Star Wars: The Clone Wars

No Ticket

Yeah I've heard they call R2, Artooie. Which, is stupid... because it's actually easier to just say Artoo.

BTW. I know people keep making excuses for this film in regard to it "being just for kids," but I saw the original SW trilogy when I was very young and I remember ROTJ and the way Jabba was portrayed just fine. Little kids do not need the bad guys to act silly or so stupid things. I mean, I saw people dying, REAL people not just disposable clones or robots and there's the little scene with the ewok who is fried. All of this was awesome to me as a little kid. Not frightening, not too much.

You do not treat kids as though they are stupid. Because they are not. I was able to enjoy the original Star Wars films for what they were because they were great to begin with. They were clean, nothing overly dirty about them. I thought Luke losing his hand in ESB was "cool."

I saw the original BATMAN when I was 5. With a Joker who asks, "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight" to all his victims. None of this scarred me or even really scared me. I was more afraid of the Crypt Keeper from Tales from the Crypt.

Honestly. I think Clone Wars is dumbing it down too much for the kids.

Benraianajones

I watched the opening of ROTJ the other day, where Bib Fortuna says "Die wanna wonga" to R2 and 3P0 in the gritty hallway in the enterance to the palace - and I couldn't believe George Lucas had made such a simple scene, which had such a great astmosphere and quality to it - as simple as it was. In comparison to what we get now.

CasualJeff

Benraianajones said:
Uhm...what is wrong with it? I think we all know. I can not ever imagine Jabba from the ROTJ throne room, having a cross dressing relative. Ever. Just imagine a cross dressing Hutt in the context of that movie. It is totally out of place.

I guess I should point out that I was being somewhat facetious with that remark. Of course I see what's wrong with it--the character is absolutely ridiculous. But I can also kind of see the humor in a galactic pimp in the SW universe. I don't think it's a movie-ruining idea.

For the record, my five year old son liked the movie. (For comparison's sake, he doesn't really care about any of the other Star Wars movies, but adores the Indiana Jones movies. He can watch Raiders multiple times, which is crazy because it's nowhere near as visually stimulating as Star Wars.) I know "it's for kids" doesn't excuse a movie for being terrible, but I also think that you have to watch kids movies with a different mind-set than adult or even general-audience movies. It you expect every kid's movie to be as good as The Empire Strikes Back, then watching movies with your kids will be a real chore. As a parent you just learn to roll with the punches, you know?

Dr.Sartorius

Jar Jar Binks had more personality than anyone in Clone Wars. That's how much I didn't like this movie. Phantom Menace is like the Godfather compared to Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

Here's my breakdown:

What I liked:

Space battles
Lightsaber battles

What I disliked:

Everything else

No Ticket

CasualJeff said:
I guess I should point out that I was being somewhat facetious with that remark. Of course I see what's wrong with it--the character is absolutely ridiculous. But I can also kind of see the humor in a galactic pimp in the SW universe. I don't think it's a movie-ruining idea.

For the record, my five year old son liked the movie. (For comparison's sake, he doesn't really care about any of the other Star Wars movies, but adores the Indiana Jones movies. He can watch Raiders multiple times, which is crazy because it's nowhere near as visually stimulating as Star Wars.) I know "it's for kids" doesn't excuse a movie for being terrible, but I also think that you have to watch kids movies with a different mind-set than adult or even general-audience movies. It you expect every kid's movie to be as good as The Empire Strikes Back, then watching movies with your kids will be a real chore. As a parent you just learn to roll with the punches, you know?

Is Lion King a "general audience" movie then? ... Because I love that movie. What makes it a "kids movie," exactly? I would say that, pre-dominately Lion King is meant to be a children's film... although it is impressive on a number of levels. Story telling, animation, etc.

(Yes I'm aware that Disney probably stole the story from Japan, no need to bring that up)

I like watching some kids movies. I think the show "Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends" is pretty funny actually, and it's for kids.

I think if a "kids show" is really, truly good then it will entertain the adults too. At least a little ya know? So when I say "it's just a kids movie" isn't excuse... I mean exactly that. I think it could reach a wider audience even if targeted for children if it's done correctly.

Look at how popular the Shrek films were. (although the last one wasn't very good IMO)

sandiegojones

Wow. I haven't been here in days and you're all still griping. It's not THAT big a deal, really. It's just a cartoon movie. Good or bad, that's all it is! :rolleyes:

CasualJeff

No Ticket said:
Is Lion King a "general audience" movie then? ... Because I love that movie. What makes it a "kids movie," exactly? I would say that, pre-dominately Lion King is meant to be a children's film... although it is impressive on a number of levels. Story telling, animation, etc.

I would definitely call The Lion King a kid's movie. What makes it a kid's movie? I don't know--flatulence jokes, wacky sidekicks, talking animals, Jonathan Taylor Thomas singing about how he juuuust caaan't WAIT to be kiiiiing. There's plenty of stuff in there that would classify it as kiddie.

It's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination. It's a very well made, classic kid's movie. Compare it to any of its straight-to-video sequels and the quality craftsmanship is clear. But it's still a kid's movie. I think that if you are an adult, and you walk into Lion King with the impression that it's a movie made specifically for you(an adult)...you will be very disappointed in how much it panders to kids.

Just like with Clone Wars, if you expect it to be on par with the Star Wars movies you will definitely be disappointed. Again, I don't mean this to excuse any perceived suckiness on your end. If you think it's sucky even for a kid's movie, then I respect your opinion. I just disagree, is all. I think it's better than most kiddie fare out there. (It's not as well-made as The Lion King, but in my opinion it's certainly better than recent kiddie movie dreck like Madagascar or Happy Feet or whatever.)

I like watching some kids movies. I think the show "Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends" is pretty funny actually, and it's for kids.

I think if a "kids show" is really, truly good then it will entertain the adults too. At least a little ya know? So when I say "it's just a kids movie" isn't excuse... I mean exactly that. I think it could reach a wider audience even if targeted for children if it's done correctly.

I agree with everything you say in principal...I just disagree that Clone Wars is a terrible kid's movie.

First, I agree that Foster's can be funny. One of the better kid's shows on TV right now. But put it against one of the better general-audience shows like Futurama or Arrested Development and there's no contest which one is funnier.

And second, I agree that if a kid's show/movie is truly good then it will entertain adults too...but you also have to have expectations. If you put Foster's on NBC primetime on Thursday nights, all of The Office/My Name Is Earl/Whatever Else Is On fans would be like "...what the heck is this garbage?" They wouldn't be entertained at all.

Look at how popular the Shrek films were. (although the last one wasn't very good IMO)

Never saw the third one. But yeah, Shrek nailed the "appeal to kids while also having humor for adults" thing. Then again, most of the humor in that movie is just seeing how "naughty" they can get while maintaining the kid-friendly image. "Wow, they said 'ass'! Oh wait, they were talking about a donkey." It would be hard to translate that style over into an action/adventure movie like Clone Wars.

I hope this post makes sense. I just had surgery on my precious gonads, and the medication is making me a bit loopy. Sorry guys.

The Man

The Art Unleashed...

http://kotaku.com/5042521/the-art-of-star-wars-the-force-unleashed

The Art and Making of Star Wars The Force Unleashed* is a chunky, 168 page book filled with more than 300 pieces of concept art, two packs of character cards and plenty of behind the scenes details of how the title went from concept to game.

medium_DSC02649.jpg

*Though I can't currently scan the review in, Empire magazine's new issue gave the game five-stars...

Benraianajones

CasualJeff said:
I guess I should point out that I was being somewhat facetious with that remark. Of course I see what's wrong with it--the character is absolutely ridiculous. But I can also kind of see the humor in a galactic pimp in the SW universe.

Good, because Zero and Stinky are a couple of the most stupid things added to the Star Wars universe that are in a movie.

TheMutt92

The animated adventures of Star Wars: The Clone Wars will be coming to television every week starting next week, and you'll soon be able to also enjoy the theatrical Clone Wars movie in your own home! Star Wars: The Clone Wars is coming to home video on November 11, as a single-disc DVD, two-disc Special Edition DVD, and -- the first for any Star Wars release -- a Hi-Def Blu-Ray release. The single and double-disc standard-definition versions both include the widescreen movie with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX sound, and with feature-length audio commentary.

Bonus material on the Special Edition DVD and Blu-Ray include:

The Clone Wars: The Untold Stories: Preview stories, vehicles, planets, and battles from Season One of The Clone Wars television series. (This feature is in Hi-Def on Blu-Ray).
The Voices of The Clone Wars: Meet the voiceover actors and see them perform their craft. (This feature is in Hi-Def on Blu-Ray).
Gallery of Concept and Production Art (This feature is in Hi-Def on Blu-Ray).
Webdocs: Six making-of featurettes, as seen on StarWars.com (This feature is in Hi-Def on Blu-Ray).
Deleted Scenes: Cargo Bay, Platform Droid Fight, Rancor Pit and Through the Tanks
The New Score: Kevin Kiner leads a 90-piece orchestra to create the unique sound of The Clone Wars movie and series. (This feature is in Hi-Def on Blu-Ray)
Theatrical and videogame trailers (This feature is in HI-Def on Blu-Ray)
A digital copy of the movie to watch on the go.
Take the Hologram Memory Challenge: Test your skill and memory and unlock three hi-def TV series sneak peeks
Exclusive to the Blu-Ray release is a feature-length creative conversation video commentary, featuring Director Dave Filoni, Producer Catherine Winder, Writer Henry Gilroy and Editor Jason W.A. Tucker, who discuss the development of the feature, illustrated with behind-the-scenes footage, deleted material, concept art and more.

Be on the lookout for retailer exclusives. There are more details to come, but take a look at the exclusive packaging found at Best Buy -- where the Special Edition 2-disc DVD set will be available in a "steel book" tin -- and the Target exclusives, featuring the red-emblazoned Senate guard clone troopers.

(DVD covers here: http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Clone_Wars_DVD_Release_Date_118071.asp)

Never got a chance to see the movie. Think I'll probably get around Christmas when I got loads of giftcards and stuff and won't be dissapointed if I 'wasted my money' or not.

Garfoot

Animated Clone Wars debuts tonight.

:) Just curious to see if anyone else watched the premiere of Clone Wars on Cartoon Network tonight?

Before the Lucas bashing begins, I just want to say that I thought it was pretty good. Of course I am pretty much a Star Wars nut, so maybe I'm just crazy. I like the animation style better then the other Clone Wars of a few years ago. I hope for a long lived show, because I love to see the side stories of the Clone Wars. My 6 year old loved it!!

Lucas planned out some 100 episodes already, so let's hope we can get at least a couple of years out of this. Then we can venture into the live action t.v. show with Boba Fett!!!!

Come on you Star Wars fanatics, speak up on what you thought.:D

CasualJeff

I had to bump this after catching the TV premiere. That was seriously really good. Improved on the movie in just about every way.

Did anyone else catch it? It reruns tomorrow at 9pm.

CasualJeff

I had to bump this after catching the TV premiere. That was seriously really good. Improved on the movie in just about every way.

Did anyone else catch it? It reruns tomorrow at 9pm.

Goodsport

I recorded the two episodes yesterday but I'm not sure when I'll be able to watch them considering that I missed seeing the movie first and it's no longer playing in theaters anywhere near me. :(

-G

sandiegojones

The show was great! Especially the second episode shown. I saw Clone Wars in the theater with my son, but the show was better. There were fewer battles and silly things in the episodes shown, although there was more battle droid goofiness than the movie.

The thing that the movie lacked which the episodes had were characterizations of the clones and other Jedi. Their personalities were developed, and that's the more interesting than re-hashing Anakin's story. The show also looks way better in HD at home than on film in a theater. The quality of the show is excellent for TV.

Also, in the preview for next weeks show they showed the return of Jar Jar!

Foxy Oxley

Meh. Yoda jumping around destroying battle droids who act like the keystone cops. It has promise but the premiere left much to be desired. Haven't seen the movie yet.