Indiana Jones Top Trumps Cards

Montana Smith said:
What was on the backs of them?
I'm pretty sure it was a design similar to those on Bicycle Playing Cards.

bicycle-808-seconds.jpg

Montana Smith said:
I have two vintage (20s-30s?) packs of cards from Hong Kong & Shanghai Hotels Ltd. They're still sealed inside, but the back of one card shows the company crest.
I have a repro of American Revolution period cards...keep them with my Indy "gear."

Montana Smith said:
...only between the cheeks of his ahhh...
The joy of the crack-ing sound, and the "pop."

Stoo

JuniorJones said:
Top Trumps "Specials" are used for licenced material. Other catagories are Classics (non-licenced), Juniors (Young Children) and Limited Editions (Collectors)
Just had a look at the cards you posted in the other thread. There seem to be 2 different sets because the other ones only say "Top Trumps" with no "Specials" written anywhere and their layout is not the same. Since Indy is licensed material, why does the other set not say, "Specials"? Call me a numbskull but I'm confused.:confused:
Montana Smith said:
The only strategy is deciding the highest value on your card, relevant to the cards being held by your opponents.
Hmm...According the the rules (in this set), the player is only allowed to look at the top card of their dealt hand and can only follow suit with the value being played. No strategy, whatsoever.
Montana Smith said:
You never played Top Trumps before?

When I was at primary school, Trumps were a major playground craze. Sets with cars were a general favourite, and it was where we all learned about the Wankel engine (a cause for major sniggers!)
I think there's only 1 year difference in our age and I'd never even heard of Top Trumps before reading about them here at The Raven, let alone play it! Is this game a U.K. creation which might have only crossed the pond after I finished elementary school?

Another confusing thing is the name, "Top Trumps", which sounds too similar to "Topps" cards.

Monty Python were responsible for my awareness of the Wankel rotary engine, though I now realize that the Wankel had been exposed to me much earlier through Disney's, "Dad, Can I Borrow the Car?" but, in 1972, it just didn't stick.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Just had a look at the cards you posted in the other thread. There seem to be 2 different sets because the other ones only say "Top Trumps" with no "Specials" written anywhere and their layout is not the same. Since Indy is licensed material, why does the other set not say, "Specials"? Call me a numbskull but I'm confused.:confused:[/SIZE]

Don't be confused and check your PM Box.:D

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Hmm...According the the rules (in this set), the player is only allowed to look at the top card of their dealt hand and can only follow suit with the value being played. No strategy, whatsoever.

Yep, the player picks what they think is the best entry on the card they're holding. All the opponent can do is say what their equivalent entry says. It's not much of a strategy, as once you're familiar with all the cards you'll automatically know whichentires are more likely to 'trump' your opponent's next card.

Stoo said:
I think there's only 1 year difference in our age and I'd never even heard of Top Trumps before reading about them here at The Raven, let alone play it! Is this game a U.K. creation which might have only crossed the pond after I finished elementary school?

Another confusing thing is the name, "Top Trumps", which sounds too similar to "Topps" cards.

Growing up with them, I took it for granted that they were a worldwide phenomenon. I have no idea where they began.

fenris

Trump cards were a popular game when I was a kid. So I'm guessing it should have been popular worldwide... at least for those 30 and above.

We used to call it Super Trump, though... because there was always a card which was labeled "Super Trump". If you had this card, even if you're not the person who decides which stat to call out, you can just shout out, "Super Trump!" before anybody else and win that hand.

I had trump cards for tanks, planes and cars when I was six years old. Me and my friends usually play this on the way home from school while riding the school bus.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Growing up with them, I took it for granted that they were a worldwide phenomenon. I have no idea where they began.
fenris said:
Trump cards were a popular game when I was a kid. So I'm guessing it should have been popular worldwide... at least for those 30 and above.
Well, I'm over 30 and had never heard of them until 2008. Do you grow up in the UK, fenris, or did the Philippines import the cards?
----
From wiki:
Original games
Top Trumps was a popular children's card game in the United Kingdom in the 1970s and 1980s, especially amongst boys, for whom it was a popular playground pastime. The topics tended to reflect this, and included military hardware, modes of transport and racing cars. The packs tended to be priced so that children could collect new packs by saving pocket money for a few weeks.

The original Top Trumps were launched in 1977, with eleven different packs published by a company named Dubreq, also known for the Stylophone. Dubreq was taken over by Waddingtons in 1982, and they continued manufacturing packs until the early 1990s. The packs from this period are now collectible.

Modern relaunch
In 1999 the rights to the game were purchased by Winning Moves, who relaunched the game.

fenris

On Stoo's request, I'm posting my latest find here.

I've found an Indiana Top Trumps Book!
9781844256846-crop-325x325.jpg

It's basically just a sort of character synopsis of all the characters they used in the Top Trumps Card Game. Character description (with photo of course) which spans a few paragraphs (very basic info) and the stats that come with the cards.

It's a nice companion to the actual card game.

I bought it locally here in the Philippines (found it in a local bookstore) and that was the only copy I saw. I searched the 'net and found some on Amazon.

fenris

Stoo said:
Well, I'm over 30 and had never heard of them until 2008. Do you grow up in the UK, fenris, or did the Philippines import the cards?
----

Well, they weren't exactly "Top Trumps." They were a different brand called, "Ace Trump Game" which is very similar.

Stoo

fenris said:
It's a nice companion to the actual card game.

I bought it locally here in the Philippines (found it in a local bookstore) and that was the only copy I saw. I searched the 'net and found some on Amazon.
Since my Indy collection mainly consists of video & printed material, I would buy this if I saw it. I'm assuming it's a paperback with colour pages?
fenris said:
Well, they weren't exactly "Top Trumps." They were a different brand called, "Ace Trump Game" which is very similar.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, fenris.:)

Stoo said:
Since my Indy collection mainly consists of video & printed material, I would buy this if I saw it. I'm assuming it's a paperback with colour pages?

The book has been around since 2008. It was only sold outside of North America (as far as I know)... Amazon UK still sells it - and it says only 1 left.... but Amazon France also has it....

Forbidden Eye

Going through my stuff today and found these Top Trumps cards! Got em for free at the theaters seeing Indy 4 opening day. What do you think, should I eventually open em, or leave them unopened forever?

Last edited:
Forbidden Eye said:
Going through my stuff today and found these Top Trumps cards! Got em for free at the theaters seeing Indy 4 opening day. What do you think, should I eventually open em, or leave them unopened forever?

Open them - they are quite common.