Young Indy Reference in KOTCS?

tupogirl

Crack that whip said:
I loved that as well. Just imagine if
Indy had gone on to tell him about all those other adventures from the show...

(of course, for that matter, Mutt's probably going to react the same way when Indy tells him about the Sankara stones, the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail - well, he might if not for their having done this Crystal Skull thing together, anyway...)

I so want to see that, lol.

I said it on another thread, but I am almost positive there's a direct quote from 'The Mata Hari Affair' by Spalko. So fitting too.

WeAreGoingToDie

I watched "Trenches of Hell" last night and found the scene in which Indy attempts an escape with the Russian prisoners doubly sad now that I know years later Indy has to fight soldiers of the very same country that he once helped.
But seriously, they should have listened to Indy, homemade rope cannot support two people! ;)

tupogirl

WeAreGoingToDie said:
But seriously, they should have listened to Indy, homemade rope cannot support two people! ;)

BWAHAHA! I went home thinking about that last night. It's so true.

Avilos

There is a whole a lot added subtext to the film knowing what we do from the TV show. That Indy was a spy not just in WWII, as the film reveals, but of course was also in WWI. All his various girlfriends. Him saying "There were a lot of Marys over the years"!

TalonCard

This is probably better than any of us had hoped for.
The scene could practically be a bookend for the episode. ;) And I loved how Mutt goes "You were kidnapped?" "Yeah, well, things weren't so great at home, so it all worked out." LOL! This movie is probably easier to watch if you're a YIJC fan--now that I've seen most of the episodes I wasn't going "wait, Indy's a spy?" and "what's with all the 50's references?" :D

TC

Twilightpro101

Avilos said:
There is a whole a lot added subtext to the film knowing what we do from the TV show. That Indy was a spy not just in WWII, as the film reveals, but of course was also in WWI. All his various girlfriends. Him saying "There were a lot of Marys over the years"!

Loved hearing all the subtext after all this time. Felt so great to hear nods to the series.

Adamwankenobi

Avilos said:
I was thinking the same thing! In fact when the DVD comes out someone should do a fan edit doing that.

I was thinking that as well. But we can't give Lucas any ideas! ;) He might try to pull a "Travels with Father"/"Winds of Change" style re-edit of KOTCS. :eek:

Last edited:

fommes

This reference was certainly a surprise, and it was nicely done in fact, as opposed to some of the other references in the film (to the previous films). Very entertaining.

Mr.MojoRisin

I loved it. Thought it was great to see some Young Indy stuff in there. I was hoping for more, like a picture or something, but hey. I'm happy. Plus it cannonizes Young Indy.

Avilos

blueoakleyz said:
Me neither. Very boring to me. Guess I have to watch it now though

Don't be ridiculous! If you don't like the show, that is your loss. Just because its referenced does not mean you are "forced" to watch it! :rolleyes:

Killah|Bee

LoL, i just think that young Indy its kinda, sooo different to the movies, no macguffins and weirdos stories, didn't like it that Indy know so many famous ppl its just kinda of exaggerated

DrHapgood

This caught me off-guard because it was more of a "Old Indy" reference that didn't hit me as a weird historical error for a while.

In Indy IV we see Indy flying in a Pan American plane.

Wasn't there a bookend where Old Indy was on a plane and he mentions to the guy he's telling the story to that he's flown this airline for 50 years?

But... Pan Am went bankrupt in '91 and Old Indy occurs around 92.

:confused:

Adamwankenobi

DrHapgood said:
In Indy IV we see Indy flying in a Pan American plane.

Wasn't there a bookend where Old Indy was on a plane and he mentions to the guy he's telling the story to that he's flown this airline for 50 years?

But... Pan Am went bankrupt in '91 and Old Indy occurs around 92.

:confused:

I'm sure that, as adventurer, he would have flown with several different airlines. ;)

The Tingler

Plus he's very old, he can't be expected to remember everything! ;)

Guess I have to watch it now though
Luckily for you, the episode in question - Spring Break Adventure - is one the best and most Indy film-like stories.

doesitmatter

That was the most surprising thing in the whole movie for me. I turned to my wife and went "That's, that's an episode."

I'm glad I got the dvds on sale now.