Oscars 2009

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
There have been a few ties in Oscar history. But how come there are never 6 nominees, when the field is much wider? Since nominees tied for 5th aren't likely to win, I bet PricewaterhouseCoopers just flips a coin to keep things neat. Like Minnesota. That's my little conspiracy theory.

The Man

A year to the day since his death, Ledger secures a spot. Nice...

*Alas, The Dark Knight didn't quite sneak a nod for Best Picture. Or Musical Score...

deckard24

The Man said:

A year to the day since his death, Ledger secures a spot. Nice...

*Alas, The Dark Knight didn't quite sneak a nod for Best Picture. Or Musical Score...
I would have liked to see TDK get a Best Picture nom or even a Best Director for Nolan! I'm glad to see The Wrestler and Mickey Rourke getting some attention, but I'm a little shocked to see Eastwood not showing up in any of the catergories, with the exception of Jolie's nom for Changeling!

The Man

deckard24 said:
I would have liked to see TDK get a Best Picture nom or even a Best Director for Nolan! I'm glad to see The Wrestler and Mickey Rourke getting some attention, but I'm a little shocked to see Eastwood not showing up in any of the catergories, with the exception of Jolie's nom for Changeling!

I would have thought Bruce Springsteen was in with a shot for Best Song...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4OSvJvSwmd4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4OSvJvSwmd4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

The Man

Richard Jenkins gets a nod! Hurrah! One of those great, unfussy, unsung actors...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZUYcPiM4ww&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZUYcPiM4ww&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Crusade>Raiders said:
Bruce not get nominated for Best Song?QUOTE]
A few years ago they cut the song nominees from 5 to 3, probably because all that singing padded an already overlong broadcast by 20 minutes. Personally I think this category should be reserved for musicals.

Too bad Tropic Thunder wasn't released later. "I don't break character until the DVD commentary" - Robert Downey Jr. / Kirk Lazarus / Sergeant Lincoln Osiris / Father O'Mallie / Neil Armstrong

Forbidden Eye

The Oscars have always been ****, but I was hopeful they'd at least attempt to redeem themselves. I guess I was just deluding myself.

C'mon Gran Torino gets NOTHING!?! The Dark Knight, while not perfect, sure as hell deserved a nomination for BP, just as much/much more as any film released this decade.

And Benjamin Button 13 nominations? Ugh!*

I don't think I'll bother watching the ceremony this year.

*I know I wrote a positive review on this site a while back, but the more you think about it, the more underwhelming it was.

kongisking

SO PISSED! Dark Knight is not even nominated, at the least, for Best Picture!?!?!?!?!??? WHAT!!!!!!! How dare they! Just because it's based on a comic book, the Academy is hesitant to give Bats his just desserts....AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! SO MAD!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

(pant, pant, pant, pant, pant, etc...)

deckard24

The Man said:
I would have thought Bruce Springsteen was in with a shot for Best Song...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4OSvJvSwmd4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4OSvJvSwmd4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​
I don't know how I let that slip by me? I'm really shocked he didn't get nominated, especially after his Globe win!! :confused:

Richard Jenkins gets a nod! Hurrah! One of those great, unfussy, unsung actors...
Yeah Jenkins is awesome! He was really good on Six Feet Under!

Goonie

I'm just going to say that I'm disappointed in the nominations. Like others said, no Gran Torino?

I'm disappointed that Dark Knight didn't get more nominations. In all it looks like a pretty boring selection of movies. They should've just given the Oscars to Heath and WALL-E right away.:D

The only movie I've seen from the best picture category is Benjamin Button. It was good, but not great. It was long and slow, It was lacking that little bit of extra to really make it stand out.

Only three movies nominated for visual effects? What the...?? Where's Iron Man, or some of the other summer blockbusters? Even the lead-lined fridge got shut out of this category.:gun:

I say boo to the Academy this year.

aJakeinthePlane

I agree that this years nominations are weak. I saw a few of them and they were great but I don't feel like they were ground breaking in any way.

Ska

Glad to see Peter Gabriel nominated for "Down to Earth" (from Wall-E).

Great song. Great artist.

The Man

B.A.F.T.A. POINTERS..?

article-1139176-0358A70D000005DC-86.jpg

Joe Brody

Quick thoughts. . . .

. . . .Hugh Jackman as Host. Is the choice of a member of actor's club any surprise after Chris Rock taking shots at Jude Law (and Sean Penn's rebuttal)? Remember: Jackman is a Broadway certified dancing fool, so he should be able to knock this gig out of the park. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in this role for a few years.

. . . .The awards show should be better this year. There have been a few articles about the rumored minor shake-ups in the show. I think we'll see a better show. I especially like the show closing with peeks at the upcoming '09 films. Talk about an Elsa Schneider moment. They should've been doing this for years.

. . . .Moedred, sorry buddy, but you're smoking the funny stuff to think that Spalko deserved a nomination for her Benjamin Button performance. In any event, this is Ms. Winslet's year to shine.

. . . am I the only person that thought that Man on Wire was 2/3's too long. What a great start . . .that fizzled . . .and fizzled bad.

. . . with the world economy tanking, I would not bet against Slumdog in any race. Members of the Academy like to feel relevant and what this world needs is a feel good film. Especially since I bet a few members have been Madoffed. I think votes will pile on in all categories for which it is nominated.

. . . .Benjamin Button should get shut out. Apart from the obvious ones (makeup and visual effects) where it has a chance, the only category where I could make an argument for Button is Art Direction. The sets -- especially the ones at the end (the apartment and dance studio) -- were perfect in a subtle way that really added to the film (which overall misfired on multiple levels).

. . . .anyone who thinks that The Dark Knight was a great film, should watch Heat and then Batman Begins and then The Dark Knight. A great film it was not. Dark Knight was very derivative and boring apart from the dearly departed Mr. Ledger's performance.

Last edited:

YouNeverKnow

Joe Brody said:
. . . .anyone who thinks that The Dark Knight was a great film, should watch Heat and then Batman Begins and then The Dark Knight. A great film it was not. Dark Knight was very derivative and boring apart from the dearly departed Mr. Ledger's performance.

Begins is a better picture, I've agreed with you on that since I saw it. But to me, TDK wasn't boring. I know it's an opinion, and I can understand why it didn't get a nod. But it's still a rather enjoyable flick.

Benjamin Button, on the other hand, I didn't really like. It felt like some bizarre Forrest Gump without the humorous bits and about 45 minutes too long with some crazy message/imagery about Hurricane Katrina at the end. It will obviously win makeup/visual though. Making Cate that old and Pitt that young was really cool to see.