General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

drwynn

ArabSwordsman; I'll turn 28 next Monday.

But, I'm not necesarily for or against the idea of Mutt Williams as a new adventure hero...I'm just not necessarily too keen on the idea of Indy being relegated to second fiddle...even if his mystique is intact and his aura/legend are respected to the fullest degree. Something about it just doesn't sit right with me for the time being...

But, I've been wrong before; when I heard about Alfred Molina being cast as Doc Ock in "Spider-Man 2" I was more than a little hesitant to embrace the idea. But, I think he was friggin' fabulous in the finished film.

Skipper

drwynn said:
I'm just not necessarily too keen on the idea of Indy being relegated to second fiddle...even if his mystique is intact and his aura/legend are respected to the fullest degree. Something about it just doesn't sit right with me for the time being...
I honestly just don't really understand this mindset. What is it about the character of Indiana Jones that makes it inconceivable that he could play a secondary role in some adventure? He's supposed to be a human being. No matter how "bad ass" you are, you can help someone else out without having to be the center of attention.

nitzsche

I'll be 37 this year. My oldest son will be turning 8. He loves the Indy movies and is really enjoying the Young Indy series, but he is also curious about the Mutt character since he is a younger man than Indy.

It's patently obvious why they cast Shia in a role for this movie.

I am excited to take my son to KOTCS and will be just as excited to take him to a Mutt Williams series of films.

That's what it is all about for me.

sandiegojones

You guys are all funny. You bash the idea but would be first in line to see it. Besides, if HF's involvement was as big as Connery's in LC then it's still significant. Wait to see Indy 4 before proclaiming it all sucks.

Arab Swordsman

Skipper said:
I honestly just don't really understand this mindset. What is it about the character of Indiana Jones that makes it inconceivable that he could play a secondary role in some adventure? He's supposed to be a human being. No matter how "bad ass" you are, you can help someone else out without having to be the center of attention.

Because you could get anyone to be a second fiddle type character. Just introduce a sidekick to Mutt. Why does it have to be Indy? You don't establish a main character in an action movie and then relegate him to being a sidekick down the road. James Bond was not a sidekick to another 00, Han Solo was never Chewbacca's co-pilot, and John McClane never followed another cop around. Even after watching the prequel Star Wars I never felt like Obi Wan played a sidekick to Luke in Star Wars.

The main argument comes down to wheter Indy and Mutt work together like they do in this one (which I can live with) or if Indy turns into Henry and Marcus in LC.

drwynn

Skipper said:

SKIPPER -

What is it about the character of Indiana Jones? Perhaps the fact that he's been the center of attention of what are, in my opinion, three of the greatest pieces of filmmaking entertainment I have ever laid my eyes upon. Perhaps the fact that, to me at least, he is the quintessential everyman hero...a character who rises up against seemingly insurmountable odds to defend justice and claim triumph when such achievements seem impossible. Perhaps the fact that he is, again in my own words, the greatest hero/icon of cinema. Maybe that's why I have a hard time seeing him as a secondary character.

Besides...you're putting words in my mouth. I never said I saw it as "inconceivable"...I merely said I wasn't too keen on it.

BUT...I also said I've ben wrong before...and this could be just such a case. So...maybe you were misinterpreting what I wrote just a tad...

The Man

sandiegojones said:
You guys are all funny. You bash the idea but would be first in line to see it. Besides, if HF's involvement was as big as Connery's in LC then it's still significant. Wait to see Indy 4 before proclaiming it all sucks.

I wouldn't be first in line - I really wouldn't. People can speculate the pros and cons, but to me it's an unnecessary spin-off. Ford should do a Connery and stay well away from the idea. The second - the very f**king second - I heard the rumours of a son, I knew this would happen. Sad. All we can hope for is a classy Crystal Skull with Mutt as second fiddle. After that, though, it ends.

nitzsche

Agent Spalko said:
Shia, the Disney Channel tool. No no no no no. (n) (n) (n) (n) (n)

See, that's the thing. You have to have watched the freaking Disney Channel to even fret about where the actor came from. It's your fault for watching the Disney Channel.

I tell you, all this tension toward Shia is rooted in either jealousy - or puppy love.

drwynn

Arab Swordsman said:
You don't establish a main character in an action movie and then relegate him to being a sidekick down the road. James Bond was not a sidekick to another 00, Han Solo was never Chewbacca's co-pilot, and John McClane never followed another cop around. Even after watching the prequel Star Wars I never felt like Obi Wan played a sidekick to Luke in Star Wars.

Another great point that I didn't hit upon that makes the idea not sit entirely well with me. But, again...I never said it was a "impossible" or "inconceivable" idea.

drwynn

nitzsche said:
I tell you, all this tension toward Shia is rooted in...jealousy...

Well, I've got no problems owning up to that bit. Speaking as an aspiring actor whose "hero" is Harrison Ford...Shia is living the life I always dreamed of.

But, in all fairness to me, I don't "hate" Shia. I'm just so damn envious of him...but, again, as a fellow actor...I'm super happy for him and can only imagine how happy, thrilled, and elated he must be to be where he is.

Can't speak to the "puppy love" theory...but, I suppose there's some merit to that claim as well.

A_True_Believer

Agent Spalko said:
Shia, the Disney Channel tool. No no no no no. (n) (n) (n) (n) (n)

That's not really a fair statement. Shia is far from being a Disney tool now. If you want to see that, look no further than Raven Symone or Miley Cyrus.

Don't hold Shia's past against him when he's done much better since then.

A_True_Believer said:
That's not really a fair statement. Shia is far from being a Disney tool now. If you want to see that, look no further than Raven Symone or Miley Cyrus.

Don't hold Shia's past against him when he's done much better since then.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CPzDjaA03ts&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CPzDjaA03ts&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Kernunnos

Indy playing second fiddle to that mongy little flid?

Lucas should be shot for even considering it.

I hope Ford and Spielberg boycott any attempt to make this happen.

Salacious

tnswman said:
This is from Fox news.

Lucas: 'Indy 5' a Possibility

George Lucas tells me it?s more than a strong possibility there will be a fifth "Indiana Jones." He says that he and director Steven Spielberg have left the door open for a sequel to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Lucas, looking dandy with slicked-back gray and white hair in a snappy tuxedo, was a guest Thursday night at Paramount/DreamWorks?s party for "Kung Fu Panda" at the 61st Cannes Film Festival.

The swell event was set up on the pier across from the Carlton Hotel, where the studio spared no expense recreating sets and treating guests to haute Chinese cuisine. There was even one of the 40 pandas from the publicity stunt the day before, dancing in the crowd to Carl Carlton?s old hit "Kung Fu Fighting."

Lucas had a lot to say about the new "Indy" and its future.

"I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.

"And it?s not like Harrison is even old. I mean, he?s 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and it?s not like he?s an old man. He?s incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."

Lucas says he?s not concerned about early mixed buzz on "Crystal Skull."

"This movie is the exact same experience as the other three were. The difference is, the novelty of discovery is gone. I get worried when I hear fans say they?re expecting something different that will change their lives. This is 'Indiana Jones' just as you remember him."

But that?s exactly the gamble Spielberg and Lucas took with reviving their icon. Expectation grows into a frenzy and then no one in that frame of mind can be satisfied.

You already can see this with "Sex and the City: The Movie" and it hasn't even opened everywhere. Fans and even some critics want some transcendent experience. They almost seem upset that all they got was ? "Sex and the City."

Lucas has been here before, when he revived and extended the "Star Wars" series. The build-up to the release of the fourth installment (aka now Chapter 1), "Phantom Menace," was huge until it reached a fever pitch. Then, almost before it could be absorbed, "Phantom Menace" became the target of scorn from fanatics. Computer-generated character Jar Jar Binks was public enemy No. 1.

But "Star Wars" continues to thrive. In August, Lucas says, he?s releasing an animated 90-minute "Star Wars" movie to theaters via Warner Bros. called "Clone Wars." It will be followed in September by an animated series on the Cartoon Network and TNT.

"No one wanted it," he told me. "Every studio rejected it, including Fox, and I?m very loyal to them. They have right of first refusal. Eventually I brought it to Warners. It?s the first time that three components of the studio have acted together. It?s very exciting.

"But the story is that everyone said, 'No one gets this. It?s just ? 'Star Wars.'' I said, 'That?s right, It?s just 'Star Wars.' Just like this is ? 'Indiana Jones.''"

Oh, yes, and by the way: If "Crystal Skull" breaks records when it opens on May 22, Lucas could wind up having his name on a fourth title in the all-time box office top 10 (it would be Spielberg?s second).

"But these movies ? the 'Indiana Jones' ones ? were never big hits right away. They were always slow starters that built up to big numbers," Lucas insisted.

I don?t think that will be the case with this one. And the notion that a sequel already is playing around in his head should only fuel the heady numbers about to be posted.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356282,00.html

An Indy 5 movie with Indy as the side character. :sick:

I could care less about Mutt, I want Indy.

I wont be watching it if Indy is a side character with a cameo. I actually hope Lucas makes this movie so the fanboys can cry and get mad on the internet...will be entertaining. :p

Salacious

Arab Swordsman said:
I don't agree with Agent Spalko that this new movie is going to be disappointing but I do agree totally that George Lucus must be stopped right now. I don't even know what to write about this article. I had a huge rant typed out and just deleted it. I really hope Harrison and Spielberg maintain the integrity of the movies and don't allow this to happen. The movies are called Indiana Jones, not Mutt Williams and allowing the main character to be secondary like that is a slap in the face of the last three films and this new one.

Um....Mutt's biggest fan is Speilbergo. He'd kill to direct him in another adventure movie. It was probably his idea to get the son in there too...and to cast Labeoff in it. They like each other.....alot. ;)

Adamwankenobi

Picture this: not only is Indy Mutt's sidekick in "Indy 5", but Indy loses his right eye during their adventure and has to wear an eyepatch. ;)

nitzsche

I think more so than Lucas having lost something over the years, it's a part of the fanbase that lost something. You people have lost your heart and part of your soul. Just go sulk and be emo someplace else. No one cares about you anymore. There is nothing being created for you anymore. You are no longer the target audience. Go away and pout someplace else.

Salacious said:
Um....Mutt's biggest fan is Speilbergo. He'd kill to direct him in another adventure movie. It was probably his idea to get the son in there too...and to cast Labeoff in it. They like each other.....alot. ;)

"My boy Shia." :D :D :D :D :D :D