Worst Character *Revisited*

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
A take on an old thread (notice a running theme here?)...

Who is, in your mind, the worst character of the trilogy? State who the charcter is and why you don't like him/her. Easy?

In my opinion, and I'm sure others will quite disagree with me, I think Short Round does absolutely nothing for the Indiana Jones trilogy. He only exists to appeal to the younger Indy-fan crowd. He is almost as annoying as Willie, but at least she can try to sing.

Next...

Stoo

For me it's a toss between Shorty and Henry Jones, Sr.

Short Round - for his annoying voice and his inclusion as a
counterbalance to the dark, violent tone of "Doom". Reading
the novel made me appreciate him a tiny bit more and I've
warmed to him over the years but he's still the prize winner.

Henry Jones, Sr. - A bumbling, fuss-pot most of the time and
such a disappointment when the movie came out. Although he
does provide a dynamic element to the story, if it wasn't Connery,
he'd be my Numero Uno.

Mariah

Belloq or Marion. :dead: Belloq is just plain annoying, especially the way he says Jones all the time. Marion is like a bond girl, too much of a cliché.

KDuncan

Probably Willie for me. I know that all the screaming was to be funny, and it was, but after awhile it did get pretty annoying. I think she didn't really add that much to the story, and if you took her out, the biggest difference would be the lack of noise. :whip:

Sorry Webley...

Short Round. Annoying, too much of a sidekick for being a kid, kicks around Thuggees that are half his size somehow, drives a car...

I think Wu Han would've been a better replacement for Doom.

Jay R. Zay

Personally, i like almost all the characters. I like brody, both in indy I and III, i like marion and belloq, i like shortround more or less as i think it is hard to portrait a young boy and compared to other movies, ToD did very well. yes i like them all - except for the rest of the guys from ToD. Lao Che is a living cliché, Willie is simply annoying - she's not a bit like anything you could expect from an indy girl, this indian guy in the suit is always annoying - all in all everybody in india is absoltutely exaggerated. yes i know, i know; jay doesn't like ToD - but it's more than that. or perhaps it's the same; i dislike ToD because of the poor characters. and yet, on place two after Kubrick's The Shining, Short Round is my favorite depiction of an immature guy. river phoenix doesn't really count as he seems to be mature already, otherwise i would have placed him on place two - but after all he is the main character, isn't he ;)

Last edited:
There's honestly no character I don't like. Hm, maybe the monkey in Raiders..... ;)
Crusade is my favorite movie, so of course I love Henry Jones Sr. and TOD would have been worse without Shorty if you ask me.

Mariah

"Lao Che is a living cliché"

Belloq is a living cliché, he?s like the villains from Humphrey Bogart?s movies. Lao Che is only in TOD for about 5 mins.

"Willie is simply annoying - she's not a bit like anything you could expect from an indy girl..."

What do you expect from an Indy girl? She was only the second Indy girl so I never held many expectations for her character.

"all in all everybody in india is absoltutely exaggerated."

Aren't the Nazis exaggerated in Raiders and Last Crusade? It's not meant to be a documentary. And yes some people in India really do eat snakes, bugs, and monkey brains.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The guy with the monkey, eyepatch and motorcycle in Raiders. Very 2D. Poisoning the dates then slinking away was lousy field work. Had he died in an amusing way, he wouldn't be so annoying.

indifan101

Willie without a doubt was the worst character. All that screaming she did and the wines and complaints just drove me nuts! I felt sorry for Indy in ToD! She is without a doubt the worst character. :sick:

roundshort

I hate the little ass kisser that puts the apple on Indy's desk in RotLA, what type of Homo gives a guy teacher an apple, then Brody eats the apple, maybe Brody is a . . .hey wait a mintue Brody and Dr. Jones Sr. are . . .you don't think they might be . . .nahhhh

Jay R. Zay

roundshort said:
I hate the little ass kisser that puts the apple on Indy's desk in RotLA, what type of Homo gives a guy teacher an apple, then Brody eats the apple, maybe Brody is a . . .hey wait a mintue Brody and Dr. Jones Sr. are . . .you don't think they might be . . .nahhhh

as far as i remember, brody does *not* eat the apple. the sequence is a joke because most people don't notice the whole process the first time they watch it because they focus on the conversation. one of the many interesting aspects about RotLA

HovitosKing

Short Round

There is only one character from the trilogy that I absolutely loathe. I do not often speak of him, because it pains me so to think of him at all. He is a short, whiny, idiotic baffoon who should be shining Indy's shoes, not accompanying him on adventures. His name is Short Round, and he is the bane of my existence.

San Holo

I'm gonna go with the little Hitler monkey in Raiders. First, he pulls at your heart-strings by just being a cute 'lil monk in tiny people clothes, then he turns into a real A-hole. Just when you start to hate him, he dies leaving you with all misty eyed. :(

Jay R. Zay

San Holo said:
I'm gonna go with the little Hitler monkey in Raiders. First, he pulls at your heart-strings by just being a cute 'lil monk in tiny people clothes, then he turns into a real A-hole. Just when you start to hate him, he dies leaving you with all misty eyed. :(

hmm, when you put it this way... was the monkey the model for elsa's character? ;)