New Young IJ DVDs (The Difference)?

Tennessee R

Well,
I'll have to say, it's been a while since last time I started a thread.

I was wondering, just how good or bad are the new DVD sets?

Everything that I read says that they are seriously edited, and a lot of the content is not even there anymore. Is that true?

For those of you that have seen the originals, does it really mess it up badly?

...and if so, is there anywhere that you can get the originals on DVD?

Flannery10

Well Tennessee, I think the DVDs are really good, especially if you think about the alternative. Lucas pretty much financed them on his own, because if he hadn't I doubt we'd have ever seen Young Indy on DVD.

Many episodes (which used to be 45 minutes long) were edited together to form 90 minute TV movies. The 2 problems with this are (a) that many episodes don't fit together because the mood, moral and theme are completely different and (b) since most episodes were accompanied by bookends (3-4 minute segments with a 90 year old Indiana Jones introducing the episode) and Lucas didn't want them anymore for some reason, they were replaced by very cheaply made linking segments which you can figure out quite easly, even if you have not seen the originals before. But these changes will only have a big impact if (and I'm pretty sure only if) you have seen the originals. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't buy the sets, other than the price, of course.

If you care for Bonus Features, all 22 TV movies come with several documentaries that give us a lot of background info for some of the historical events and persons. Most of them are really good and if you are into history or just care to learn something, watch them. I think they're worth it.

indyclone25

i have the original shows on video tape ( which i recorded from television) and i have the three collections , i think the dvd collections are very good considering that they are made into movies --- i enjoy watching them and watch them every so often -- the closest to the television series is the "mystery of the blues" you get to see how the y had the older indy remember about his past, and that should give you an idea how the 90 year old indy did it every episode. but if you have the dvd collection and haven't seen the originals --- you really won't miss it to much .

phantom train

Without getting into the issue regarding the storylines of the original YIJC vs. the re-edited movie versions, I will say this - the picture and sound quality on the DVD's is, for the most part, absolutely superb - overall, the picture is crisp, clear, and much better than the original TV show broadcasts and/or the VHS releases. Ths sound quality is also extremely good.

The only picture segments that don't always look that great are the linking segments, and sometimes the segments that were edited in from other movies/TV shows (this is most evident in the WW I episodes). However, this is a minor quibble, since they probably couldn't do much with these portions.

indyclone25

the dvd's are in very good quality----- who knows maybe lucas will sell the episodes one by one with the old indy segments on them? you know make so more bucks off of fans , eh , he wouldn't do that would he?

Stoo

Tennessee R said:
I was wondering, just how good or bad are the new DVD sets?

Everything that I read says that they are seriously edited, and a lot of the content is not even there anymore. Is that true?

For those of you that have seen the originals, does it really mess it up badly?
The DVD boxed sets aren't just good, they are great, full-blooded, little packages of wonderful story-telling & adventure and crammed to the hilt with historical documentaries.
Apart from a few timeline glitches and cut/modified scenes, the series doesn't suffer too badly. The biggest bonus is seeing all the new (and sometimes uncensored) footage
and extended battle scenes.(y) There are times where the changes are not for the better (voice overdubs) but overall, if you enjoyed the show, then the DVDs are a very,
rich & rewarding purchase.

EVERY episode has been tampered with but there are some where all of the original content, minus bookends, is still intact.
For an extensive review of all the cut scenes & shots, see this thread...and I still have more to add:
Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD films

phantom train said:
the picture and sound quality on the DVD's is, for the most part, absolutely superb - overall, the picture is crisp, clear, and much better than the original TV show broadcasts and/or the VHS releases. Ths sound quality is also extremely good.
I concur. Even though the stereo broadcasts of the originals were "cutting-edge" back then, the sound on the DVDs is incredible!
The image & audio are s**t-HOT!(y) :whip:

indyclone25 said:
who knows maybe lucas will sell the episodes one by one with the old indy segments on them? you know make so more bucks off of fans , eh , he wouldn't do that would he?
Heh. You never, EVER know...:D