Will you see Indiana Jones in IMAX/AMC Marathon?

As an Indiana Jones fan...I will;

• Go see 'Raiders' in IMAX, skip the AMC Four-Film Marathon!

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Go see the AMC Four Film Marathon, skip 'Raiders' in IMAX!

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Go see both IMAX and AMC Showings. "Shut up and take my money!"

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I will not be attending either IMAX or AMC's Marathon.

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Goodeknight

Disappointing Turnout

Well, I showed up an hour early Friday night (7:30) so I could get a good spot in the queue. We were the only ones in line. When the 4:30 showing let out, about a dozen and a half people trickled out. For the Friday night prime showing, I counted about 30 people there. (n)

According to BoxOfficeMojo, "The Steven Spielberg classic grossed an estimated $1.73 million, which translates to a $6,461 per-theater average. That's a little underwhelming (Titanic 3D had essentially the same opening average in 10 times as many locations), but it shouldn't be entirely surprising considering there wasn't any significant marketing push."
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3522&p=s.htm

I am glad that I only wore regular clothes and my fedora, not full gear. That would have been...odd.

Now I'm wondering if there will be a good turnout for the marathon or not. It's a one-day deal, not all week. But it's also 25 bucks and a full day commitment. I guess we shall see.

Crack that whip

I do expect a bigger turnout for the marathon than for any one showing of Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX, both because the Raiders-in-IMAX audience has multiple showings across a full week to spread itself over while the marathon is a one-time thing, because the marathon offers arguably greater value (4 movies plus a lanyard and poster and $5 Stubs bucks for $25, vs. 1 movie at around $9 to $15), and because the marathon itself includes Raiders (albeit not in IMAX) while also offering three movies not being shown Indyvidually.

Dr.Jonesy

Marathon at my AMC theater is almost sold out! Gonna be a packed theater where I'm at.
:whip:

Feel the Indy-Pride!
:p

Last edited:

Crack that whip

Dr.Jonesy said:
Marathon at my AMC theater is almost sold out! Gonna be a packed theater where I'm at.

Feel the Indy-Pride!

Glad to hear it! (y)

_________________​

I just got back from my eighth and final viewing of Raiders of the Lost Ark in its IMAX release, and noticed the theater employees were getting ready for the marathon; I saw some of the materials and got some other information. In case anyone here is still on the fence about whether to go or not (heathens!) and letting the decision rest on the goodies, here's what I know:

First of all, the free poster is not simply the IMAX Raiders mini-poster (though at least at mine, they still have enough left of those that I imagine most or all marathon attendees will be able to get one of those, too). They had the marathon posters out and were rolling them up and putting rubber bands on them, apparently to be handed out one at a time (I plan to bring a poster tube to put mine in immediately). These are larger posters, about the size of one-sheets (27x40) - I'm not sure if they are in fact that exact size, but they're comparable - and the artwork is the cover art for the Blu-ray release (with the classic Amsel Raiders reissue illustration's central figure of Indy, surrounded by new art of most of the important supporting characters). There's very little text - no credits or anything like that to speak of, just the classic Indiana Jones logo emblazoned across the image.

Secondly, the tag on the lanyard is a cut-out image of the Chachapoyan fertility idol on the front, with the marathon info on the back.

And finally, before / between the movies, there will be trivia questions! They did this at the Avengers marathon I attended back in May, and it worked like this. During some of the breaks, shortly before the next movie began, a couple theater employees would come into the auditorium and ask (fairly basic) trivia questions, and then call on one of the many attendees who shot their hands up to answer; if they had the correct answers (which the first respondents almost always did - as noted, the questions were pretty easy), they'd be awarded some merchandise - generally Avengers collectibles of negligible value but nifty all the same, but at least one or two winners simply got free food from the theater - (a prize that probably doesn't sound particularly exciting right now, though I can report that after several hours of sitting on our collective butts in the theater, the people who got the food were actually pretty jazzed about it, and many other patrons made exclamations of envy :p ). IIRC, the swag included Avengers movie posters, Captain America dog tags, actual Avengers comics, etc.

I don't know how many Indy freebies will actually be given out or what they'll be, but at least the opportunity is there for a few of us to get a little more than just what's already been promised.

Dr.Jonesy

I really appreciate the info! Thanks.
:hat:

I'm just happy as can be about going. I really hope this isn't going to be the last time I can go to an Indy Marathon.

Crack that whip

I just posted this on another board I frequent, but it really belongs here... ;)

My girlfriend and I just got back from a great time at AMC's marathon. I must say, I was surprised again at the audience reaction; the one pretty much everyone agrees is the undisputed classic in the series, Raiders of the Lost Ark, actually got the weakest, least enthusiastic response out of the four. I don't know why, though I'm inclined to think either a) it's simply the one most people have seen the most already and hence are less likely to give "fresh" responses to; b) it was the one with the least impressive presentation (it didn't look or sound as good in the marathon as it did in IMAX; apparently the work done for the IMAX presentation really benefited it); or c) it just took the audience a while to "warm up," as it were (similarly, the first Iron Man movie got the weakest response out of all six movies in the Avengers marathon here back in May, even though it's generally regarded as better than at least a couple of the movies that followed).

That said, it was still wonderful to see all four back-to-back together on the big screen. I have to say that, while I've been an defender / apologist for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull anyway, even I was surprised at how well-received it was. There didn't appear to any (certainly not many) people skipping out early to miss it, as I'd seen people comment about doing, and the audience appeared to enjoy it about as much as the two before, laughing at the jokes and applauding at the end. Similarly, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom really surprised me with the audience response, getting more lively reactions than Raiders had, from right off the bat in the Club Obi Wan and continuing through much of the movie. The responses did seem to die down a bit once it got to the darker stuff in the temple, though, and stayed that way until around the time Indy and his companions got out of the mines, but picked up in the end.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade both looked great, BTW - better than I remember them looking in their original runs, and better than a lot of brand-new, current releases. Crystal Skull looked about as good as ever, though of course its original photography suffers from the replacement of Douglas Slocombe with Janusz Kaminski. It was a bit disappointing that Raiders didn't look quite as good as it did in IMAX, but it still looked quite good and it was a treat to see, even after having seen it eight previous times since the 7th.

digitalfreaknyc

I dunno if I should post this here or in it's own thread. Between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull, the Times Square audience were treated to a Q&A with Karen Allen. I recorded the whole thing on my cell. Not sure how it turned out yet but hoping you'll all be able to enjoy it. ;)

Goodeknight

digitalfreaknyc said:
I dunno if I should post this here or in it's own thread. Between Last Crusade and Crystal Skull, the Times Square audience were treated to a Q&A with Karen Allen. I recorded the whole thing on my cell. Not sure how it turned out yet but hoping you'll all be able to enjoy it. ;)

SO jealous!! I went to the marathon in gear (hat, whip, shirt, pants, minus bag and jacket, just to keep it simple) Would have made for a great photo op.

How long did the Q&A last? I know you'll post the cell recording if it turned out, but howzabout some details?

digitalfreaknyc

goodeknight said:
SO jealous!! I went to the marathon in gear (hat, whip, shirt, pants, minus bag and jacket, just to keep it simple) Would have made for a great photo op.

How long did the Q&A last? I know you'll post the cell recording if it turned out, but howzabout some details?

already posted pics in another thread. :)

Goodeknight

So at my AMC tonight about 100 people showed up. Seemed 1/5 full or so. Disappointing, but a good group of lively fans. Crowded enough to be fun, without being shoulder to shoulder crammed in there.

I was surprised that both my son and I enjoyed watching TOD most of all. Not exactly sure why, but it was just the most fun. Perhaps it had a bit of something to do with my being in partial gear and his wearing a NY Giants/Yankees cap like Shorty's. :D

I'd say LC got the best reception overall. TOD did get a lot of laughs from the crowd, too. Only a handful of people bailed to avoid Crystal Skull, but it was generally well received as well. And though I'm generally a CS hater, I was happy to see it again on the big screen.

I did take part in one round of trivia. Knew the answers, but got beaten out by a guy with a fast draw for "raise your hand when you know the answer." All I lost was a comic book I already have.

With the partial gear I got a lot smiles, questions, comments, and compliments. A few people took photos. Oddly, it seemed to actually make a few people genuinely happy. I didn't expect that. Somehow it seemed to brighten their day.

A big benefit to wearing gear was that the kind folks at the theater let me walk away with the HUGE foamcore poster/standee for the marathon. It's about 6 feet tall and was a beast to get into the car.

Fabulous day.

Forbidden Eye

Crack that whip said:
I just posted this on another board I frequent, but it really belongs here... ;)

My girlfriend and I just got back from a great time at AMC's marathon. I must say, I was surprised again at the audience reaction; the one pretty much everyone agrees is the undisputed classic in the series, Raiders of the Lost Ark, actually got the weakest, least enthusiastic response out of the four. I don't know why, though I'm inclined to think either a) it's simply the one most people have seen the most already and hence are less likely to give "fresh" responses to; b) it was the one with the least impressive presentation (it didn't look or sound as good in the marathon as it did in IMAX; apparently the work done for the IMAX presentation really benefited it); or c) it just took the audience a while to "warm up," as it were (similarly, the first Iron Man movie got the weakest response out of all six movies in the Avengers marathon here back in May, even though it's generally regarded as better than at least a couple of the movies that followed).

That said, it was still wonderful to see all four back-to-back together on the big screen. I have to say that, while I've been an defender / apologist for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull anyway, even I was surprised at how well-received it was. There didn't appear to any (certainly not many) people skipping out early to miss it, as I'd seen people comment about doing, and the audience appeared to enjoy it about as much as the two before, laughing at the jokes and applauding at the end. Similarly, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom really surprised me with the audience response, getting more lively reactions than Raiders had, from right off the bat in the Club Obi Wan and continuing through much of the movie. The responses did seem to die down a bit once it got to the darker stuff in the temple, though, and stayed that way until around the time Indy and his companions got out of the mines, but picked up in the end.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade both looked great, BTW - better than I remember them looking in their original runs, and better than a lot of brand-new, current releases. Crystal Skull looked about as good as ever, though of course its original photography suffers from the replacement of Douglas Slocombe with Janusz Kaminski. It was a bit disappointing that Raiders didn't look quite as good as it did in IMAX, but it still looked quite good and it was a treat to see, even after having seen it eight previous times since the 7th.

I was unable to attend this even due to work commitments :)( ) but I just want to to say thank you for sharing that great insight Crack that whip! :whip:

Interesting to read both Temple of Doom and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull got a better reception than Raiders! I do think its because most us fans have seen Raiders more times than probably healthy ( ;) ) and since both TOD and KOTCS aren't as highly regarded by the general public, the audience probably just had lower expectations and ended up having a blast. That's actually a similar thing that happened to me: In rewatching the trilogy prior to the release of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, I found myself enjoying Temple of Doom the most of the three as I had seen it least of the three, thus it was the most fresh, almost like seeing it again for the first time. Also appreciated it didn't simply follow the "Raiders-formula" like Last Crusade did and that its only connection to the other movies was that Indy was in it. In fact, it was from that viewing where I slowly left the "Last Crusade is my 2nd favorite" crowd and joined the "Temple Of Doom is better" crowd. ;)

Thanks again for the post, and would love to read anyone else's experience!

Dr.Jonesy

Hey guys! Just got home after a 3 hour drive! Phew!

Anyway, to break it down...I left at 5AM to get there at 8:30. I was the 6th person in line and once 9:30 came around, that line was LONG! I talked to some nice people whilst waiting outside, tenured/very big fans. We talked about the Blu-Ray set, our favorite films, how we can't believe 'Kingdom' is already 4 years old, etc...Very cool people.

Once 10:30 rolled around...we had some technical difficulties. 'Raiders' would not play at all and we had to wait 45 mins for it to be remedied. The audience was very cool with it, at least. We just hung around and chatted. Met a group of 20-somethings who'd never seen any of the films so this was their first time seeing them ('Crusade' and 'Kingdom' ended up being their favorites). I think everyone I talked to had a different favorite of the series. Very cool to see. We had alot of time to mingle and I'm glad for that! It's not often I get to be in a room full of Indy fans.

Anyway, onto the films! It was a full house, over 250 people in my showing. Makes me happy to see, as a fan.

'Raiders of the Lost Ark' -

Looked amazing! Sounded great and I noticed some new things in many scenes that I had previously not noticed. As far as audience reactions goes, this film was rather dead compared to the other three. They were into it of course, but you didn't hear laughs at the jokes or cheering during the 'Indy Awesomeness' scenes that you heard in the following three films. But alas, at the end heavy applause and cheering followed! The film looked great and sounded great! The colors were so rich and the lighting was just amazing. Direction wise this film was never matched again in the series. The iconic shots were a real pleasure to see on the big screen.

'Temple of Doom' -

I gained a new appreciation for 'Temple of Doom' today. I mean really....it's still my least favorite but I still use the word 'favorite' in there for a reason. This film just looks stellar on the big screen and works so much better on there. The colors pop out and it just becomes such a colorful entity of entertainment. The sound was amazing on this one, too. Overall, this film thrived on the big screen. Audience reaction was very good, lots of laughs at the right moments and cheers when Indy kicked ass. The usual stuff. Applause at the end of this one, too!

'Last Crusade' -

The most color-palette muted of the four films popped out on the big screen just like 'Temple of Doom' did. Not much to say; looked amazing and sounded amazing. This film got endless heaps of laughs from the audience; it fared the best with the crowds today. Lots of applause at the end and cheers. This film just fares best with people. They were very into it and they love Indy/Henry as a comedic duo!

'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' -

What else can I say? The film looked just stellar. Like 'Temple of Doom', it thrives on the big screen as well. This film really is an assault on the senses in the best of ways. The sound was very in your face and crystal clear, as was the picture. Love the look of this film and it was great to see it again. Audience reaction was almost as good as 'Last Crusade', lots and lots of laughs at the right parts, cheers when Indy kicked ass and heavy applause at the end of the film.

Overall, I'd have to agree that for some reason 'Raiders' fared the least best with the audience. Not to say it did badly, but for some reason their reaction to that film was far more muted than for the other three films. Not really sure why, it's the best damned one of the series! I don't know why they weren't as enthused about it...but it's a shame!

Scenes that got the most laughs;

-Willie CampFire Scene.
-"The floor is on fire."
-Any scene joking about Indy/Henry sleeping with Elsa.
-Sandpit scene in 'Kingdom'.
-Marion/Indy's fights and Indy's reaction seeing her. "Same old, same old" got claps, too.
-Henry shooting their own plane.
-Marcus being lost.
-"That's all you better do..."
-Marion shoving the flowers at the Priest and kissing Indy.
-Indy observing the tank wreckage with his posse.
-"What're you like 80?"
-Heck, I'll just put any scene with Henry/Indy.

Scenes that got the most cheers/claps;
-Indy escaping the Hovitos.
-Indy retrieving his hat after kicking Dovchenko's ass.
-The minecart rolling up to Indy with the spotlight on him.
-The Grail healing Henry Sr.
-Indy making the "Leap of Faith".
-Indy climbing up the rope bridge stone in hand.
-Indy surviving the nuke.

That's all I can think of right now. I'm tired as all hell! But it was one of the few highlights of a very unpleasant year for me. I'm really glad to have had the ability to go. It was very exciting for me. I scored 2 Indy posters, 2 'Raiders' posters, and a few brochures for the Marathon. Not bad!

Dr.Jonesy

Crack that whip said:
Raiders of the Lost Ark, actually got the weakest, least enthusiastic response out of the four. I don't know why, though I'm inclined to think either a) it's simply the one most people have seen the most already and hence are less likely to give "fresh" responses to; b) it was the one with the least impressive presentation (it didn't look or sound as good in the marathon as it did in IMAX; apparently the work done for the IMAX presentation really benefited it); or c) it just took the audience a while to "warm up,"

Exactly, I experienced the exact same thing. I'm still confused by it but maybe you're right? Who knows. I also theorized that maybe it's because the other films are a bit quicker in pace, heavier on the action/over the top style that it's just a more exciting ride in a theater. Granted 'Raiders' is the fine meal and more rewarding, but the three sequels are easier to digest for people and perhaps a bit more thrilling to watch.

They need to get real, though. 'Raiders' is the best.

;)

Crack that whip said:
I have to say that, while I've been an defender / apologist for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull anyway, even I was surprised at how well-received it was. There didn't appear to any (certainly not many) people skipping out early to miss it, as I'd seen people comment about doing, and the audience appeared to enjoy it about as much as the two before, laughing at the jokes and applauding at the end.

I wasn't surprised. I've always maintained that most people liked/loved the film. I've quite often said that it's been a vocal minority of naysayers who make a big stink about things and I mean no disrespect to those that dislike it by saying that. I'm far from the first guy to put forth that notion either. I've put up heaps of evidence to support this notion as well.

But what's funny is that I'd been reading comments from some people on the internet since mid-August about how there's gonna be a "mass exodus following 'Last Crusade'!" and...from both my experience and others in other states that I've talked to (and from a few of you guys here), this "mass exodus" that was sure to happen...never occurred. And I knew it wouldn't happen anyways.

People cheered, laughed and smiled all the way through 'Kingdom' as they did with the previous films. And they clapped at the end just as much as they did for 'Crusade', as well. If this isn't an indicator about how the film is very positively seen and received/accepted by the majority of fans/masses, then what is?

Like I said, not surprised by the universal very positive reception of KOTCS during my marathon and other ones I've read about today because I know that most people did like this film and accept it as part of the series. The ones that don't are the ones who have been speaking louder on the internet. That's all it is. If the internet nay-sayers did represent even a fraction of the majority opinion, my theater and everyone else's would've been empty except for me and nobody would have cheered and clapped through the film. Same goes for 'Temple of Doom' and its reputation. There's a reason the 'mass exodus' never occurred.

Crack that whip said:
Similarly, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom really surprised me with the audience response, getting more lively reactions than Raiders had, from right off the bat in the Club Obi Wan and continuing through much of the movie. The responses did seem to die down a bit once it got to the darker stuff in the temple, though, and stayed that way until around the time Indy and his companions got out of the mines, but picked up in the end.

Yup, 'Temple' also fared awesomely! I think 'Temple' needs to shake off the bad reputation it has; most fans/people accept it as part of the series happily now. Made me very happy to see how well it did today. Not surprised, but still happy. And of course the darkness of the film was a bit of a buzz-kill for a bit but who didn't expect it to be??
Anyways, glad to hear everyone had a great time! September was a great time to be an Indy fan. Best time (for me) since all of 2008.

Last edited:

Dr.Jonesy

goodeknight said:
So at my AMC tonight about 100 people showed up. Seemed 1/5 full or so. Disappointing, but a good group of lively fans. Crowded enough to be fun, without being shoulder to shoulder crammed in there.

I was surprised that both my son and I enjoyed watching TOD most of all. Not exactly sure why, but it was just the most fun. Perhaps it had a bit of something to do with my being in partial gear and his wearing a NY Giants/Yankees cap like Shorty's. :D

I'd say LC got the best reception overall. TOD did get a lot of laughs from the crowd, too. Only a handful of people bailed to avoid Crystal Skull, but it was generally well received as well. And though I'm generally a CS hater, I was happy to see it again on the big screen.

I did take part in one round of trivia. Knew the answers, but got beaten out by a guy with a fast draw for "raise your hand when you know the answer." All I lost was a comic book I already have.

With the partial gear I got a lot smiles, questions, comments, and compliments. A few people took photos. Oddly, it seemed to actually make a few people genuinely happy. I didn't expect that. Somehow it seemed to brighten their day.

A big benefit to wearing gear was that the kind folks at the theater let me walk away with the HUGE foamcore poster/standee for the marathon. It's about 6 feet tall and was a beast to get into the car.

Fabulous day.

I give you props for sticking around for KOTCS and I'm glad you had a great time at the marathon. Congrats on your cardboard standee thing!

What was everyone's favorite/best moment during the Marathon?

Goodeknight

Dr.Jonesy said:

I give you props for sticking around for KOTCS and I'm glad you had a great time at the marathon. Congrats on your cardboard standee thing!

What was everyone's favorite/best moment during the Marathon?

Thanks, Jonesy. Like I said, LC got the best reception overall. The father/son scenes garnered the biggest laughs, like "So, what do you want to talk about?" on the zeppelin. The harsh look on Henry Sr.'s face is priceless. As someone else here mentioned, Short Round stole the show in TOD, and Willie got big laughs around the campfire and elsewhere. Mutt got some good laughs, too. Shorty shines in every scene.

While I've never been a CS fan, it's growing on me. That's happened with a number of movies. When I have extremely high expectations and they're let down, I hate the movie. Then when I watch it again as a hater, with extremely low expecations, I have a much better experience. Still don't care for the long string of one liners throughout CS, but a few of them do make me laugh like, "What are you, like, 80?" and "You're a professor?"..."Part time." My list of things I like about CS is growing, and it was good to see it again with a crowd that was into it.

Indy Jones

Dr.Jonesy said:
Yup, 'Temple' also fared awesomely! I think 'Temple' needs to shake off the bad reputation it has; most fans/people accept it as part of the series happily now. Made me very happy to see how well it did today. Not surprised, but still happy. And of course the darkness of the film was a bit of a buzz-kill for a bit but who didn't expect it to be??

I think it's that darkness that makes the action following Indy's awakening from the Black Sleep more satisfying. At my marathon the crowd was responding more enthusiastically to his badassery at the end of Temple more than the other three films!

And I'm also happy to report that at my marathon which was probably 75-80% full, only about 5 people left for KOTCS. Everyone else was as you fellows have reported... very satisfied and jazzed about it. There were some giggles during the swinging scene, I think because of its infamy and the fact that it is slightly overdone. But y'know what? It didn't faze people from throughly enjoying the rest of the movie.

So yeah. I now refuse to believe the hype about how "bad" or "hated" KOTCS is by other people. Just a few no-life nerds freaking out about it, IMO. A few people after the screening were chatting about it being slightly overdone but nobody truly complaining or unhappy with it. And everyone was talking about Indy 5 rumors!

Dr.Jonesy

goodeknight said:
Thanks, Jonesy. Like I said, LC got the best reception overall. The father/son scenes garnered the biggest laughs, like "So, what do you want to talk about?" on the zeppelin. The harsh look on Henry Sr.'s face is priceless. As someone else here mentioned, Short Round stole the show in TOD, and Willie got big laughs around the campfire and elsewhere. Mutt got some good laughs, too. Shorty shines in every scene.

While I've never been a CS fan, it's growing on me. That's happened with a number of movies. When I have extremely high expectations and they're let down, I hate the movie. Then when I watch it again as a hater, with extremely low expecations, I have a much better experience. Still don't care for the long string of one liners throughout CS, but a few of them do make me laugh like, "What are you, like, 80?" and "You're a professor?"..."Part time." My list of things I like about CS is growing, and it was good to see it again with a crowd that was into it.

Yeah, I never noticed just how funny people thought 'Last Crusade' was until yesterday. People ate that film up!

And I used to dislike the comedic aspect of 'Kingdom' but after watching it directly after 'Crusade'...I noticed how devoid of humor it actually was compared to its 1989 counterpart.

And if 'Kingdom' grows on you then that's awesome. If it doesn't, there's nothing wrong with that. It happens. But I will say it took awhile for me to appreciate 'Temple' as much as I do now.

But I hope for your sake it grows on you; everyone deserves to be able to appreciate another Indy film.

Indy Jones said:
I think it's that darkness that makes the action following Indy's awakening from the Black Sleep more satisfying. At my marathon the crowd was responding more enthusiastically to his badassery at the end of Temple more than the other three films!

And I'm also happy to report that at my marathon which was probably 75-80% full, only about 5 people left for KOTCS. Everyone else was as you fellows have reported... very satisfied and jazzed about it. There were some giggles during the swinging scene, I think because of its infamy and the fact that it is slightly overdone. But y'know what? It didn't faze people from throughly enjoying the rest of the movie.

So yeah. I now refuse to believe the hype about how "bad" or "hated" KOTCS is by other people. Just a few no-life nerds freaking out about it, IMO. A few people after the screening were chatting about it being slightly overdone but nobody truly complaining or unhappy with it. And everyone was talking about Indy 5 rumors!

It was a damned treat to see 'Temple' on the big screen. It was a highlight and as a guy that puts the film last in the series, you know I'm saying alot.

One couple left after 'Last Crusade' and that's it. I watched for it to happen and it didn't. Keep in mind that this was a sold out show of 260 seats or so. And the monkey scene isn't slightly overdone, it's HEAVILY overdone! :p I closed my eyes at that part but nobody else was phased.

And you're preaching to the choir about the 'bad hype' surrounding 'KOTCS' in some internet circles. I left the theater with zero doubt in my mind left about 'KOTCS's legacy with most fans/people. Some days on TheRaven I'd doubt it, but not anymore. This was the last straw I needed. The film is accepted and loved guys! As I've said for for years and others have said, it's a vocal minority.
But hey, don't blanket the fans here at TheRaven as 'no-life nerds', there's also a few great Indy fans that take issue with KOTCS or even TOD.

Last edited:

HenryJunior

The marathon yesterday was just spectacular, It was also the first time I've seen TOD and LC in the theater. I think I counted about seven Indy hats in my theater (including my own) and a few in full gear (somebody had a Adventurebilt that looked amazing). The theater was PACKED with families and hardcore fans alike.

Dr.Jonesy said:

Once 10:30 rolled around...we had some technical difficulties. 'Raiders' would not play at all and we had to wait 45 mins for it to be remedied.

Hmm, either AMC had trouble playing this marathon , or we may have been in the same theater Dr.Jonesy! It was weird, the projector flashed random blocks of colored static set to the first five minutes of audio from Raiders, LOL.

RAIDERS
After the long wait to fix it when the Paramount logo filled the screen, the Audience erupted in applause and I knew we were all excited to see the movie. The audience chuckled at most of the gags (there just isn't as strong of humour in Raiders but that's Ok.), and the audience applauded strongly at the end. After the IMAX screening I was bit numb to Raiders but it was still fun as always.

TOD
As soon as the Paramount logo hit the screen again, APPLAUSE
Despite the 'darkness' TOD has, it's a thrill ride that pumped up the audience. The crowd loved Shorty and was laughing all through the 'Nocturnal Activities' bit.
"Tell me later, what happen" (LAUGHTER)
After an unending rollercoaster the audience applauded strongly.

LC
As some others said this went over extremely well. Almost all of Sean Connery and Harrison Ford's back and forth lines gathered cheers of laughter and smatterings of applause. When they all rode off into the sunset, it received the strongest and best applause of the day.

I'd had tons of fun, but then watched as almost half the crowd left before KOTCS. In the breaks for the previous films my Dad and I had debated if we we're staying for Crystal Skull. I was very conflicted, this was the first time I'd seen LC in the theater and it felt like such a good ending to the marathon. After a lot of mental debate on how strong of a fan I am, I decided I would sit through the the final film.

KOTCS
When the LUCASFILM logo filled the screen first and not the Paramount logo, they're wasn't really any applause. There were a couple of good natured chuckles throughout film and some light appreciative applause at the end.

This viewing had been a little more satisfying than previous ones, but I'm still a little on the fence about it. It certainly isn't my favorite which gave the marathon a bit of a bummer ending, but I'm happy I didn't walk away from it (y)

4 Movies and nearly Ten hours later, the audience still loved INDY! :whip:

Dr.Jonesy

We had the exact same thing going on at our 'Raiders' screening! Blocks and colors. Someone yelled 'Lucas, now you've changed the Indy films too?!' Hilarious!
(y)

But people didn't applaud any of the films starting at all. The films actually started out of nowhere sometimes and some people weren't even back from the restroom yet.

But your audience applauded/laughed at different things from what I can tell.:hat: