Little help for a new guy? Indys's bag

Deadlock

Snakewhip_Sable said:
The sun should also kill any mould or musty funk it has, if it has any. Good call. Todd's will also have a screen accurate strap and buckle, won't it?

I had a somewhat funky MK VI, which I took care of by washing it out in some warm water and baking soda. Baking soda is fantastic for removing odors.

In terms of an accurate and quality bag strap, I highly recommend www.texasactiongear.com. The strap is supple, comes in two lengths, has silver Chicago screws, accurate and solid buckle, and Texas ships very quickly. I have one of his straps on my MK VI and am totally pleased. Check out the testimonials for other comments from known COW denizens.

Panama Tom Jr.

If you go with a Todd or WPG bag you will definitely want to upgrade the strap - the buckle's not bad, but the strap leaves some to be desired. I'd go with either Todd's deluxe or with the above mentioned texasactiongear - I actually bought Todd's deluxe buckle and added it to a strap I had custom made by a local saddle maker...

The Belafonte

the MK VI

I am interested in purchasing an Indiana Jones Bag, however, I would rather have a vintage one, not a new one. I sometimes see the MK VI as oppose to the MK VII, and I was wondering if there are any major differences. I know that it is not the orginal, but how much of a difference exactly is there (besides the 2 rings on the sides of the bag which could easily be removed). Are the inisides the same? are the dimensions the same? I am looking for any feedback on the MK VI

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know anything about these bags, but I think that the MkVI has three vents and the MkVII has only two.

This is a MkVI:

gear_laukku_3.jpg

Last edited:

The Belafonte

question

which in your opinion would be a better buy, the replica of the MK VII for a MK VI with the leather strap alteration. (It is the MK VI that has 2 vents and the 2 rings on the side), thanks

The Belafonte

Bag Straps

Which deluxe strap is better for the MKVII bag, the todd's costume strap, or the texas action strap? they both look nice, but the texas action strap looks a little better. I havent seen either in person just the websites and i know a bunch of you have...

Neolithic

I have Todd's strap and two Keppler straps. When the guys mention above that the Texas strap is supple- that for me is a winner, the Keppler strap is supple but inaccurate (it needs those grooves). The Todd's strap is fairly tough feeling and the buckle I think is slightly (ever so slightly) too large- so I'd suggest the Texas strap, looks like it's the most accurate from what I've seen online. :)

Indy Jerry

Luisiana Jones said:
I think that would be more of a taste thing, i mean the one u like most. :whip:

Right. I found the Todd's strap to be much saltier. :rolleyes:

Neolithic said:
Yeah, sorry- that's what I meant. :p
The soft strap is better than the rougher ones.

Oh, er...right. Yeah, you're right, he probably wasn't doing a taste-test. My bad. :whip: :eek:

The Belafonte

Texas

So I should go with the Texas Action strap? (it sounds better on the website) and as far the grooves go, it says I can get it with grooves or without grooves, in the movies does the strap have grooves or not? what are the pros and cons of the grooves? i am lost,

Deadlock

I believe that there is some argument regarding whether or not there were grooves in the films' straps. If I remember correctly, some scenes you could see it, others you couldn't. I don't think that the grooves serve any purpose (other than screen-accuracy, if you subscribe to that view). I think that they give the strap a more finished look, but that's just me. :)

Last edited:

Neolithic

I think the grooves were there. If you take a look at the front cover of the 1981 Rolling Stone magazine with Ford on the front cover as Indy- you can very clearly see the grooves- so I'd go with a Texas Action Strap with the grooves. It looks better in my opinion. :)

It's a small detail, but if it's important to you I could post a screenshot. :)

Last edited:

Indy Jerry

I agree that it's in that pic there, Neo. I kind of have the feeling there were multiple straps - I forget the details, but I picked up some stuff on COW about minor differences picked up from screen grabs.

I still can't help thinking they recycled old rifle straps. I got a batch of HK rifle straps from a place online, and although the hardware on them was consistent, the leather varied in finish color - and some had those runner grooves, and some didn't.

I'd say pick what you like, I think both are screen-accurate...just to different scenes.

J