Whats your favourite use of a recurring historical Character?

What is your favourite use of a recurring historical character

• T.E. Lawrence

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Ernest Hemingway

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Colonel Minhertzagen

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Frederick Selous

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Pablo Picasso

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sidney Bechet (and his band)

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Mine is of course T.E. Lawrence, I love how they made a real person Indy's father figure, and I'm so glad we got to see the whole of his arc, from My first adventure, right through 'this war must be fought, the alternative is unthinkable' to his disillusionment in Winds Of Change, and his argument with Indy. Also I feel the depiction of Ned is possibly the most realistic, I've read all his letters, ands thats T.E. Lawrence up on the screen.

Crack that whip

T. E. Lawrence's relationship with Indy carries dramatic weight, and is surely important to the character; it's also engrossing to watch. I think Frederick Selous in his "Phantom Train of Doom" reappearance is clearly the most fun, though - well, except for hearing the music played by Sidney Bechet.

Yeah Selous is definately the most fun, but I think they could have used him more in the 1908 episode, flagged him more. You might notice I left out Gershwin, but I didn't think anyone would vote for a return performance to merely go 'hey! I got you a job'

I just think lucasfilm had a lot of balls to make a real character so integral to Indy's life. When people critisise Young Indy for him meeting historical personages too much, and in wacky ways, I've never really understood it, I mean once he met Ned Lawrence, it was only natural he'd meet all his friends. And what with Indy's parents touring the upper class of Europe in 1908-1910, it only makes sense they'd be introduced to luminaries of the time. I mean, its not like forest gump, Indy meets a few historical characters, and through that connection meets more, its sort of handled logically methinks.

But anyway. I digress down I slightly biased blind alley, just finished watching the first half of winds of change again, I just love Indy and Neds relationship in that episode, its got such pathos, and such back story, its that moment late in a shows run, where strands are drawn together, like indy referencing the old man in mexico to the diplomat in Versaille, makes it all the more real. I think what alot of reviewers have missed is that Young Indy is a cohesive narrative, one long story, that must be watched from start to finish to feel its true value. Anyway I'm babbling.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I love the use of Hemingway. All the episodes he was in, were the most fun and I loved his cameo in 'Scandals.' He was just a fun character and had great chemistry with Indy.

Stoo

Selous, all the way!(y) He is the basis for Allan Quatermain and I was thrilled that Indy shared some adventures with him.
Meinertzhagen was a close second since I had read about him before the series began and his portryal is very entertaining.
Thirdly, Hem! Jay Underwood delivers and I love the team-up in "Mystery of the Blues".

(Not to mention that the resemblence of P.Freeman in costume as Selous is very close to the real man.)

Jeremiah Jones said:
You might notice I left out Gershwin, but I didn't think anyone would vote for a return performance to merely go 'hey! I got you a job'
He still deserves a place in the poll, Jeremiah!:whip:
If Princeton, May 1905 had been made we would have had Paul Robeson twice, too.

metalinvader

Violet Indy said:
I love the use of Hemingway. All the episodes he was in, were the most fun and I loved his cameo in 'Scandals.' He was just a fun character and had great chemistry with Indy.

Spot on to what I was going to say,Violet. The chemistry between the two in Tales of Innocence is brilliant.

Stoo

WillKill4Food said:
Exactly why I voted for him. (y)
Yessir! (I must say it's unforunate that after you vote in a poll you cannot see who voted for what.)
Actually, I should have said that Selous was part-basis for Quatermain since the other part was Haggard himself.

Have you ever seen the BBC mini-series, "Rhodes"? Selous has a substantial amount of screen time in it.
He's played by a guy named Paul Slabolepszy. Way cool!(y)

Jeremiah Jones said:
Also I feel the depiction of Ned is possibly the most realistic, I've read all his letters, ands thats T.E. Lawrence up on the screen.
Lawrence was a great choice for a recurring character and the connections are well-handled but, at the time,
I was a tad disappointed the same actor wasn't used for T.E. In the long run, though, it doesn't really bother me.
Hard to decide which one I prefer. (Not that it matters, anyway!)

Stoo

Re: George Gershwin & Paul Robeson:
Stoo said:
He still deserves a place in the poll, Jeremiah!:whip:
If Princeton, May 1905 had been made we would have had Paul Robeson twice, too.
Because of the recent conversation in Junior Jones' thread: Lost Tales, I thought it would be appropriate
to mention this here. It looks like this kid may have been possibly cast as the original, Young Paul Robeson.
What do you think? If so, then he's a recurring character (along with George Gershwin)!

Billie_1.jpg

Nice spot Stoo, so Paul Robeson is another reoccuring character, and I love that guy. Wish that episode had been made. Hell I wish all those episodes had been made... even the freaky shrunken Indy one