Belloq Swallows a Bug

Stoo

During the canyon scene in "Raiders" it appears that
Belloq swallows an insect. Did it just fly away quickly
or did Paul Freeman continue acting after it crawled
into his mouth?

VP

Moderator Emeritus
I'm not an expert either, but maybe some bug was flying around and walking on Paul Freeman's face and the editing guys used those frames to create the joke.

Last edited:

intergamer

VP got it right. As a joke, the editing guys cut out a couple of frames where the bug flies away, so it looks like Belloq eats it.

Stoo

Indeed said:
Yeah, if I remember correctly it´s on the Bonus Materials on the DVD´s.

Hey, Indeed, welcome to The Raven! :whip:

Well, I checked the Bonus Materials DVD and can't find any mention
of it. Anyone know for sure which section it's featured in? If the
editing story is the case, then it's a job well done as Belloq's lips
are moving when the fly disappears. (Granted it's probably only a
couple of frames to cut).

Indeed

temple of john said:
I'm not sure what disc it is on but I know that I have also seen it. It may be on the extra 5th disc that Best Buy was giving out with purchase of the set.

Nope, can´t be. ´Cause I don´t have that extra fifth disc. I really think it was on the bonus material DVD, but I would have to check to be sure. I have seen it however. The bug landed on his lips, and flew away. But the editors edited it in such a way it looks like he ate it. I´m pretty sure about this.

Stoo

Canyon said:
Check out the interview we did two years ago for TIE, where Paul mentions the infamous fly. :D
Thanks a bunch, Canyon! The link you gave was a unfortunately a dud,
so here's the good one. :) It is a good interview and I encourage y'all
to read it.

http://www.theindyexperience.com/interviews/paul_freeman_interview.php

I'll check the 4th DVD again but I really couldn't find the bit.
(Too bad there is no audio commentary). Anyway, Freeman
seems like the perfect gentleman and his performance in
"Phantom Train of Doom" is superb!

No Ticket

Yup. Sorry to bring this thread back to life. But I was watching Raiders tonight and I only JUST noticed the bug thing. I had to go back and watch again. lol. How could I miss that?

ReggieSnake

I noticed the fly, though I never noticed the missing frames. I always thought the fly actually crawled into Paul Freeman's mouth!:D

Niteshade007

As did I. I didn't notice the fly though until someone pointed it out to me. I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention to that scene.

QBComics

Same as the rest I was just enjoying the movie. Never noticed it until I looked at Raiders of the Lost Ark trivia on TheRaiders.net