Kingdom #1 on Total Film 50 most disappointing list

kongisking

KOTCS, the most disappointing movie of all time?

Well, that seals it, then. The majority opinion IS that it sucked. Let's all congratulate the haters. I'm sure they feel so proud that their opinion is vindicated... :rolleyes:

That was a remarkably Stoo-esque comment, wasn't it? Yikes. :eek:

Dr.Jonesy

Dr. Gonzo said:
The Dark Knight Rises was great? :confused:

Heck yes. If you didn't think so that's fine, for me it was great. Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as I did.
:(

kongisking said:
KOTCS, the most disappointing movie of all time?

Well, that seals it, then. The majority opinion IS that it sucked. Let's all congratulate the haters. I'm sure they feel so proud that their opinion is vindicated... :rolleyes:

The sarcasm is strong with this one...

:p

kongisking said:
That was a remarkably Stoo-esque comment, wasn't it? Yikes. :eek:

What is it with him lately? He's followed me into threads calling me a 'wimp' and jumping on me about being a 'fanboy' or ignorant/naive. I don't know if I rubbed him the wrong way or...? Is it because I'm a fan of Chris Nolan's Batman series?
:D

Last edited:

ErichPryde

Huh. Not one to really pay attentions to lists like this, but I really liked KotCS. Like many of the fans of Dr. Jones here on this site, I would have rated it above ToD and on some days, it ties LC for me.

Anyway, hi everybody!

JP Jones

ErichPryde said:
Huh. Not one to really pay attentions to lists like this, but I really liked KotCS. Like many of the fans of Dr. Jones here on this site, I would have rated it above ToD and on some days, it ties LC for me.

Anyway, hi everybody!
"Huh" is right, and that's all I have to say on the subject.

stupid list... :(

kongisking said:
Let's all congratulate the haters. I'm sure they feel so proud that their opinion is vindicated... :rolleyes:
Do you ever reply with considered, well thought out reasons to the contrary? Do you even try to provide anything beyond over emotional, overwrought opinion?
kongisking said:
The majority opinion IS that it sucked.
You're right, that IS the majority opinion, and as a sequel to Raiders a classic film with an overwhelming majority approval its not surprising to see and hear.

You're so moved to deride and simply label "haters" I'd love to read something substantial from you. Obviously the film appeals to you but who would know why?
Rocket Surgeon said:
What's a fanboy?
Stoo said:
This is a burning question that I've always wanted to solve...
Well I wondered what might inspire someone to coin a word when we already had "fan" which said volumes and was a nicely abbreviated form of "fanatic", but I think I hit on it.

Fanboy is an immature (nonreasoning) fanatic.

I mean a fanatic has his or her reasons and can likely enumerate them. :D

But I guess a fanboy sees no evil, hears no evil, and speaks no evil...I guess.

2334197374_3ef40a5539.jpg

Last edited:

Goodeknight

ErichPryde said:

Anyway, hi everybody!

IMO, one of the best things (only good things) about CS is that it bumped Temple of Doom out of the "worst Indiana Jones movie" category. It upped TOD to a beloved part of the original trilogy. CS isn't even in the running for third. Dead last, by a long shot, crushed by the rest, even TOD.

Now that that's out of the way -- Welcome to the Raven EP!!

Dr.Jonesy

goodeknight said:
IMO, one of the best things (only good things) about CS is that it bumped Temple of Doom out of the "worst Indiana Jones movie" category. It upped TOD to a beloved part of the original trilogy. CS isn't even in the running for third. Dead last, by a long shot, crushed by the rest, even TOD.

Now that that's out of the way -- Welcome to the Raven EP!!

Even if this were true, it shows that TOD was never great if it takes a lesser film to make it look good.

Lots of hyperbole in this post. All of it simply your opinion and while I do respect it, I do find it to be a tad exaggerated.
:hat:

Dr.Jonesy

ErichPryde said:

I agree; and for me 'Kingdom' takes the second place.

Rocket Surgeon said:
You're right, that IS the majority opinion, and as a sequel to Raiders a classic film with an overwhelming majority approval its not surprising to see and hear.

No disrespect Rocket, but I'm with Kong on this. It is NOT the majority opinion. I've supplied generous amounts to back that up on more than one occasion; from critical scores, user scores, sales figures, forum polls, etc...I've seen it all. It all stacks up in our arguments favor heavily. I'm siding with Kong.

And to be absolutely fair, comparing any of the sequels to 'Raiders' is instant death for them. They all pale to the impact and greatness that film achieved. That is how history views the sequels and will continue to view them.

Last edited:

Goodeknight

Dr.Jonesy said:

Lots of hyperbole in this post. All of it simply your opinion and while I do respect it, I do find it to be a tad exaggerated.

Maybe a bit of hyperbole, Jonesy. "Lots" would be something like...CS stunk so bad I can still smell its stench even with its ratings sunk deep in the space between spaces. In fact, it sucked so bad, the vacuum created the space between spaces. It was so disappointing, it should hold the "#1 Prime" spot on this list, so it could never be bumped. If Plato saw it, he'd agree that it's the ideal form of a disappointing movie. It had everything going for it, but it fell flat everywhere, and then assaulted and insulted viewers and fans by heaping on a bunch of extra bad junk (like aliens and bad hair) to make it even worse! Crystal Skull isn't just the Jar Jar of Indy movies, it's Jar Jar's ugly, redheaded stepchild of the series.

Now that would be "lots" of hyperbole...

Dr. Gonzo

Dr.Jonesy said:
It is NOT the majority opinion. I've supplied generous amounts to back that up on more than one occasion; from critical scores, user scores, sales figures, forum polls, etc...I've seen it all. It all stacks up in our arguments favor heavily.

Sales figures have nothing to do with how a film was received. You are implying that because I paid to see it that at the end of the film I must have walked out loving it and that's not the case. I paid to see it. How can I know if I liked it without even seeing it? People went to see it. The fact that people went to see what it was about does not mean they left happy.
It was a sequel to one of the most legendary film sagas in history... of course people were going to see it. Hell I remember the rumblings of it being a disaster before I saw it and thinking, "Well, I'll have to see it for myself." People like to decide for themselves.
I heard Prometheus was dog ****, but ya know what? I went to see it anyway, to see for myself. To make my own opinion. That film got pretty good box office. Does that mean it's a good film? No... that's up to the viewer.

Your "sales figures" argument is not valid.

Because a movie makes pretty good box office sales means it is a great film and every one loved it? :confused:

Not the case.

Dr.Jonesy said:
-Cannes Film Festival = Standing Ovation

Where did you get that?

Here's what the Associated Press reported:

Originaly posted by The Associated Press:

?Indiana Jones? debut survives Cannes critics

Film receives more applause at outset than at the end of the movie

5/18/2008 5:00:21 PM ET

CANNES, France ? Indiana Jones received louder applause going in than he did coming out.

His latest adventure, ?Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,? earned a respectful ? though far from glowing ? reception Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival
, avoiding the sort of thrashing the event?s harsh critics gave to ?The Da Vinci Code? two years ago.

Yet Indy?s fourth big-screen romp is not likely to go down as one of the most memorable. Some viewers at its first press screening loved it, some called it slick and enjoyable though formulaic, some said it was not worth the 19-year wait since Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Harrison Ford made the last film.

?They should have left well enough alone,? said J. Sperling Reich, who writes for FilmStew.com. ?It really looked like they were going through the motions. It really looked like no one had their heart in it.?

Alain Spira of French magazine Paris Match found ?Crystal Skull? a perfectly acceptable ?Indiana Jones? tale, a sentiment echoed by the solid applause the movie received as the final credits rolled.

Slideshow: Cannes Film Festival ?It?s good. It?s a product that is polished, industrial, we?re not getting ripped off in terms of quality,? Spira said. ?You know what you?re going to see, you see what you get, and when you leave you?re happy.?

The applause was louder at the outset, though. Fans at the early afternoon showing, which preceded the film?s glitzy formal premiere with cast and crew Sunday night, cheered and clapped wildly at an announcement that the screening was about to start. Some even hummed the Indiana Jones fanfare as the lights went down.

The applause at the end was more subdued.

Cast and crew were unconcerned about how critics might dissect the film.

?I?m not afraid at all. I expect to have the whip turned on me,? Ford told reporters after the screening. ?It?s not unusual for something that is popular to be disdained by some people, and I fully expect it.

But, he said: ?I work for the people who pay to get in. They are my customers, and my focus is on providing the best experience I can for those people.?

Catcalls avoided
The filmmakers kept the movie shrouded in secrecy, skipping the rounds of press screenings often held for big studio movies and going for a big blowout at Cannes.

Spielberg said he and his collaborators decided ?that the fair thing to do and the fun thing to do would be to view it where the entire world is come together every year at this wonderful festival, and we thought that was the best place to introduce Indiana Jones to you again after 19 years.?

There were a few titters from the ?Crystal Skull? crowd early on over co-star Cate Blanchett?s thick, Boris-and-Natasha accent as a Soviet operative racing against Indy to find an artifact of immeasurable power. The rather corny romantic ending also drew a chuckle or two.

In between, the film packed a fair amount of action, though some viewers found the middle portion dull. Conchita Casanovas, of Spain?s RNE radio, said she was ?bored to death.?

The new movie hurls archaeologist Jones into the Cold War in 1957. He survives a nuclear blast in the desert in typically creative fashion and is reunited with ?Raiders? flame Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen).

Alien connection
As speculated, the film has an alien connection, though far more subdued than the ?Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men From Mars? story Lucas once envisioned.

There are melancholy nods to Sean Connery, who played Indy?s dad in 1989?s ?Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade? but declined to return for the new movie, and the late Denholm Elliott, Indy?s college dean in two of the previous movies.

And the film reveals the relationship between Indy and his new sidekick, an angry young motorcycle rebel played by Shia LaBeouf.

As with ?Da Vinci Code,? which went on to gross $758 million worldwide, ?Crystal Skull? is so hotly anticipated that it will be virtually immune from critics? opinions. The film is expected to put up blockbuster box-office numbers when it opens globally Thursday.

?The movie was absolutely effective enough to score with audiences everywhere,? said Anne Thompson, deputy editor of Hollywood trade paper Variety. ?This played way better than ?Da Vinci Code.? No one was gunning for it. They were excited going in, hooting for it in a positive way.?

Dozens of fans prowled outside the Palais, the Cannes headquarters, holding signs saying they needed tickets for ?Crystal Skull.?

Amelia Sims, a 19-year-old University of Georgia student studying abroad, held a sign reading ?I (heart) Indy.? She managed to get a pass to the press screening and loved the movie.

?I guess I?ve been waiting 19 years for this,? Sims said. ?You could say I?ve been waiting my whole life.?

But Christian Monggaard, who is reviewing ?Crystal Skull? for Danish newspaper Information, said he grew up with the ?Indiana Jones? films and came away from this one disappointed, finding the climax an ?overblown special-effects extravaganza.?

?Talk about a woman scorned,? Monggaard said. ?A fan scorned is even worse.?

Dr.Jonesy

Pale Horse said:
DVD sales, now that's different...

Thank you, that's the sales I was referring to.

Look guys, you can cherry pick things to invalidate. In the end, it is not the majority opinion. Not even close. I'm sorry, but it is not. Even the guys on the IndyCast and SequelCast have said the exact same things I have, despite the IndyCast host being not too glowing towards it. I've done threads and provided heaps of things to show what the majority opinion is and I'm not the only one who knows this. I'm not trying to be a pest or what have you.

A film where the "majority opinion is heavily in favor of it sucking" would not be able to have such great scores, reviews, DVD sales, accumulated scores, polls, etc...

I find it hilarious that you guys can argue this. Even the majority opinion at TheRaven was heavily positive during the peak of activity when the film came out and polls taken following.

I'm done arguing this.

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
DVD sales, now that's different...

Although for the longest time I did see a surplus of "Kingdom" DVD'S and Blu-ray's in the 3.99 bin at Target... and everywhere else.
So... theres that.

Dr.Jonesy said:
I'm done arguing this.

You don't have to argue it. :hat:

Dr.Jonesy

Dr. Gonzo said:
Although for the longest time I did see a surplus of "Kingdom" DVD'S and Blu-ray's in the 3.99 bin at Target... and everywhere else.
So... theres that.

I guess we all have different experiences in our parts of the world. I visited 4 states in 2009 and 'Kingdom' usually had one or two copies left. The Blu-Rays went quick. And if I was over at someone's home I could always see KOTCS sitting right next to TLC, which was cool.

Dr. Gonzo said:
You don't have to argue it. :hat:

I know, Gonzo. But for some reason I decide to sometimes because it bothers me when my fellow fans have that idea that isn't true. They can hate it all they want and I don't want to change how they feel, at all. But this whole 'majority thinks it sucks' notion is simply far from true and if I can show why it's not true, I'll do it.

Dr.Jonesy

What sucks is I'm on another forum trying to defend 'The Dark Knight Rises' from the same 'majority thinks it sucks, that includes fans, filmgoers and critics' argument that people all over the net are saying.

Aye yai yai...
:p