What percentage of Indy movie fans likes the Young Indy series?

Remy

I'm just wondering what percentage of all the Raven posters generally posts in the Young Indy section?

And aside from The Raven, it seems that Indy fans in general are just about everybody, kind of like James Bond fans. Most people consider themselves casual fans at least. But how rare are we, the Young Indy fanatics? Have most people even heard of Young Indy?

tupogirl

I feel like I can tell someone I'm an Indy fan and not be looked at the same way if I were say a die hard Star Wars fan. It's more realistic.

I don't know what the percentage would be, but it'd be interesting to know.

phantom train

Good question - I'm a big fan of the IJ movies, but in a way I'm an even bigger fan of the YIJC. However, that seems to be rare. As has been said, it seems like most people that are fans of the IJ films are not necessarily fans of the YIJC (I think that's changing somewhat with the availability of the YIJC DVD's, i.e. people who have previously never heard of and/or seen the show are now able to watch it).

I still think the movies will always be more popular for most fans, especially casual fans.

emtiem

If adventure has a name it must be Indiana Jones.

If dry, dull, lifeless and overlong history lessons have a name, it must be Young Indiana Jones.

robweiner8

I love Young Indy!!!!
Seriously, it was entertaining, taught me about history, and was just good, plain ol' fun

The Man

caats said:
i'm with the Man on this one. though, i'd like to at some point.

Yeah, it could be a mammoth cramming-session to get the whole show on boxsets and just lock yourself in for a week. I'd love to see The Mystery Of The Blues...

sandiegojones

I've seen about half of them. Some were a long time ago and others I saw recently on History.

Most of these episodes are mediocre. They lack any action and have young Indy experiencing early 20th century history kind of like Forest Gump.

The intent of the series was to be an entertaining history lesson through young Indy, but really they lack any facts and what history you are presented with is not totally accurate.

I loved the concept, but not the execution. I prefer the films and totally want an Indy show more like the SW Clone Wars show on Cartoon Network.

emtiem

The Man said:
Yeah, it could be a mammoth cramming-session to get the whole show on boxsets and just lock yourself in for a week. I'd love to see The Mystery Of The Blues...

Just watch the Harrison bits on YouTube; the rest really isn't worth bothering with.

Stoo

What percentage of fans like Young Indy? That's an almost impossible question to answer but I would imagine it's somewhere in the area of 25-50%
The Man said:
What are you waiting for, Man? Go buy 'em right now!:whip:
If guys in clown make-up are what gets you off, then I would recommend "Phantom Train of Doom" because one of the characters wears some. You'd love it!:p

IAdventurer01

I've been slowly working through the DVDs and must say that I've been enjoying them. To some extent it is a little hit or miss like many TV shows, but as a whole it's a good show.

The key thing is to remember it is not actually like the movies much at all (at least where I'm at in the series) and take it for what it is - and I think a good percentage of above-casual Indy fans would enjoy it.

indyclone25

i have to say, i was a indy fan because of the movies but ,when the young indy series came on t.v. I was a even bigger fan ! it was like reading the expanded universe of star wars --- you got to live more thru the characters, here with young indy you got to see alot more about him --the war, that made him a man of action , the women who made him a man ---lol. the series was something i never missed , i taped them all , and now still have to someday transfer them to dvd ( but i do have the dvd sets) thats how insane i am about the series --- just think of the series as a stepping off point to the making of the hero we all fell in love with in Raiders of the lost ark

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
indyclone25 said:
.... the women who made him a man ---lol.

Woman, you mean. In any case....

MATA HARI!

Well, it is the obligatory mention that has to come up once in a while on these boards. :p

Anyway, mostly due to my age, the roots of my fandom actually came more from YIJC than the films, strangely enough. I only saw LC when I was 3 and it was on TV. YIJC was on every week after school when I was like 5-6 years old and so got to see Indy all the time till it was pulled off air and was forgotten about. Then ToD on TV came along at age 9 and restarted my interest in the movies and television series. So I have always loved the series and even though I didn't understand everything about what was going on in the show at a very young age, for some reason or other, I enjoyed it. And if one is asking for percentages of fans liking YIJC, I would suggest doing a poll as that is probably the best way to find out. It would be very interesting to find out the ratio of fans liking YIJC to fans who don't on this messageboard.

Indy Croft

young indy was good but why always about western history? It always showed beauty of Europe and not the natural beauty in the Orient. Also Indy is portrayed a a playboy, hanging out with about 20 women in just 5 years and having sex with a women who's like 15 years older than him in France. That's what messed up the series i think.

Lance Quazar

I was also turned off by the "Forrest Gump" quality to the series (even though the series pre-dates the Gump film.)

It seemed just ridiculous that Indy kept running into EVERY major figure in American and European history during his formative years. A few encounters I could handle, but it got absurd.

As a huge, lifelong fan of the films, I really wanted to love this series.

But it was definitely hit and miss and often on the dry side.

I have definitely enjoyed many episodes, but I totally dismiss the 9 year old Indy stuff. the SPF movies/episodes are definitely uneven, but have their moments.

I would like to revisit them now that they're on DVD, as I haven't seen any in probably ten years.

But even the stories with really cool plots, like many of the WWI episodes, had their dull moments.