My Indy themed man cave

scott434

Hi, I'm a 41 year old Home designer. I saw "Raiders" when I was 10 years old while on a movie outing with my fellow cub scouts. Loved the films ever since. I have a small room in my shop I call the mancave. It's only 10X16 feet but it's large enough to have a small kitchen, table, 42" tv & wall room for cool Indy stuff. All the walls are barn wood and the ceiling is rusty tin. Before you look at my props, I do have some normal stuff that everyone else has like a Fedora, gun & belt. But I like to get other stuff that an Archeologist might have. Stuff Indy may have had or run across while working. My kitchen area is not finished yet, I'm waiting on my tile man. So here are my props & where I got them. I'm not too worried about my props being "movie accurate". They are more expensive and I think my props still give the effect of "Indiana Jones"

This Fedora came from Killer Hats and I got it cause it had a 3" brim. The gun & holster came from my great grandpa and the belt I got off Ebay for $10.00.
photo23_zps30f71799.jpg

This is a geologist/prospect hammer I got off Ebay that was hand forged by an old man who passed away. I love this thing.
photo4-5_zpsba6b485e.png

This is an authentic 1891 South America map & a 1940s gas mask from Russia. Both from ebay.
photo12-1_zps76ec3a9b.jpg

This lantern I got from my great grandpa. I bought the clapper board and film reels off of the internet.
photo22-1_zpsc089039f.jpg

This is a 1940s flashlite lantern that I rewired with a 5 volt power supply. It plugs into a 110v outlet but uses the original bulb. I will use this as accent lighting.
photo4-5_zpsc796898a.jpg

Dog tags? Yea I thought Indy may have had some so I had some made with his name. It's a small yet visual addition to my collection.
photo2-8_zps60e1cc14.jpg

Just thought this canteen would look cool.
photo1-6_zps2ec973c1.png

I made this skeleton myself. It mostly made from old newspapers, wire, duct tape, and womens pantyhose!
photo52_zps4cb57ea3.jpg

I found these hand forged arrowheads online. They look very close to the ones on "Raiders". I will mount them on the round wood dowel here and let them sit outside to rust. They should look pretty cool when done.
IMG_0226_zpsd55f80ff.jpg

Got this media admission ticket off of ebay. It's supposed to be authentic from 1981. I'm not sure but it looks like it's not a repro.
photo3-5_zpsead712dc.jpg

Just my entry door.
door_zps1d87e493.jpg

When I finish the countertops and get everything setup, I will post another video but this is one just for now.

http://s56.beta.photobucket.com/user/scottlafleur/media/MyMovie_zpsa04a64da.mp4.html

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Nice indeed. :hat:

Saw something that is easily changeable because it's written in chalk if you want to be accurate...

On the film clapboard change the year written from 1981 to 1980 as that is when the actual filming was occurring. The film was released in '81.
And the production company was Lucasfilm LTD.

I need myself a cave.

Goodeknight

GREAT CAVE!! Nicely done, Scott. My favorite type of Indy room is the kind that references Indy without trying to be a museum with exact copies of everything Indy related, or filled with every piece of Indy merchandise/memorabilia you can get your hands on. Canteens, lanterns, gas masks, skeletons, antique maps, arrows, film reels, etc. Awesome. (And don't forget, Indy do a stint in Hollywood according to YIJC, so even the reels are Indy accurate.)

I absolutely love that hand forged pick. That's a piece of utilitarian art.

Looks like a Smith and Wesson. Am I right? Got a good pic of that? And is that an antique Boy Scout canteen?

Great use of barn wood and rusty tin. I really like the look of the Indy poster framed in old wood.

And finally -- Welcome to the Raven.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
goodeknight said:
GREAT CAVE!! Nicely done, Scott. My favorite type of Indy room is the kind that references Indy without trying to be a museum with exact copies of everything Indy related, or filled with every piece of Indy merchandise/memorabilia you can get your hands on. Canteens, lanterns, gas masks, skeletons, antique maps, arrows, film reels, etc. Awesome.

Ditto. It's a very excessible way of presenting a collection. Sometimes it's quality not quantity. Classy.

scott434

Thanks for the kind comments. Yea I would love to have a huge collection but it's way too much for the space I have and I don't have an unlimited budget! I still plan on getting a few more props but I don't want to overdo it. It's only 10x16 & it's not just an "Indy" room. We go cook in there & watch football games & movies to. I love Coca cola stuff and old stuff in general. I just wanted a place to surround myself with things I love. Indiana Jones films just happen to be one of them. If I get toooo involved with buying every prop I can find, I think my wife will start looking at me funny! Haha. My 6 year old boy loves it however. I'll never forget the times we share watching Indy films together. We actually watched Indy 4 yesterday. He fell asleep!

The gun has US arms on it. I don't know how old it is. Only that it came from my great grandfather.
The lanterns has "Monarch" and "Dietz" on it. It is an old gas lantern from my family. I don't know much else. Here are some pics.

IMG_0229_zps52fa5171.jpg

IMG_0230_zps22bd8f5a.jpg

IMG_0231_zps56b4eb3e.jpg

IMG_0232_zps63346142.jpg

IMG_0233_zpsb4750658.jpg

Gear

scott434 said:
I just wanted a place to surround myself with things I love. Indiana Jones films just happen to be one of them.

There ya go.
That's really the point of having 'things'. If they make you happy, you honor 'em. Classy. :hat:

scott434 said:
My 6 year old boy loves it however. I'll never forget the times we share watching Indy films together.

He won't, either.

Sappy stuff aside, killer man cave. I dig the construction aspect, I've done some lumber reclamation work before and the older stuff is really good quality. Too good to be wasted. Here in the PNW, most of our current high quality lumber is exported over seas. Cool to see you repurposing, scott434.

Last edited: