Ep. 8: Germany, Mid-August 1916

Matinee Idyll

Strange to think this is the same Indy who 6 months earlier had to be convinced by Nancy to spy on a German submarine. He grew up fast - and I think Sean played it really well... particularly that it was all shot out of sequence, must've been very difficult.

So here we are - Germany in 1916. Indy's a POW, having been captured at the Battle of the Somme. Where the previous episode had filmic references and touch points akin to All Quiet on the Western Front and Paths of Glory, this episode is pure Great Escape.

yij45.jpg

De Gaulle is a fantastically charismatic leader in this episode - the Russians are as crazy as to be expected. Great villains, great stunts, a real adventure film Indy would be proud of. I was freaking out when those coffins went into the incinerator, I can tell you!

I wonder though - What happened to Remy after the Somme? Was it ever explained how they would meet up again later? Or was the field hospital in Verdun their next meeting?

Shame they never filmed the 'Germany 1916' episode that sees Indy escaping the country - Ahh well.

vf wing

This is perhaps my favorite ending of any of the episodes. The train shots are very reminscent-- on purpose, I suspect-- of the Lumiere bros' film depicting an onrushing train that terrified 1895 viewers into thinking they were about to be run over by a real train!

But what really makes that ending for me is when he raises his arms in victory. You can really feel his excitement at having made good on his escape. It was the button to the scene I was holding out for when I first saw it, and cheered when it happened!

Stoo

Matinee Idyll said:
I wonder though - What happened to Remy after the Somme? Was it ever explained how they would meet up again later? Or was the field hospital in Verdun their next meeting?
Good question! Remy was wounded by mid-August 1916 so the suffering we see in "Verdun, September, 1916" would most likely be from the same injury.

Matinee Idyll said:
Shame they never filmed the 'Germany 1916' episode that sees Indy escaping the country - Ahh well.
Yeah, Young Indy in Berlin. I would have liked to have seen that.:(

vf wing said:
But what really makes that ending for me is when he raises his arms in victory. You can really feel his excitement at having made good on his escape. It was the button to the scene I was holding out for when I first saw it, and cheered when it happened!
Yes!(y) It is unique to the VHS/DVD because that shot faded into the Old Indy bookend during the original broadcast.