Young Indy Reference in KOTCS?

tupogirl

Crack that whip said:
You must not yet have seen Grease, then. ;)

That said, I'd rather see most of the bridging sequences removed and the Old Indy bookends restored. I honestly think they work better; in fact, I think that even if they don't work for all viewers on their own, they still make the rest of the show work better. But there are a few of the "movies" for which the linking material works well, though.

LOL I've seen Grease, lol. But that movie is full of delinquents! Of course they are still in high school, bwahaha.

Yes, some of the movies work well with the linking parts. Just not this one. But it's still wonderful.

Adamwankenobi

I saw KOTCS again today, and during the scene with Indy and Mutt at Indy's house, I think I spotted Indy's diary to the left of Indy on the coffee table. I'm not 100% sure though, so if anyone is planning to see the film again, you might want to check. ;)

Stoo

Adamwankenobi said:
I think I spotted Indy's diary to the left of Indy on the coffee table. I'm not 100% sure though,...
I saw a book (or 2) and thought the same thing but I think the cover(s) are flat.

The other thing I immediately thought of was the green car in Indy's driveway when The Dean is over.
When photos of the film shoot in Pasadena came out I was figuring that would be Indy's house because of the car.
I know it's not the same model as Old Indy's '52 Plymouth but the similarity cannot be ignored.

In any case, it could be Charlie's (and Indy's wheel are in the garage).

Stoo

Young Indy Reference Discovery?

There appears to be another nod to Young Indy in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"!(y)
Can you find it? (CLUE: It is, almost literally, a tip 'o the hat...)

Stoo

Jeremiah Jones said:
What? What is it stoo?
Here's another vague hint (2 of 3):
It's an object made from a substance that shares its name with a certain town in Ireland. (As in, under your avatar.).;)

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
a pithy comment
You are a master of wit, my friend. A true MASTER!:hat: (Let's allow some more time and another clue before the revelation...;) )
jtobin13 said:
I give up except for ponco villa scene?
One can't help but marvel at the fact that you were part of this scene. Kudos to you, jtobin!:whip:

A tip of the hat, an object made of Cork... possibly, don't think limerick or ballydehob come in as materials.

So what is made of Cork in KOTCS that relates to young Indy, tip of the hat.. hmmmm.

Well since I don't have a copy of the movie yet (living in England and all that)
I'm stumped..
Actually..

Ah ha, I get it.. Cork, hat, Pithy..

Yes, very pithy indeed. Nice.

Avilos

So if I am correctly translating these "clues" you can see young Indy's Pith Helmet???!!!????!!! ;) In Indy's house I would guess....

Nurhachi1991

tupogirl said:
LOL!!!!!!!! I have no idea. I love the music. I miss my Volume 1 album. I didn't realize I still knew that sequence by heart. *sigh* :)

You mean that western whistling tune??? They had that on an album I have been looking everwhere for that song!!!!!!!

Crack that whip

It's not on Volume one; I think tupogirl is talking about two different things, and just phrased it in a way that makes it look like she's talking about the Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal / Spring Break Adventure music being on the first CD.

The Indy Wiki has the tracklist here; no Mexico stuff, as you can see. :( I wish it were otherwise.

For some reason the Wiki doesn't yet have info on the other three volumes - I'll have to rectify that myself, I guess. In the meantime, though, for the record, these are all the episodes represented on the four officially-released volumes for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (note that they're not in any particular order on the CDs - all the music from a given episode is all together, but the episodes are mixed around in no particular order on the various CDs):

"Vienna, November 1908"
"British East Africa, September 1909"
"Peking, March 1910"
"Princeton, February 1916"
"Ireland, April 1916"
"London, May 1916"
"Verdun, September 1916"
"Paris, October 1916"
"Young Indiana Jones and the Phantom Train of Doom"
"German East Africa, December 1916"
"The Congo, January 1917"
"Barcelona, May 1917"
"Northern Italy, June 1918"
"Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues"
"Young Indiana Jones and the Scandal of 1920"

... plus two versions of the show's Main Title theme, which is the closest they get to having music from the Mexico segment (pretty close, though, actually, since there's that scene when Indy's on horseback chasing after the guy with the stolen dresses).

That said, Curt Sobel, the composer for the episode "Transylvania, January 1918," released a promo CD of his complete score for that episode, and there's also a 2-disc Laurence Rosenthal promo that has music from various projects of his, including Young Indy, and it does have some Young Indy music not available on the four volumes released by Varèse Sarabande, but not from that particular episode (Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Jackal), though that's one he did score.

Last edited:

Stoo

Jeremiah Jones said:
So what is made of Cork in KOTCS that relates to young Indy, tip of the hat.. hmmmm.

Well since I don't have a copy of the movie yet (living in England and all that)
I'm stumped..
Actually..

Ah ha, I get it.. Cork, hat, Pithy..

Yes, very pithy indeed. Nice.
Knew you'd get it!:cool: :whip:

Avilos said:
So if I am correctly translating these "clues" you can see young Indy's Pith Helmet???!!!????!!! In Indy's house I would guess....
Correct, Mr. Avilos! Not in his house so think of the next, logical place.;)
Whethere or not it verifiably is 1 of his 4 pith helmets is up for debate so I'll prepare a photo-analysis...

davros72 said:
Methinks we need a screenshot of this Young Indy hat-tip.
Indeed we do, Davros72, but please persue this final clue:

One can find Indy's tropical possession
in the place he practices his profession.

Stoo

Yessir! Below is the helmet in question. It could be his mother's from B.E.Africa or Henry Sr.'s from Tangiers.
A photo comparsion is forthcoming. What do you think? Is this a subtle nod to Young Indy? I think so...

PithHelmet_3.jpg

WeAreGoingToDie

While the hat in question could be from anywhere, I think we're safe in assuming it's from those episode mentioned above. Until an ultra detailed guide is released refuting this, I'd like to think it's from Young Indy.

Also, wasn't a pair of T.R.'s binoculars from "British East Africa, September 1909" placed in Indy's home? If so, I wonder how he took it back from his boyhood African buddy. :confused:

Stoo

Glad to know that at least one person agrees with me!;) Anyway, it seems more than mere coincidence that a helmet now hangs in
Pr. Jones' classroom. I'll have to check the "making of" docs to see if there's another look at it because this is the only shot in the film.

The reference to the binoculars you're thinking about is from "The Ultimate Guide". The photo only shows the case so while he may have
given Meto the binocs, he still had the carrying case. It also states the picture is of "Indy's on-campus apartment". Apartment?

Stoo

Sorry for the double post but I just noticed that the photo of items in "The Ultimate Guide" is the table in the "Skull" classroom!
The arrangement is a bit different but the binocular case is probably there...