TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-2007, 08:32 AM   #126
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwatts
I agree. It's the kind of thing George Lucas would do...er, did, with the prequels.

Did he? For all the prequels faults, the references to the original trilogy were done tastefully.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 PM   #127
snake_surprise
IndyFan
 
snake_surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
Did he? For all the prequels faults, the references to the original trilogy were done tastefully.

I disagree with this 100%.

He made an extremely interesting universe in the original trilogy go from being vast and expansive to trite and small. Re: Vader constructed 3P0, etc...

If Spielberg were not on board with Indy 4, and Lucas was directing/writing, there is no chance I would see it, even with Harrison back.
snake_surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #128
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake_surprise
I disagree with this 100%.

He made an extremely interesting universe in the original trilogy go from being vast and expansive to trite and small. Re: Vader constructed 3P0, etc...

If Spielberg were not on board with Indy 4, and Lucas was directing/writing, there is no chance I would see it, even with Harrison back.

I didn't really have a problem with Vader constructing C3PO. Sometimes incredible coincidences happen.

Even if you did feel that the original universe was made smaller by having such coincidences of people knowing each other or running into each other 20years ago (eg. Yoda and Chewie being friends, Vader and C3PO), it was vastly expanded in its mythology, with alot of new worlds introduced.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #129
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan
 
sunshinestate1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by oki9Sedo
I didn't really have a problem with Vader constructing C3PO. Sometimes incredible coincidences happen.

Even if you did feel that the original universe was made smaller by having such coincidences of people knowing each other or running into each other 20years ago (eg. Yoda and Chewie being friends, Vader and C3PO), it was vastly expanded in its mythology, with alot of new worlds introduced.
i like the idea
there kinda all related one way and another
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:54 PM   #130
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by salussolia
i like the idea
there kinda all related one way and another

I found there was probably a little too much of it. Vader having made C3P0 then their paths crossing again 30 years later is a big coincidence but since its interesting I'm okay with it, but having Chewie knowing Yoda years ago was a little too much.

At one stage they were going to have Han Solo as a little boy on the Wookiee planet in Revenge of the Sith, which I'm glad they didn't do, because thats just Lucas trying to explain things that don't need to be explained. Who cares how he befriended Chewie, he just befriended him somewhere along his travels and thats all that matters.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #131
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan
 
sunshinestate1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 515
But I Think It Would Have Been Could Do See What Han Solo Was Like As A Boy.
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #132
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by salussolia
But I Think It Would Have Been Could Do See What Han Solo Was Like As A Boy.

I'm not really fond of the idea at all myself-it just smacks of Lucas trying to over-explain things.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #133
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan
 
sunshinestate1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 515
Thats Like A Saying In Doaism
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #134
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by salussolia
Thats Like A Saying In Doaism

Ya wha?
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:42 AM   #135
Zorg
IndyFan
 
Zorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 483
Even if the "It's not the years.." line appears in KotCS, it won't ruin the movie. It'll take about a second to say. The movie lasts two hours. But I don't think it'll be there, 'cause Koepp said he didn't want to do a fanboy script.

Darabont deserves some credit for his work. Maybe a shared "story by" credit with Lucas while Koepp gets the "screenplay by" credit?
Zorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 AM   #136
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,915
Let's not forget Jeff Nathanson. Koepp's script is just supposed to be the Nathanson draft revisited, or so I hear.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #137
oki9Sedo
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Let's not forget Jeff Nathanson. Koepp's script is just supposed to be the Nathanson draft revisited, or so I hear.

Completely forgot about that.
oki9Sedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #138
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
And similarly, Nathanson was brought in to complete/touch up Darabont's drafts.
It's clearly not a "rush job" as some have claimed. They've spent several years with some of the best screenwriters in Hollywood working on this thing.

Some might be missing the purity that comes with a single screenwriter's credit, but it's almost never that pure. Some directors treat the script as the bible and adhere to it exactly (often the scripts they wrote themselves), but most add their own touches. Producers also have input. And then, a lot of actors are going to add their own nuances, changing the rhythm or wording of lines here and there in a way that works for them and the film (with the director's guidance).

Movies are obviously collaborative efforts, so it excites me to have those three screenwriters contributing to the script. I believe them when they say it was worth the wait, and it very well could be the best since Raiders.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #139
sunshinestate1992
IndyFan
 
sunshinestate1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 515
i now well have more on raiders of the lost drafts then if we had one writer
sunshinestate1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #140
torao
Moderator Emeritus
 
torao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
And similarly, Nathanson was brought in to complete/touch up Darabont's drafts.

I don't think anybody here knows to what extent he was completing it, touching it up or starting something new.


Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
It's clearly not a "rush job" as some have claimed. They've spent several years with some of the best screenwriters in Hollywood working on this thing.

I don't remember anybody calling this a "rush job".
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #141
Professor Jones
IndyFan
 
Professor Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by torao
I don't remember anybody calling this a "rush job".

I think Commontone referred to those who say that this movie could be put up in some rush because Harrison was getting too old. I've read such an opinion in other threads of The Raven, but I cannot remember which.

Of course the main objection to that perspective was, and I agree, that the movie is being done now not because of Harrison's age but JUST because they've waited 20 years to make it perfect. So me neither I would define it "rushed".
Professor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:16 PM   #142
torao
Moderator Emeritus
 
torao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Jones
I think Commontone referred to those who say that this movie could be put up in some rush because Harrison was getting too old. I've read such an opinion in other threads of The Raven, but I cannot remember which.

Of course the main objection to that perspective was, and I agree, that the movie is being done now not because of Harrison's age but JUST because they've waited 20 years to make it perfect. So me neither I would define it "rushed".


We should make it an obligation for every new "Ravener" to read the Indy IV news archives. These times of sheer endless development hell were really insane.
I especially recommend years 2002 - 2004.
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #143
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by torao
I don't think anybody here knows to what extent he was completing it, touching it up or starting something new.

Check the "Trivia" section of Indy IV on this site. We don't know to what extent but we do know that what Darabont started was handed to Nathanson.

Some people called it a rush job because of Harrison's ultimatum, where he said if it didn't get made by 2008 (? guessing) they should just forget about an Indy IV. As if, after that, they took what was a shoddy script and said, "Well, it's now or never, can't worry about how good the screenplay is."

I think Harrison was wise to do that, and knew it would create a lot of movement. It was his way of saying, "Look, the script has been worked on for years now, and we all like some of it, or a lot of it. Stop *****footing around and do what you gotta do to make this thing fly--you have x amount of time, or just forget about it."
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:28 AM   #144
torao
Moderator Emeritus
 
torao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by commontone
Check the "Trivia" section of Indy IV on this site. We don't know to what extent but we do know that what Darabont started was handed to Nathanson.

Yeah, that seems to be the case.
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #145
Sankara
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 904
@zorg
Yes, Koepp said he didn't want to do a fanboy script. Let's hope there is no son of Indy in the script - becaus this is a very lame fanboylike-Idea.
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #146
joelwatts
IndyFan
 
joelwatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 173
[quote=commontone]"Look, the script has been worked on for years now, and we all like some of it, or a lot of it. Stop *****footing around ....QUOTE]

Since when is *****footing a bad word worthy of deletion?
joelwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #147
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,915
Hard to say... since I have no idea what's behind all those asterisks.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #148
commontone
IndyFan
 
commontone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 556
It is a word that can be used to refer to a cat, among other things.

I never thought "cat"footing was a bad word, I thought it referred to the indecisive nature of cats.
commontone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #149
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,915
I'm no expert, but I'd guess it's got something to do with the dual meaning of that particular string of letters.

"Kitty" isn't forbidden, for example.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #150
Kingsley
IndyFan
 
Kingsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Argentina
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
@zorg
Yes, Koepp said he didn't want to do a fanboy script. Let's hope there is no son of Indy in the script - becaus this is a very lame fanboylike-Idea.
Koepp was closing a story, if an Indy son was part of that story I doubt he couldnīt do anything to change that. But I donīt think about it as a fanboylike idea. It can work if it is proerly treated.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.