The Da Vinci Code

Ska

Plans on a screenplay of the best selling novel, The DaVinci Code, by Dan Brown seem to be underway (unlike a certain IJ IV...argh!). Here's a link to IMDB's site with a synopsis and tenative cast/crew.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/

I'm not a fan of Tom Hanks, but I'll make an exception to see this movie.

Jay R. Zay

tom hanks? the book said langdon looks similar to... the one and only HARRISON FORD! :whip:

who is not tom hanks :(

Strider

Regardless of Hanks as Langdon I'm really looking forward to this movie. I found the book to be a great read and I am curious to how the movie will play out and what controvercy it might stir up.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Yeah, I checked thehistorychannel.com for info on it, and all they had was the DVD for purchase.

Ska

Although I think he is in great movies, I don't think the movies are great because of his acting (which I feel is mediocre at best). There are exceptions, however, in Apollo 13 and Forest Gump. I think mainly my problem w/ Hanks as Robert Langdon is that when I read the book, I didn't have Hanks painted in my head. Because of that, I'm stuggling to imagine him playing that role.

Now, the actor listed to play Fache is almost exactly like I imagined him.

I've been trying to think of which actor I would fill Langon's shoes, but I can't really come up with any. I guess I pictured a (more serious) Rick Moranis looking actor.

Stoo

Canadian TV Reminder

Don't forget, History Channel - "The Real Da Vinci Code".
this Wednesday, March 23, 9:00 PM
(Like everything else, it is sure to be repeated).

I've never read the book so thanks to SKA for the *heads up".

Ska

As long as you like to read, you owe your eyes a favor by reading this book. I mean, I've read plenty the adventure novel in my 24 years...mostly Indiana Jones...but also from Elizabeth Peters, Clive Cussler, Matthew Reilley, etc. and I can honestly say that nothing has compared.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
What's with this balderdash that DaVinci Code is anti-Christian?

Quite simply put, it mortalizes the man of Christ, removing the Deity of Christ. That is why many consider it "anti-christian". That's all.

monkey

DaVinci Code

Just finished reading this great novel recently.

Fantastic novel, and the historical background is fascinating, and thought provoking.

I think it is interesting to juxtapose 'DaVinci Code' against 'Last Crusade'.

Lots of connections and interesting contrasts.

Also, the Christians are all upset about this novel. Which of course delights me.

Your thoughts???

PS: apologies if there has already been a DaVinci code thread.....I've been away for a while.

monkey

I enjoyed Angels and Demons also, but there does seem to be somewhat of a standard formula to Dan Brown's books I would agree.

But another of his novels, 'Deception Point', is quite good also, and doesn't quite follow the same exact formula, though there are certain cliches such as not revealing the bad guy until near the end.

I have not yet read 'Digital Fortress', though I have purchased it. It's to be my next Airplane book.

monkey

ClintonHammond said:
'DaVinci Code'

Good fiction... but one must remember, it's fiction...

I'd say the exact same thing about Christianity.

(Please, that wasn't an imflammatory statement, simply my honest opinion.)