The Dark Knight Rises

agentsands77

My idea for the use of the Riddler is to take a story element of DARK VICTORY and make the crux of BATMAN 3 a murder mystery:

The Riddler has deduced the truth behind the Dent cover-up, and launches a set of murders using Dent's private case files as a calling cards (with riddles scrawled on them of course). Given the targets, who'll all be crooked cops and mobsters, and the use of Dent's private case files, it'll almost look like Dent has returned from the dead, creating a rather bizarre set of murders which will mystify Batman and the police and hints at Dent's darker actions.

Of course, the Riddler's whole motivation is to toy with Batman, asserting his superior mental status, and eventually reveal the truth about Dent's final hours. And what better way for the Riddler to rattle Batman's cage than by poking at the tragedy and great lie of his Batman career?

Katarn07

David Goyer talks. This is the guy that revealed their plans for Joker being in part 2 and scarring Harvey in part 3 and having them together in part 3. Apparently Jonathan Nolan couldn't wait and crammed all of that into one movie. I'm glad now we can have another (hopefully) great story with new characters. Anywho, here's what he says:

* "I think that’s the scariest thing – to think, could we come up with a third movie that was as good as the first two? Can we top ourselves? Doing it a third time would be a big proposition. We’ve only talked loosely about it, though, Chris and I."

* "I have [a theme and villain]. But I’m not going to tell you. Chris is very particular about that."

* "I do think, though, that if there’s not a third film – these two movies stand on their own. I think it could go either way."

I'm not so pumped for it to be honest. After BB, I was craving info about the next Batman movie. But after TDK? I'm dying to go back to the theater to see it again and again. It is easily my favorite movie ever.

Forget villains. The three best ones (Joker, Two-Face, Ra's al Ghul) have been used and are unlikely to return so I'll trust the Nolans' judgment as to who should be in the next one. I wanna know more about Wayne Manor, the Batcave, and his new ride. The Batpod wasn't as bad as I'd feared, though it doesn't hold a candle to the Tumbler.

TravisBickle

TheMutt92 said:
-have some theme related to Batman as a fugitive

Holy hell, you just made the best movie of all time.

93%20Tommy%20Lee.jpg

US Deputy Marshall Samuel Gerard is back, and has another fugitive to catch. The Batman.

The Man

TravisBickle said:
Holy hell, you just made the best movie of all time.

93%20Tommy%20Lee.jpg

US Deputy Marshall Samuel Gerard is back, and has another fugitive to catch. The Batman.

How about a ruthless bounty hunter assigned to track down 'The Batman'? Is there an established villain who could fit the bill?

glorbes

The Man said:
How about a ruthless bounty hunter assigned to track down 'The Batman'? Is there an established villain who could fit the bill?

Bane could be cast easily as a bounty hunter...but I don't really know if Bane is iconic enough to work in these films.

Deckard

Zack Snyder of 300 is supposedly trying to convince WB to let him adapt Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns into a film that would stand seperate from Nolan's films.

If your not familiar, it involves Bats coming out of retirement, the Joker, and an epic Batman/Superman battle.

Heres my idea for a 3rd Nolan film I came up with for another forum, its just a basic way to adapt Hush.

Batman is looked upon a failure and villain. Gotham Police apoint a special taskforce to stop vigilantes headed by Gordon and Harvey Bullock. To make matters worse, in the wake of the Joker's carnage, a Catburglar has been taking advantage of loose security all over Gotham, robbing museums, jewlery stores, and other High Class citizens. Batman is hot on the trail of the catburglar thanks to mysterious riddles he has been recieving. He is chasing the Catwoman when he falls and fractures his skull.

He somehow awakes on his front steps and Alfred calls Tom Elliot in from Metropolis to perform emergencey surgery. During surgery flashback to Wayne as a child w/ Elliot. Wayne's injurty is blamed on drunk driving and the Wayne Industries board becomes concerned about his erratic behavior. They force him to begin seeing a shrink, Dr. Hugo Strange.

Meanwhile Bruce attends the opera w/ Sylina when he gets a Riddle, Hush appears for the first time, taking the theatre hostage and demanding for Bruce Wayne to show himself. Bruce and Sylina end up sneaking off and coming back as there alteregos and a 3 way fight ensues. Hush escapes and Catwoman bails. Riddler reveals himself, and confronts Hush and tells him he can help him with his Bruce Wayne problem.

Hugo Strange, after a few more sessions w/ Bruce, suspects he is the Batman and begins to dig for evidence. Hugo is working for the board and will do anything to get rid of Wayne, he also hates Batman, bcuz he feels he has a negative effect on the Gotham people's morale. Gordon and Bullock are also closing in on Bats although Gordon does what he can to throw the taskforce off target and protect Batman. Eventually Hugo Strange attacks the catwoman dressed in Batman's suit thinking he will make Batman (who he hates) look even worse, but he is instead defeated and arrested. The taskforce believes they have the real Batman and backs off.

Hush later attacks Batman again by surpsrise thanks to help from the Riddler and hurts him bad before revealing he knows who Batman is. But he then spares Bruce, as if he is toying with him. Bruce tracks down Riddler and finds out Hush is Thomas Elliot. Riddler tells Bats, he has been watching him and knows who he is and he told Hush. He also is the man who saved Bats' life by returning him home after his fall which fractured his skull. Riddler enjoys playing Batman against Hush like a game of chess. Hush is still pissed at Bruce because Bruce's father failed to save Thomas's parents during emergency surgery from a car wreck. He is as disgusted by Wayne's reckless playboy behavior. Riddler also reveals Hush has captured Catwoman and is going to force Bats into a trap.

Batman goes anyway and with Sylina's help fights Hush. Hush gets the better of them and is going to kill Batman when Jim Gordon shows up and shoots Hush, saving Batman. He and Bats have an exchange and Jim hints he knows its Wayne. Batman and Catwoman should then meet up on a rooftop somewhere and they kiss before she takes off into the night and the film ends.

TheMutt92

Deckard said:
Zack Snyder of 300 is supposedly trying to convince WB to let him adapt Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns into a film that would stand seperate from Nolan's films.

As long as its seperate... maybe. But I really doubt WB could afford having two major Bat projects floating around at the same time. Though I do think a more realistic Nolan approach to TDKR would be a cool potential 4th or 5th Batman movie should Chris and co. desire to make more than three (or two for that matter).

Deckard

TheMutt92 said:
As long as its seperate... maybe. But I really doubt WB could afford having two major Bat projects floating around at the same time. Though I do think a more realistic Nolan approach to TDKR would be a cool potential 4th or 5th Batman movie should Chris and co. desire to make more than three (or two for that matter).

Right now, its looks like we'll be very lucky to get a 3rd. They have only lightly tossed around the idea, and Nolan isn't sure he can top TDK. He said he'd be totally cool with just Begins and TDK standing by themseleves. :eek:

TheMutt92

Deckard said:
Right now, its looks like we'll be very lucky to get a 3rd. They have only lightly tossed around the idea, and Nolan isn't sure he can top TDK. He said he'd be totally cool with just Begins and TDK standing by themseleves. :eek:

Well, knowing Nolan, I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled somthing crazy and topped TDK. But to be more realistic, most third films never match up fully to their previous installments. But I wouldn't mind if number three was only on par w/ BB.

The Man

Hmmm...

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0729/joliea.html

'...Angelina Jolie is said to have enquired about playing the role of Catwoman in a future Batman sequel, according to the actress who originally made the role famous.'

'...Veteran actress Julie Newmar played the feline villain in the 1960s Batman television series and says she would love Jolie to take the role should 'The Dark Knight' director Christopher Nolan decide to use the character in a future sequel.'

fixer79

The Man said:
Hmmm...

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0729/joliea.html

'...Angelina Jolie is said to have enquired about playing the role of Catwoman in a future Batman sequel, according to the actress who originally made the role famous.'

'...Veteran actress Julie Newmar played the feline villain in the 1960s Batman television series and says she would love Jolie to take the role should 'The Dark Knight' director Christopher Nolan decide to use the character in a future sequel.'

Mmmh, I don't know...
Jolie as Catwoman is a bit too... I dunno... too obvious.
I think this is one of those early Batman 3 rumors that will soon turn out to be fake...

It remembers me of the days when Batman Returns was in production and some magazine-spawned rumor claimed that Michael J. Fox was going to be playing Robin...

Another claimed that Joker would be back in 'Returns', along with his brother played by Mick Jagger.
True story! Well... false rumor.

Jolie as catwoman... Neih... I doubt it.

I'm still puttin' my money on Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin...
:)

agentsands77

Jolie would be awful. She's not a very good actress, and can very easily cross into camp territory. I can't imagine her playing Catwoman with all the restraint needed.

The Man

There's no denying that Jolie is a tasty kitty, but she would bring distracting baggage - one reason why Ledger's casting was so liberating. Angie has two routines: 'earth mother' and 'saucy vixen' - and it's getting tired...

fixer79

The Man said:
There's no denying that Jolie is a tasty kitty, but she would bring distracting baggage - one reason why Ledger's casting was so liberating. Angie has two routines: 'earth mother' and 'saucy vixen' - and it's getting tired...

Exactly! Nicely put.
We need a bolder choice than Jolie to pick up the Catwoman's whip...

But who?...
Who?...

Personally, I wouldn't mind Claire Forlani being Catwoman...
Not that that would be such a bold choice though...

roundshort

I think they found Heath's replacement . . .

Holy hooligans! Phony 'Joker' arrested in Michigan
July 29, 2008, 7:47 AM EST

THREE RIVERS, Mich. (AP) -- Police in Michigan have arrested a man who they say tried to steal posters and other items related to the new Batman movie from a cinema lobby while dressed up as the Joker.

Detective Mike Mohney said Monday 20-year-old Spencer Taylor of Three Rivers has been booked for investigation of larceny and malicious destruction of property.

Taylor is scheduled to be arraigned Aug. 5 in St. Joseph County District Court.

There is no telephone listing under his name in the Three Rivers area.

Mohney says officers who were dispatched early Sunday to the theater arrived to find employees restraining a man wearing a purple suit, a green wig and face paint in the style of Batman's nemesis in "The Dark Knight."

What a jerk!

sandiegojones

Deckard said:

If your not familiar, it involves Bats coming out of retirement, the Joker, and an epic Batman/Superman battle.
I'm all for films based on elseworlds tales. I'm hoping they do Superman RED SON too.

As far as a 3rd Nolan film, I hope there's no Catwoman, no Joilie and I also think HUSH is a weak villian. I'm positive they'll go the Riddler route.

HovitosKing

Deckard said:

I hated Dark Knight Returns. What crap. The futuristic Gotham was annoying, too much clutter, not enough grit. I hope to God this never happens.

roundshort said:
I think they found Heath's replacement . . .

Holy hooligans! Phony 'Joker' arrested in Michigan
July 29, 2008, 7:47 AM EST

THREE RIVERS, Mich. (AP) -- Police in Michigan have arrested a man who they say tried to steal posters and other items related to the new Batman movie from a cinema lobby while dressed up as the Joker.

Detective Mike Mohney said Monday 20-year-old Spencer Taylor of Three Rivers has been booked for investigation of larceny and malicious destruction of property.

Taylor is scheduled to be arraigned Aug. 5 in St. Joseph County District Court.

There is no telephone listing under his name in the Three Rivers area.

Mohney says officers who were dispatched early Sunday to the theater arrived to find employees restraining a man wearing a purple suit, a green wig and face paint in the style of Batman's nemesis in "The Dark Knight."

What a jerk!

Now all he needs to do is kill a few people and break out of jail. What a loser.

Last edited by a moderator:

agentsands77

HovitosKing said:
I hated Dark Knight Returns. What crap. The futuristic Gotham was annoying, too much clutter, not enough grit. I hope to God this never happens.
I don't hate it, but I don't much care for it, either. My main complaints are the rather sloppy narrative and a really unlikable psychopath Batman. But I do like some of the stuff with the Joker, and it is fun to see Batman take down Superman (even though DKR's portrayal of Superman is a terrible insult to a great character).

sandiegojones said:
I'm hoping they do Superman RED SON too.
If they do, I hope they seriously revamp it. 'Cause that story failed to take advantage of so much of its potential, despite having a terrific concept.