Guilty pleasures

bob

'allo

Which movies are out there that you know are corny or stupid that you really shouldnt watch and enjoy, but still find yourself coming back to them time and time again

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The first that comes to mind for me is Paint Your Wagon, the first, last, and only Western musical starring Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin. Yes, that Clint Eastwood. Yes, they both sing. And then the entire town collapses into tunnels they've been digging to get gold dust from under all the saloons, whorehouses, and other places of business in No-Name City. Good wholesome fun!

Joe Brody

Guilty Pleasure: 'Bring It On'
Not-so-guilty-Pleasure: 'William Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet'
So-Dorky-It's-Cool-Guilty-Pleasure: 'Murder By Death'
So-Dorky-It's-Cool-Guilty-Pleasure II: Disney's original 'Parent Trap'

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sean Reagan said:

'Murder By Death' dorky? Aw, come on...naw, I'm just kidding you. I don't think it's dorky, but I guess it could be...I'm a fan too. What a cast...

Indy007

EarlyBird said:
Totally dorky but I'm totally guilty of partaking in it time and time again: Real Genius

One of the nicer memories of my childhood was seeing a double feature between Real Genius, the first film, and Weird Science, the last shown.

Joe Brody

Attila the Professor said:
Sean Reagan said:

'Murder By Death' dorky? Aw, come on...naw, I'm just kidding you. I don't think it's dorky, but I guess it could be...I'm a fan too. What a cast...

. . . .I'd be hard pressed to name a better cast. I say 'dorky' because a fan (like me) can really obsess on the dialogue and other scenes from the movie.

Who's your favorite couple?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sean Reagan said:
Attila the Professor said:
Sean Reagan said:

. . . .I'd be hard pressed to name a better cast. I say 'dorky' because a fan (like me) can really obsess on the dialogue and other scenes from the movie.

Who's your favorite couple?

Ooh...that's tough, but I think I'll have to say Miss Marbles and the nurse (Elsa Lanchaster and Estelle Winwood). Who's yours?

Joe Brody

The Marbles/Nurse pick is interesting because I've always felt that they got the least amount of screen time. Are you a fan of the 'real' character?

. . . as for me, the Thin Man it is and I have to go with the Charlestons. Niven is top shelf and Maggie Smith is quite the dish. Although, I laugh the loudest at Milos Perrier (James Coco).

Inspector Milo Perrier: Clues?! I need no clues from you! I find my own clues, you demented lollipop!

00Kevin

Indyfan
Indy007 said:
The two Legally Blonde pictures are fun and enjoyable. I wouldn't mind owning them on DVD.

hmmmmm, looks like someone has discovered the 'ZOOM' option :D

I'ld say I'm embarassed that I even saw Tomb Raider
and also Kung Pow, the only funny scenes are worn out in the adds

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Sean Reagan said:
The Marbles/Nurse pick is interesting because I've always felt that they got the least amount of screen time. Are you a fan of the 'real' character?

. . . as for me, the Thin Man it is and I have to go with the Charlestons. Niven is top shelf and Maggie Smith is quite the dish. Although, I laugh the loudest at Milos Perrier (James Coco).

Inspector Milo Perrier: Clues?! I need no clues from you! I find my own clues, you demented lollipop!

I don't know, I've always found Elsa Lanchester absolutely eccentric, so that's part of it. And the nurse is just bizarre..."Murder-poo?" I'm not a fan of the real Miss Marple though.

I must admit, I probably actually enjoy Peter Falk the most...he is always wonderful. Have you seen The In-Laws? His Bogart impersonation is wonderful.

Actually, the movie has quite a few of my favorite actors in it...David Niven, Elsa Lanchester, Peter Falk, Alec Guinness, and Peter Sellers.

Inspector Sidney Wang: "Yes, is confusing."
Lionel Twain: "IT! IT is confusing! Say your [expletive] pronouns! That drives me crazy!"
Sam Diamond: "Sounds like a short drive to me."

Joe Brody

Never saw 'The In-Laws' and I just scanned the reviews over on Amazon. Pretty impressive, I must have passed it countless times in the rental store and dismissed it as typical late-70's garbage. I'll have to rent it.

Falk's Sam Diamond and Seller's Sidney Wang get the best material -- and Truman Capote is the perfect scornful foil. What casting genius.

Sam Diamond: You're good, Charleston. You're not my kind of cop, but you're smart and you smell good. You're not a pansy, I know that, but what the hell are ya?
Dick Charleston: Classy, I suppose.

Joe Brody

Thanks for the welcome. With the hoardes of new members who have come onboard in the recent weeks, it's nice to not be overlooked.

Joe Brody

00Kevin [/i]I'ld say I'm embarassed that I even saw Tomb Raider [/B][/QUOTE] I'd say a guy could do a lot worse than having 'Tomb Raider' as a guilty pleasure. I know I stop for a scene or two when I'm flipping through the channels. [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cain said:
City Slickers I and II. "Helloooo..."

City Slickers on the other hand, I don't get. Isn't that a popular, well respected comedy? [That is, to the extent any comedy is respectable.]

PS: Mr. Fisk, Gilles V helped me out. I wasn't happy because I only ended up with 'Sean Reagan' after being denied 'Joe Brody', 'Joe Brody Jr', 'Joe Brody II', and 'Sean Regan'. I put in 'Sean Reagan' -- not really wanting it -- for the heck of it. And such was my luck, that name went through. I have no idea what I was doing wrong.

[Edited by Joe Brody on 10-31-2003 at 01:44 pm]