Predators

Exulted Unicron

I think they've pretty much smashed all the previous reports and rumours that Arnie was returning to play Dutch Schaeffer in the new film. Maybe it would have been interesting to see him lead a new band of mercs for one last mission. But then again, alot of people would see it as being too similar to the first movie

Mr Jones

This Movie looks Awesome!
I cant wait for It to come out :D
The Predator Movies have Always been Good and its good to Here that theres Finnaly a Sequel :)

AndyLGR

I went to see Predators last night. Its got an unashamed similarity to the original movie. So many similar elements and characters appear in this new one. Its almost as if the director is paying homage to the original and this movie is like a sequel to the Arnie film. Using snippets of the score from the original helps to set the familiarity too.

The effects are very old school like the original and as the title suggests there is more than one Predator, (is it me or is the cooliest looking alien ever)?

Obviously the basic premise is that they are hunting the humans, but theres a little twist within the Predator species that we havent seen before.

My only gripe is we could have seen more of the other things they drop into the jungle. Don;t get me wrong, this movie breaks no new ground, but overall I got what I expected from the film. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Much much better for me than the AVP movies and also Predator 2.

Last edited:

Cole

I assume the title "Predators" is inspired by the title for Cameron's sequel, "Aliens."

I assume they don't call it "Predator 3" or something as a way of making it seem like more of a direct sequel to the famous, well-known Schwarzenneger film as opposed to the connection with the lesser Predator 2 or AvP movies. Kind of like how with the Halloween series, they stopped numbering them and they became Halloween H20 and Halloween Resurrection.

It gets to be too much, too convoluted. They milk everything they can.

But I do like the original Schwarzenegger film and I do like Robert Rodriguez, so it might be solid entertainment....guess I'm guilty as anyone.

AndyLGR

Cole said:
But I do like the original Schwarzenegger film and I do like Robert Rodriguez, so it might be solid entertainment....guess I'm guilty as anyone.

I went in to it hoping for something close to the original, something to take the series away from the last 2 movies with the Aliens, which frankly aren't great films. And thats what I thought the movie delivers.

Matt deMille

This *is* a sequel to the original Predator, and that's it. It ignores all other so-called "Predator films". And good for that. As far as I'm concerned, P2, AVP and AVP2 simply do not exist.

Now, if only someone could do this with Highlander . . .

adventure_al

Well worthy of a watch. Good entertainment. Saw this at the cinema recently and while it has its flaws I have to say I enjoyed it.

Bjorn Heimdall

I was not impressed by this film, it's not bad, but it's not very good either, only so-so. I sort of thought I was going to see a horror film, it is put in the horror genre but there is hardly any horror in it. Couple of decapitations and some mildly brutal killings but it felt really tame in that area. I haven't seen P2 in years but I was pleasantly surprised by it when I saw it, after the negative reviews. Both parts 1 and 2 are much more bloody and gory if I remember them correctly. Or maybe it's just a case of seeing too many films of this kind.

The main problem with this film is the characters. I really couldn't give a rats bum if any of these people made it through the film or not. Most of them seemed to deserve being flown to a distant planet and hunted by Predators. And the rest were just flat and uninteresting.

I thought it was funny how Grace's character could identify an extremely poisonous plant... on a different planet. Seemed rather far fetched.

On the positve side there were some cool fights in the film, but it being "a true sequel to Predator" is bullocks, it's just a sequel, like Pretator 2. Nowhere near the cursed crapfest AVP but still lacking something extra to put it above movies in this genre.

Montana Smith

AndyLGR said:
Has Predator ever been regarded as a horror film? I always thought of it as sci-fi.

I would class Predator and Predator 2 as adult-oriented science fiction, with elements of horror.

Alien, on the other hand, was more of a horror film based in a science fiction setting.

Putting movies into genres is often difficult, as they cross defined boundaries.

With Predator the emphasis was really SF action-adventure.

With Alien the emphasis was on SF horror, with a greater build-up of suspense.

Aliens went over into SF action-adventure.

Alien 3 went back to SF horror.

Alien Resurrection and all the cross-over Aliens and Predators now reside more in the SF action adventure camp.

oki9Sedo

Saw Predators last week.

I think it was just okay. It had a strong premise which allowed for a good mix of different types of characters, and having Adrien Brody as the lead was an unconventional casting choice that worked very well, I think.

That said, its very by-the-numbers. While its entertaining, its not nearly unique or memorable enough to be regarded in the same vein as the original 1987 film.

Just to add to the discussion above, I regard Predator as an action film first, sci-fi second, horror third.

Matt deMille

oki9Sedo said:
Saw Predators last week.

I think it was just okay. It had a strong premise which allowed for a good mix of different types of characters, and having Adrien Brody as the lead was an unconventional casting choice that worked very well, I think.

That said, its very by-the-numbers. While its entertaining, its not nearly unique or memorable enough to be regarded in the same vein as the original 1987 film.

Just to add to the discussion above, I regard Predator as an action film first, sci-fi second, horror third.

Hmmm, I'm disappointed. Haven't seen it yet, but you sound like you know how to truly rate and value movies, and if you say "Predators" is mediocre, I'll go in with low expectations. Bummer.

Yeah, to me as well, "Predator" is action first, then sci-fi, then horror.

Ironclaw

Saw Predators last night. It was not 'bad"...probably 6 or 7 out of 10. It felt like one of those films where they didn't seem to take any risks at all. It plays like an EU novel more than a true sequel to the first film.

My likes:
1) The casting was decent, there were no really out of place characters.
2) Isn't too long to bore the viewer to death.
3) Very tight combat scenes (although in the more realistic/visceral sense as opposed to the over the top quality of the first one)

My gripes:
1) Laurence Fishburne's cameo was unnecessary. It could have been anyone in that role and they played it up more than they should have in the trailers
2) The characters figure out everything too quickly: where they are, what's hunting them, and why. There aren't any slower moments where they have to decipher what's going on. It cuts a considerable amount of time where they can establish their characters more and work on building tension.
3) I didn't like the ending. I couldn't say whether it was a true cliffhanger or not, it just seemed like it ended a "chapter" too early.

Would I watch again? For free, yes, just wouldn't pay $9 again knowing what I would be going into.

Still better than the AVP movies. Although on further thought, Predator 2 still seems like more of the true sequel than Predators does. At least P2 tried to expand the mythos and move in a new direction, even though it felt too much like a cliched 80's cop movie.

Matt deMille

Pleasantly surprised

Saw this yesterday, and liked it a lot. Now, the original "Predator" is one of my five fave films of all time, so I have high standards. That said, I do not consider P2, AVP or AVPR to even exist. I won't even spell their titles.

But "Predators" . . . is good. Not as good as the original, but then, neither are the sequels (and prequel) to "Raiders", but we love 'em anyway. I'll try to explain why "Predators" is good without giving spoilers.

Pros: Intense. R-rating. It's about the hunt. It's not the cartoony P's the other so-called sequels offered. The characters are an interesting group. Each one offers something both to the group and to the audience. It's good theater. There is a good deal of suspenseful buildup, interesting twists and surprises, and a lot of homage to the original. And, very little CGI. Mostly practical locations and effects. Its low budget (40 million) I take as a blessing.

Cons: I agree with those who say it ended a little early. I could have used another Act, but the lack of one doesn't hurt the film. Just leaves it open for sequels (which I hope don't take another 23 years). There's also the temptation to think "this is taking too many scenes from the original", but when watching it, bear this in mind: It's a fan-film, almost an apology for the other three so-called sequels. It's an homage to the original. Not a reboot, not a remake, but more of a "let's get this series back on track" sort of thing. In that context, the repeated use of details from the original fits in nicely. Just enjoy!

Interpretations: The title (plural predators) is BOTH an homage to "Aliens" as well as having a double-meaning, that our cast of monster chow, being all criminals, are themselves the "predators" of their own world. Minor spoiler: The Predators themselves don't get along too well either, like humans, so it's more like a free-for-all, a true "jungle" both physically and metaphorically. It's wonderful!

I, for one, will see it again, if time permits. A worthy sequel to the original, at last!:whip:

Willie

I liked both Predator movies. I think a third installment would be really good if it had a cameo by Arnold Schwarzenegger or even have Arnold be in the entire film. I think that would bring in a lot of viewers.

Matt deMille

Willie said:
I liked both Predator movies. I think a third installment would be really good if it had a cameo by Arnold Schwarzenegger or even have Arnold be in the entire film. I think that would bring in a lot of viewers.

They tried to get Arnold for a cameo in Predators, but he declined, for unknown reasons. Too bad.

I always felt that "Predator" was to Arnold what Indy seems to be to Lucas, a sort of bastard child he doesn't talk about, which is a shame because it's the best! Arnold focuses on Terminator, and Lucas on Star Wars, and they both seem to willfully overlook their truly best works, Predator and Indy, respectfully.

Montana Smith

Saw this last night. Thought it was a really disappointing movie. Just didn't seem to be enough in it.

The quote on the front of the box by Time Out read: "Finally, the sequel the original deserves."

I much preferred Predator 2, which no longer appears to exist in the continuity of Predators.

This seemed like a very forced re-run of the orignal. As somebody else wrote, there could have been more shown of the other prey dropped into the jungle.

Nevertheless, the DVD stays in the collection. It's part of the Alien/Predator collection!