Cool Custom DVD covers!

LostArk

These are great, especially the Young Indiana Jones set showing how Indy and his surroundings change throughout the years. That complete collection picture at the bottom is how I'd like the 4 movies to be released.

indyclone25

does anyone know if anyone has made seperate cover for individual discs? so that you can put each movie in it's own slipcase?

raftailgunner

indyclone25 said:
does anyone know if anyone has made seperate cover for individual discs? so that you can put each movie in it's own slipcase?
I started on doing that but they look nowhere near as good as the boxsets here.

raftailgunner said:
I started on doing that but they look nowhere near as good as the boxsets here.

That would be quite a space-taker on the shelf...

But when the release was first mentioned by Rick McCallum I thought the episodes would be released separately, so that we can finally see all the cover artworks Dre Struzan and Mike Butkus did for all of them.

Stoo

Laserschwert said:
But when the release was first mentioned by Rick McCallum I thought the episodes would be released separately, so that we can finally see all the cover artworks Dre Struzan and Mike Butkus did for all of them.
FINALLY, the name of the 2nd artist! Thanks, Laserschwert!:hat:
Been wondering for a long time who finished painting Struzan's roughs.

Yes, those custom covers look good.

Stoo said:
Been wondering for a long time who finished painting Struzan's roughs.

Yeah, I've been wondering too, so I've mailed the guys at The Drew Movie Poster Page. Ultimately that's how I got to Butkus' own site where I've found at least some of the paintings without the YI-title. Unfortunately he didn't answer to my mail (which can only be sent through a form on his page) about the other ones, plus his artbook seems to be out-of-print for a long time.

Avilos

Looking at Mike Butkus's website you can see how much the Young Indy paintings were cropped for the VHS releases. By zooming in so much the art looked very undetailed on the Tape Boxes. They look much better in their original format.

The Phantom Train of Doom looks superior. You actually see the Train!!!!! Still Indy's expression is very odd. I bet a result of Butkus finishing the work of another artist.

Struzan revealed said in a recent interview that George Lucas bought the original pencil drawings that he did. I would love to see those published somewhere.

Last edited:

Crack that whip

Laserschwert said:
Yeah, I've been wondering too, so I've mailed the guys at The Drew Movie Poster Page. Ultimately that's how I got to Butkus' own site where I've found at least some of the paintings without the YI-title. Unfortunately he didn't answer to my mail (which can only be sent through a form on his page) about the other ones, plus his artbook seems to be out-of-print for a long time.

Fantastic! I've wondered about who finished Struzan's works as well - and from that link, found even more I'd wondered about, including the illustrator behind so many of those classic Star Wars "clip art" illustrations that've been used on various products over the decades. Cool!

indyclone25

great paiting for some of the young indy movies
1_08c.jpg

1_08b-3.jpg

1_08b-2.jpg

raftailgunner

Okay. Here is my first young Indy cover. I'm actually going to start it over again because when printed out text isn't very clear. Also speaking of text there is a grammatical error in the blurb but I'll hopefully improve on this first attempt. I have also done a cover for Trenches of hell (which I am very unhappy with) and 3 video games. I have started work on Phantom Train which I think is my strongest attempt so far but all have the same problems of the text not look clear enough when printed. Thanks for looking.

01.jpg