop car
13 German soldiers altogether; 1 to drive black Mercedes, 2 in truck cab, 7 in back (including the Sarge), 1 manning machine gun in troop car, and 2 on motorcycle with sidecar

(I have way too much free time.)

6. And just to make this an even number of stuff, I guess I just pay more attention to Gobler than most (he really has grown on me despite being possibly the least effective bad guy in the movie; only the Cairo Swordsman is more useless), but when the car goes flying off the cliff, despite there being three people in it, only two fall out as it plummets; Gobler is the one who remains seated. Apparently, he remembered his seatbelt.

Last edited:

Grave Robber

It was brought to my attention that in ToD, before Indy boards the plane in the beginning the guy they talk to is actually played by Dan Akroyd (don't remember the character's name). Never knew that he made such a cameo.