Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Collecting Indy
User Name
Password

Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #176
Gobi-1
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by featofstrength
I picked up the gate at Target this weekend for 10 bucks...pretty cool, but my catapult clip was also broken. Good thing I could care less about that feature

Mine was the same way. Catapult was broken so it won't lock down, plus one of the swords snapped in half while I was trying to remove it from the plastic box. I've never bought anything from McFarlane but I was surprised by the cheapness of the plastic. I've always heard that McFarlane made high quality products but I was not impressed. Hasbro has nothing to worry about.
Gobi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #177
Gobi-1
IndyFan

Dastan's leg just broke off. McFarlane, more like McCrap.
Gobi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #178
Spassvogel
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi-1
Dastan's leg just broke off. McFarlane, more like McCrap.

Hey guys, I just jumped onboard here because I was interested in Indy customs. I also have a couple of those gates. I was surprised to read that someone in the thread said the clip on their catapult wasn't broken. The clips were supposed to be broken before the gates made it to stores because they decided it was too dangerous somehow. The unbroken one is certainly rare, because it's the first intact one I've ever heard of.

I don't usually buy McFarlane stuff because it's out of the 1:18 scale, but I bought an Albert Pujols 3 3/4ths figure, as well as a handful of these Prince of Persia figs since they were the right size. The plastic is really bad. I had the leg of one of my dastan's snap off too, and my 6yr old broke one of the swords trying to put it into the sheath on his back.

The articulation is decent and the sculpts are decent, but the plastic is gritty and brittle.

I wish we'd gotten a second wave though, I was looking forward to a figure of the princess.

Anyway, lots of good fodder at least for Raiders' dios.
Spassvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #179
featofstrength
IndyFan

my Big Lots got in a whole bunch of old/new World Peacekeepers sets recently. Camels, horses, the battle command post, towers...and the battlefield set, which looks pretty snazzy.

I picked up the set with the campfire, makeshift tent, kettle, and pot.
featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:47 AM   #180
Errex
IndyFan

Very nice set!

The building in the back is just the front?, Like a plastic shell?
Errex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #181
mister64
IndyFan

Are those the sets that had the motorcycle/sidecar that people customized into a TLC version?
mister64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM   #182
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister64
Are those the sets that had the motorcycle/sidecar that people customized into a TLC version?

I'm pretty sure they are.

I took a good look at the Jeep in our local toyshop but couldn't bring myself to buy it.

Found a perfect scale camel, though, second hand. It has the 'AAA' mark within a circle underneath. The company was never in the Papo league, but the camel is a good sculpt.
Montana Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #183
Stoo
IndyFan

Not being a follower of this thread nor an action figure guy, perhaps this has already been mentioned but...

In a Swiss department store (Co-Op, I think it's also a chain in the UK) there was some African-themed stuff by a German company called, Schleich. They had in stock:

-an African tree (looks like a baobab tree to me).
-an VERY LARGE African outpost complete with thatched roof & fenced veranda.
-a plane (looks like a Piper Cub) painted with a zebra pattern. With a new paint job, this would be perfect for a Harry Steele "Secret of the Incas" diorama!
-a large truck with an Indy-ish looking driver. The cab is a flat-front (green with a silver grille) and the back of the truck has high walls of 'wooden' slats for containing cargo.

Each item looked compatible with the Hasbro figres so I just thought the info would be worth passing along to you folks.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #184
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Not being a follower of this thread nor an action figure guy, perhaps this has already been mentioned but...

In a Swiss department store (Co-Op, I think it's also a chain in the UK) there was some African-themed stuff by a German company called, Schleich. They had in stock:

-an African tree (looks like a baobab tree to me).
-an VERY LARGE African outpost complete with thatched roof & fenced veranda.
-a plane (looks like a Piper Cub) painted with a zebra pattern. With a new paint job, this would be perfect for a Harry Steele "Secret of the Incas" diorama!
-a large truck with an Indy-ish looking driver. The cab is a flat-front (green with a silver grille) and the back of the truck has high walls of 'wooden' slats for containing cargo.

Each item looked compatible with the Hasbro figres so I just thought the info would be worth passing along to you folks.

Thanks, Stoo.

Some of those have been mentioned, but I didn't know there was also a 'plane.

I think Lance was working on the truck.

The 'outpost' (animal hospital?) has been in my mind for a while, but space and cost are both issues.

The Co-operative is indeed a British concern, who'll arrange everything from your groceries to your funeral! Though I've never known them to sell toys over here.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #185
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Yeah, they announced the plane a while back, it's pretty new. Haven't had the chance to pick it up yet, but I want to make sure you can get the figures in there.

Yeah, I have the truck, which is great. Haven't had a chance to work on painting it yet.

The figures only barely can be squeezed in. The Schleich figurines are smaller than the Indy line, so it's a bit of a challenge.

Which is why I want see how the figures compare to the plane before I take the plunge.

Here again are the pics of the truck I posted a while back....

Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #186
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo

Unfortunately, the plane will NOT fit a figure in the pilot's seat. It's a little too small, there's just no leg room at all.

If you were to remove the legs from a figure, you could probably put one there for display purposes.

I bought one, not sure if I will return it or perhaps attempt to modify it so you can figure a figure. Would entail removing about a 1/4 of plastic from the nose area (though, theoretically, you could do it without it harming the aesthetics, since the nose is a separate piece.)

Not sure if I want to risk it, given my incredibly limited skills as a craftsman.....
Old 12-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #187
Montana Smith
IndyFan

It doesn't look too bad in the photos, Lance.

If you're keeping it, it'd be great to see some pictures alongside the Indy figures.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #188
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

I caved and took the whole thing out of the box and assembled it. It just looks too darn cool and the Indy figures look great along side it.

Despite my trepidation, I think I will attempt to do the modification so I can take a shot at fitting my pilot figure in the seat.

Plenty of other figures can fit in the back.

I will also have to do something about the paint job....but, then again, I said the same thing about the truck and have yet to modify that one.

Maybe I'll have time over the holidays....?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #189
Luke Sprywalker
IndyFan

The truck and plane look great! I would love to find one of those trucks to repaint and weather. I have not been around here much of late and luckily decided to poke my head in here today. I have found a pretty good head for Belloch, had it cast and will be back in a few days with some pics.
Luke Sprywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #190
featofstrength
IndyFan

not sure where to post this...maybe a sideshow/hot toys link...but anyway, cool set up if you can afford it for the 12 in figures
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=9&itemid=16867

featofstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #191
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

^Cooool! Might even be better for the smaller action figures. Would feel more like an "environment" than just a sliver of a wall as it towered over a tiny Indy.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #192
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
^Cooool! Might even be better for the smaller action figures. Would feel more like an "environment" than just a sliver of a wall as it towered over a tiny Indy.

I saw this the other day over at Sideshow Freaks, and you're right, Lance. It would make a more substantial display for the 3 3/4" figures. These mini-displays don't really grab me as 1/6 environments since they look a bit limited. But for smaller figures you could get a much bigger diorama.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #193
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Check out these 1:18 scale WWII German Soldiers from the "Our War" line, recently revealed at Toy Fair:

Saw these posted over at Jedi Defender and did a little digging, apparently they are from a company called Tieka Toys. They have made some modern US Army figures that look pretty darn cool and are sold out everywhere online.
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #194
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ray
Check out these 1:18 scale WWII German Soldiers from the "Our War" line, recently revealed at Toy Fair:

Saw these posted over at Jedi Defender and did a little digging, apparently they are from a company called Tieka Toys. They have made some modern US Army figures that look pretty darn cool and are sold out everywhere online.

Never heard of that company before. They have cartoony faces, but their hairstyles are dead accurate! They might even have pop-on heads compatible with Hasbro, so could make useful custom fodder.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #195
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Smith
Never heard of that company before. They have cartoony faces, but their hairstyles are dead accurate! They might even have pop-on heads compatible with Hasbro, so could make useful custom fodder.

Saw those pics recently, thanks for the images Billy.

I do hope they are closer in scale to the Indy line than the 21st Century figures, which were generally a bit too tall.

And, yeah, hopefully those goofy heads are easily replaceable.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #196
Billy Ray
IndyFan

Yeah, the heads are kind of cartoony. The figures themselves look pretty nice though...pretty awesome articulation. The gear is nice too, can never have enough gear.

I saw on one of the GI-Joe forums where someone had swapped Joe heads with the modern US Army figures they have out. Those also looked to be in scale with the Joes. Th emodern figures are pretty nice too:

http://store.foxholetoys.com/ourwarsoldiers.html

Last edited by Billy Ray : 02-23-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Billy Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #197
inky_skin
IndyFan

Interesting - Tieka actually display their product alongside Hasbro Indy figures standing in for generic "Middle Eastern" bad guys... http://www.tiekatoys.com/news.asp?id=166
inky_skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #198
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky_skin
Interesting - Tieka actually display their product alongside Hasbro Indy figures standing in for generic "Middle Eastern" bad guys... http://www.tiekatoys.com/news.asp?id=166

Good find, Inky. Sallah the terrorist!

Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #199
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

Well, I happened to stumble onto the figures for the new "Pirates of the Carbibbean" movie in the store the other day.

Unfortunately, Zazzle, the company that made figures for the first three movies, is NOT making the new line.

While the Zazzle figures were not blessed with great articulation and never managed to make a decent Jack Sparrow headsculpt, the new figures are utter garbage in comparison.

Sadly, the scale is off- they are a little bit too big to stand alongside Indy, Star Wars and the Zazzle figures. But more noticeably, they are just BAD looking figures. Crap faces, really indistinct, cruddy detailing. They look almost like preschool aged toys - big, thick, ugly.

Ick.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #200
Montana Smith
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
Well, I happened to stumble onto the figures for the new "Pirates of the Carbibbean" movie in the store the other day.

Unfortunately, Zazzle, the company that made figures for the first three movies, is NOT making the new line.

While the Zazzle figures were not blessed with great articulation and never managed to make a decent Jack Sparrow headsculpt, the new figures are utter garbage in comparison.

Sadly, the scale is off- they are a little bit too big to stand alongside Indy, Star Wars and the Zazzle figures. But more noticeably, they are just BAD looking figures. Crap faces, really indistinct, cruddy detailing. They look almost like preschool aged toys - big, thick, ugly.

Ick.

Two steps forward, and three back.

The Zazzles were hit and miss, as you say. The Cannibal and the Chinese pirate were good, and useful for Indy.