does anyone here collect ancient coins?

teampunk

i was looking at them online and wanted to know if anyone here collects them. you can buy uncleaned ones from ancient Rome, that seem pretty cheap. even cleaned ones can be had for under 100 bucks. so i was just wondering if anyone here is into that kind of thing?

WilliamBoyd8

I have been collecting Roman, Byzantine, and Parthian coins occasionally
for several years and have about 100 now.

I have pictures of them on my website (below).

post_byzantine_justinian_ant.jpg

My favorite Byzantine coin, this Justinian bronze follis.

:)

Last edited:

Goodeknight

teampunk said:
i was looking at them online and wanted to know if anyone here collects them. you can buy uncleaned ones from ancient Rome, that seem pretty cheap. even cleaned ones can be had for under 100 bucks. so i was just wondering if anyone here is into that kind of thing?
I've gotten some uncleaned Roman coins from eBay. Pretty cool, but, honestly, a real pain to clean. Olive oil, mild chemicals, distilled water, and lots and lots of scrubbing with a toothbrush. Takes time and effort. Quick cleaning solutions (harsh chemicals, Dremel, etc.) will destroy your coins.

Also, don't get too excited about uncleaned coins sold by the lot -- with descriptions that say buyers have found bunches of gold coins. If there were a lot of gold coins in there, they'd be cleaning them themselves.

They're still cool coins, some probably in good shape, but you probably won't find rare coins, gold, or silver in there. But you will have fun, and you will be able to identify at least a few of your coins, and you will have an awesome collection to show people.

teampunk

nice. i'm not really looking at finding gold coins or making money i just think it's really cool that you can get them.

XanaduEli

I have a tin of coins from the Roman times, 1500s and a few from the American civil war. But that is about it.

Montana Smith

XanaduMel said:
I have a tin of coins from the Roman times, 1500s and a few from the American civil war. But that is about it.

That sounds pretty impressive, Mel. You should take them out of the tin and put them on display, or at least keep them nice and safe from damage.

I don't collect coins, though I have kept a few that I've picked up while on the hunt for other things.

I have a glass case stuffed full of curios: cap badges, campaign medals, various bullet casings, military buttons, a couple of coins from British West Africa and some old Reichspfennigs.

The coins evoke a real sense of history, as items handled by those long since gone.

Last edited:

XanaduEli

I would put them on display but I am worried that my little kitten, daisy will knock them over and something bad will happen to them.

They are precious to me.The Roman and the 1500 ones used to belong to my British great great grandfather.
And the American ones belonged My American stepfather's great grandfather.