TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > The Films > Indiana Jones 5
User Name
Password

Old 11-22-2017, 01:34 AM   #851
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders112390
Someone with Photoshop skills smooth out some of the wrinkles and darken his hair here:

You can't edit live action, like you're suggesting
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #852
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
Harrison Ford doesn't look 75 to me. My parents are 63 and they look much worse than him.
[...]
Someone with Photoshop skills smooth out some of The wrinkles and darken the hair.

It's ok. Let it all out.

... Not on me, but let it out.

Last edited by Gear : 11-22-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:46 AM   #853
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
You can't edit live action, like you're suggesting.
Yes you can, actually. It's not the 1990s anymore. It can even be done without looking incredibly fake and *mostly* avoiding the so-called uncanny valley.

The issue is that it's still going to look very... different from everything else seen on the screen. Unless the rest is going to get similarly touched too.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #854
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear

It's ok. Let it all out.

... Not on me, but let it out.

My point is that age effects everyone differently, and I genuinely think Harrison Ford looks fine for his age. Add makeup and some hair color and he'd look fine as Indy. I am also very anti-ageism, I think ageism is pretty despicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Yes you can, actually. It's not the 1990s anymore. It can even be done without looking incredibly fake and *mostly* avoiding the so-called uncanny valley.

The issue is that it's still going to look very... different from everything else seen on the screen. Unless the rest is going to get similarly touched too.

It depends how they approach it. I mean, Anthony Hopkins was de-aged for Red Dragon back in 2002 and even then, he didn't look uncanny valley-ish...Nor did they have to touch up the rest of the environment. We're getting to the point where entirely CG'ed humans (like in Rogue One) are beginning to look believable. I don't think a combination of (real) makeup, some light digital touchups would look too out of place, and I think it'd be just enough to make Harrison pass for a guy in his late 50s - mid 60s. I'm not saying he'd ever look 30 again. But he could easily with those tricks believably play an Indy film set at the end of the 1950s.

Quote:

You can't edit live action, like you're suggesting

I know you have this genuinely twisted belief (or something you're just trying to push to demoralize fans of Ford) that Harrison has Alzheimers and you use that gif any chance you get to push the image of him as "doddering old man"...But it doesn't work. Same time period, looks fine there.

Last edited by Finn : 11-23-2017 at 03:15 AM. Reason: learn to put it all in one post... or else
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #855
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
I'm not sure, I don't think we're quite there yet.

In my opinion, both Princess Leia in "Rogue One" and the Rachael replica in "BR 2049" look puffy faced and patently fake, despite using the latest technology.
And those were brief and very static scenes.

A whole action movie? Forget it.
Plus, I really doubt Ford would go for it - particularly with Spielberg at the helm.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #856
Pale Horse

Quote:
Disney's trying. To be sure. But like noted above, puffy and fake:

Quote:

I know you have this genuinely twisted belief (or something you're just trying to push to demoralize fans of Ford) ...

I'm such a fan of Ford, I'd hate for him to taint his legacy to appeal to fanboy rose colored glasses. Act your age, I say. That's the highest honor.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:56 PM   #857
IAdventurer01
IndyFan

Everyone always holds up Tarkin as the example to use. But as we're talking about some heavy digital make-up, I think Michael Douglas in the intro to Ant Man is a better comparison for what people are asking for and I felt was far more believable on-screen.

Personally, I think just a quality traditional make-up job is all that needed (or appropriate for a good older Indy adventure), but it could be done fairly convincingly.
IAdventurer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:56 AM   #858
Gear
IndyFan

Quote:
My point is that age effects everyone differently, and I genuinely think Harrison Ford looks fine for his age. Add makeup and some hair color and he'd look fine as Indy. I am also very anti-ageism, I think ageism is pretty despicable.

I just found it pretty entertaining the way you worded it.

Harrison does look fine for his age. I think you gotta make peace with the possibility of his Indy days having passed. Had a good run, now onto the next chapter. I have my preferences for how things will proceed in the franchise, but I'm really just watching how it plays out. How it ALL plays out (here's looking at y'all). I do think that for the dignity of Ford and the next film, going to the extremes suggested here isn't desirable.

I have to ask; if you're against ageism, why the push to de-age Ford, dye his hair, etc?
Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:12 AM   #859
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z dweller
I'm not sure, I don't think we're quite there yet.

In my opinion, both Princess Leia in "Rogue One" and the Rachael replica in "BR 2049" look puffy faced and patently fake, despite using the latest technology.
And those were brief and very static scenes.

A whole action movie? Forget it.
Plus, I really doubt Ford would go for it - particularly with Spielberg at the helm.
Comprehension, please. Note what Raiders112390 actually requested. It was *not* a full digital recreation of an actor akin to Tarkin/Leia/Rachael, but merely using CGI post-processing to add some color and make away with a few crinkles here and there.

If they try to make an actor look decades younger and run with it for an entire movie - yeah, the tech's not there yet. But Raiders112390 didn't say that they should use CGI to bring Mr. Ford back to his heyday. What he suggested - right in that post above yours - is to simply shave off a decade or fifteen years max, to make him look roughly as he did in KotCS... and, well, that's doable. Mostly. Especially because there'll be scenes that require only minimal touch-ups because a lot can achieved by using clever lighting alone.

What I must say though is that I mostly agree with this because the target is appropriate for these kind of tricks. This is in the range of plausible because Ford does look good for his age. So a general rule this is not, that I'll give to the dissenters.

The real issue is that from a studio exec's POV, it's still going to be a heckuva lot of work to appease a small demographic of navel-gazing Ford fetishists who consider his performance sacrosanct. The movie's still going to rake in millions even if you just recast and limit Ford's role to scenes where he plays Indy closer to his actual age. Not that I'm going to complain if they go for the former option.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #860
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear
I just found it pretty entertaining the way you worded it.

Harrison does look fine for his age. I think you gotta make peace with the possibility of his Indy days having passed.

Incorrect. Harrison Ford will star as Indiana Jones in the 5th installment scheduled for release in 2020.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #861
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
Incorrect. Harrison Ford will star as Indiana Jones in the 5th installment scheduled for release in 2020.
True.

But there's a large spectrum of what "stars" covers, from a full out Ford-only movie like the first 4 (minus the beginning of Crusade) to Ford bookending a story set in the 30's with a younger actor playing Indy.

Until a script is set and filming begins we won't really know what Ford's role will encompass.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #862
Face_Palm
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
True.

But there's a large spectrum of what "stars" covers, from a full out Ford-only movie like the first 4 (minus the beginning of Crusade) to Ford bookending a story set in the 30's with a younger actor playing Indy.

Until a script is set and filming begins we won't really know what Ford's role will encompass.

If he is starring in the role, he wouldn’t be just bookending it. Plus Spielberg confirmed Ford will have action scenes and stunts in the film.
Face_Palm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #863
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Palm
If he is starring in the role, he wouldn’t be just bookending it. Plus Spielberg confirmed Ford will have action scenes and stunts in the film.
Ford "starred" in Blade Runner 2049 but didn't exactly have a lot of screen time.

And having stunts and action scenes doesn't rule out bookending. The River Phoenix-Harrison Ford transition happened in an action scene.

Point is, we don't know what its going to be. Anyone claiming they do is blinded by their viewpoint (either pro- or anti- Ford carrying the whole movie).
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #864
Toht's Arm
IndyFan

They certainly could do some digital touch-ups on Ford if they wished. It's become more and more common. I know VFX artists who've had to remove pimples, take flabby bits off buff actors and even make larger actors skinnier.

There was an entire VFX team whose job it was to remove acne from the Harry Potter actors' faces.

So if we're talking about removing some wrinkles or tightening up some jowls, it's certainly possible. I can't imagine Ford would like it, but then again he might have no say in that sort of thing...
Toht's Arm is offline   Reply With Quote