The rock grinder scene in TOD: ridiculous

Kingsley

MolaRam2 said:
It's a small error, the rock grinder scene is awesome and very tense BTW. It's way better than anything in LC.
You should have stopped in the first sentence, mister ;)

LC rocks (like the grinder or more!)

lynchpin

Skipper said:
Sorry, I'm not buying that. A special lens can't explain the huge difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephoto_lens

In photography and cinematography, a telephoto lens is a specific construction of a long focal length photographic lens that places its optical centre outside of its physical construction, such that the entire lens assembly is between the optical centre and the focal plane.

...The telephoto shot appears to compress the distance between objects due to the perspective from the more distant location. Long lenses thus give a photographer an alternative to the type of perspective distortion exhibited by shorter focal length lenses where (when the photographer stands closer to the given subject) different portions of a subject in a photograph can appear out of proportion to each other.

I chose continuity error over the use of a telephoto lens, but don't be surprised by the effects that "special lenses" can have over imagery produced.

Kooshmeister

My issue with the rock grinder is the results of the guard going through it aren't bloody enough. In real life there'd be gore all over the grinder and not just the tasteful smears of blood. Coming as it does on top of the heart-ripping scene this ludicrously not-bloody-enough death really stands out for me and always has.

Except for that though it's a good scene. Just need some more blood. And I'm not saying this because I'm gore-happy. I'm actually quite squeamish. :D

MolaRam2

Kooshmeister said:
My issue with the rock grinder is the results of the guard going through it aren't bloody enough. In real life there'd be gore all over the grinder and not just the tasteful smears of blood. Coming as it does on top of the heart-ripping scene this ludicrously not-bloody-enough death really stands out for me and always has.

Except for that though it's a good scene. Just need some more blood. And I'm not saying this because I'm gore-happy. I'm actually quite squeamish. :D

They already freaked out little kids with the heart ripping scene, plus Speilberg and Lucas still meant for this to be a family movie, so I understand the rock grinder scene not having much blood.

AnImaginaryBoy

It's a homage to old cliffhanger serials. If you look at something like Doctor Who, which has it's roots in the old cliffhanger serials of the 30s, it's the same deal, the end of the episode will make it look like the Doctor or his companions are in mortal danger, but then it turns out whatever it was that was threatening them wasn't anywhere near them at the time. It's all part of the charm of the Indy films, really.

Benraianajones

Haha, yeah, he is so close to going in the grinder, then he is nowhere near it. I always notice it - who couldn't - but it isn't anything that "ruins" it for me. It is just one of those movie things! If this was in KOTCS - everyone would be bad mouthing the portion of the film. Although I haven't seen the new one yet, Ifeel a lot of people are laying in to KOTCS and forgetting even the original movies had small "problems".

Tydirium

I know it's already been said but I couldn't keep quiet myself. The rock crusher scene, spike room, closing temple door from the beginning of Raiders, they've all been edited in this way to create danger, suspense and excitement.

Plus the rock crusher scene has one of my favorite Indy moments. Just when you think his head is about to be crushed, the raiders march music kicks in and indy fights back. Awesome! (copyright Michael Bay) :D

Grailseeker

FACT: Telephoto Lens

If any of you own the 4 dvd indy set, PLEASE watch the making of LC.

They specifically say they use a telephoto lens to zoom in on the boat meets propeller scene for a camera trick, which they used in the several shots in TOD and ROTLA.

Closed book.

Tsar

Grailseeker said:
FACT: Telephoto Lens

If any of you own the 4 dvd indy set, PLEASE watch the making of LC.

They specifically say they use a telephoto lens to zoom in on the boat meets propeller scene for a camera trick, which they used in the several shots in TOD and ROTLA.

Closed book.

You win the internets.

whipem

This scene always bothered me. The difference in distance between the two shots feels excessive, even in a movie like this. But I love ToD anyway.

Colonel Corey

I don't think it's a stupid way to make Indy not get crushed. It's called making a movie 'funny' or 'suspensful'.

Oh, and also I just want to say that the guy that gets crushed isn't just the "Guard". He is the Chief guard. :p

Case closed. :hat:

kongisking

This is how far we've sunk. KOTCS' ridiculous moments have made us start to look back at simple mistakes in the OT and call them ridiculous! Egad, that film has indeed ruined this fandom! :rolleyes:

HenryJunior

From my understanding most of that scene was shot with Vic Armstrong while Harrison was in pain and getting his back worked on. The close ups and reaction shots were filmed later. For most of the fight they make a great effort to have Indy's back turned to the camera or have his face obscured. Correct me if i'm wrong. There's definitely some really loose continuity but I still love that scene (y)