Indyland?

There has to be a water park element to it...

Action Park had two great attractions, the Tarzan Swing over a swimming hole/lake and the Cannonball, a fully enclosed waterslide/tube which shot you out over another swimming hole/lake.

The swing could easily be "Hovitos Escape" in a cove visible along the Jungle Cruise, with Jock's Bi Plane at the mouth. Either an animatronic fishing Jock or a staff member waving to the Bantu Wind as it passes. A nice addition to the Jungle Cruise is seeing the scene from Raiders played out by visitors pointed out by Katanga: "we'll be picking up Dr Jones a little later in his adventure..."

The Bantu Wind passes by the other water ride "Pancot Mines" on the return trip on the other side of the loop where the water slide shoots you out of the side of a cliff and into the "river" with the Rope Bride about to be cut between you and the Tour Boat.

Towards the end Venice speedboats race past you in battle, as you dock two jet between you and the pier. An explosion later, one escapes but "disappears" over a water fall.

Oh, attendants are Hovitos and Thugee, Sallah sees you off on the Bantu Wind and The Brother Hood are waiting for you as you disembark.

A way to incorporate the rides as a spectacle as well...

There's also a multi laned "Race down Mt Hummol" water slide.

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
We can add The Raven bar and Club Obi-Wan to the restaurant list, too.

Naturally. (Wouldn't it be awesome to have a zeppelin as transportation around the park, complete with small cafe? More realistically, you <I>could</I> do the same thing with a train, slapping on a dining car.)

Stoo said:
A Young Indy presence might confuse some visitors because of it's time period. It would need to be relegated to a specific section of the park and clearly labeled as Young Indyland.

Of course, with that said, people might expect it to be a kiddie area, for all of the young Indys visiting the park.

Stoo said:
Some features could be:

-Jungle Cruise-type ride in riverboats.

Certainly a natural, whether it's themed to Oganga or not.

Stoo said:
-Automobile ride (like Disney's Autopia/Grand Prix Raceway) using Ford Model 'T's and other vintage vehicles.

Maybe they're done up as vehicles in a chase scene. Get some staff cars and things in there!

-Maze of World War One trenches with a fake mustard gas attack.

Daring, and a great idea. This is partially why I was dwelling on the plans for Disney's America park, since it was similarly an attempt to do something serious in a theme park environment. (There was to be an Underground Railroad attraction!) Of course, this would be much more self-consciously a thrill park as well, to at least a considerable extent. (You really don't want massive steel coasters cluttering the landscape.) Whether or not the idea for the park actually shakes out to have a Young Indy segment, a maze is a natural, and a must. Imagine exploring a ruined temple complex, emerging into sunlight only to discover it's a dead end. Heck, there is the labyrinth from Fate of Atlantis...

Stoo said:
-Biplane ride on a carousel for children.

Yep, yep.

Stoo said:
-Hot-air balloon tethered in one spot for period atmosphere (like the one in the concept paintings you posted).

Begins to make me think that it should be a general adventure park...not that there was ever a hot air balloon in Around the World in 80 Days until the 1956 movie. (And, obviously, there's the other Verne story.)

Stoo said:
-Hanging Basket from "Travels With Father". It could rise & drop like the Tower of Terror ride in Disney's Hollywood Studios.:eek:

Do we get to deconstruct it on the way down?

Stoo said:
-Dun & Duffy's Circus train with a House of Reptiles, Den of Lions, etc. Guests could exit the attraction in a magic box!

This could be a walk-through, a "petting" zoo sort of structure.

Stoo said:
Take the Indy "Temple du Péril" mine cart rollercoaster from Disneyland Paris and put it inside tunnels & caverns.

A little something like this? (You've got to check out that first piece of concept art in particular; it's outstanding.)

Stoo said:
P.S. I found this concept artwork by the great, Disney production artist, Don Carson:

AdventurelandTruck.jpg

There's <I>plenty</I> of potential to heavily theme carts for food and souvenirs.

Rocket Surgeon said:
There has to be a water park element to it...

Yes. Wonder if it's fully-integrated into the rest of the park, or is it it's own special section with the changing rooms and the people walking around in swimsuits and what not. (If they're just walking around, you'd need to train the Belloq and Mac walk-arounds to leer!) Thematically, isolating it causes some problems, but it seems like such a natural otherwise. (And one of your ideas in particular is too good to not put in the area of the park where it makes sense.) Of course, it's not as though there isn't a natural Indiana Jones theme for a water park. Hopefully it wouldn't get any legal trouble from anyone who's already named a water park after Atlantis. Oh, and that maze idea I spun-off of Stoo's would be great in a water park environment. You could get on slides that might, or might not, take you further towards the end of the maze. And there could be some manner of sun, moon, and world stones that you could obtain at various points in the maze that would grant you access further into the maze complex. These you could wear on your wrist or neck so they wouldn't interfere with your hands. (Would that be safe on water slides? I don't have enough experience with water parks to know if access tags or anything along those lines exist, just to prove that you're in the park by right.)

Rocket Surgeon said:
Action Park had two great attractions, the Tarzan Swing over a swimming hole/lake and the Cannonball, a fully enclosed waterslide/tube which shot you out over another swimming hole/lake.

The swing could easily be "Hovitos Escape" in a cove visible along the Jungle Cruise, with Jock's Bi Plane at the mouth.

And this is just great. There used to be a Disney water park, River Country, themed to Tom Sawyer, that had all those old swimmin' hole type conceits.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Either an animatronic fishing Jock or a staff member waving to the Bantu Wind as it passes. A nice addition to the Jungle Cruise is seeing the scene from Raiders played out by visitors pointed out by Katanga: "we'll be picking up Dr Jones a little later in his adventure..."

Nice, nice. (Incidentally, a nice way to incorporate some of the Indy characters without needing to cast all cast members to resemble them is having them on radio, communicating occasionally with the individual skipper or guide of the ride in question.)

Rocket Surgeon said:
The Bantu Wind passes by the other water ride "Pancot Mines" on the return trip on the other side of the loop where the water slide shoots you out of the side of a cliff and into the "river" with the Rope Bride about to be cut between you and the Tour Boat.

Towards the end Venice speedboats race past you in battle, as you dock two jet between you and the pier. An explosion later, one escapes but "disappears" over a water fall.

Oh, attendants are Hovitos and Thugee, Sallah sees you off on the Bantu Wind and The Brother Hood are waiting for you as you disembark.

A way to incorporate the rides as a spectacle as well...

All this makes it a natural to have some manner of watercraft circling much of the park. I suppose they wouldn't make it to the desert, although it would be beautiful to have the flying wing up on a bluff, overlooking the river.

Rocket Surgeon said:
There's also a multi laned "Race down Mt Hummol" water slide.

Love it.

:whip:
Attila the Professor said:
Very interesting. And I quite agree that a mine cart ride is a natural. (Heck, it's reported that the mine cart sound effects were recorded at the Big Thunder Mountain attraction.) Anyhow, do you have any more of your ideas or anything that you'd be willing to put into the conversation?

Well the site in that picture is about 100 acres or roughly the size of the Magic Kingdom, Disneyland and a number of six flags theme parks so you can actually make a full fledged theme park with multiple areas in it with that land.

I envision five themed areas. The center of the park would be the general Indyland which would be the college campus complete with academic buildings that would have Indy's classroom, his office/lab/storage area from LC, the college library from KOTCS, the big conference auditorium from ROTLA, etc. The Quad would show an outdoor screening at dusk every evening of one of the Indy movies in order repeating every four days. Also Indy's house would be on display in the general Indy area.

The other four areas would circle the general Indy area and each area would be themed after one of the four movies. So there is a Raider's of the Lost Ark area, a Temple of Doom areas, a Last Crusade area and a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull area. Young Indy would kind of be a corner of the Last Crusade area mostly focused on the Young Indy scene in the movie with a replica of his house and the circus train, plus a few displays to remind people of the TV series.

Raider's land would have a Hovitos Temple fun house complete with rolling stone that moves away from guests at the last moment with an airplane in a small lagoon at the end. There would also be the Raven bar, complete with non-alcoholic beverages for the kiddies, alcohol is served to adults with flaming whiskey as a speciality. Then the Streets of Cairo complete with sword wielding street performers and back alleys with shops. A small snack shop that looks like the place where Indy met Belloq. An Ark chamber funhouse/ride and an Ark opening/nazi melting attraction.

Temple of Doom land would feature the streets of Shanghai with the Club Obi Wan Chinese Buffet that would also have the appropriate entertainment. The Streets of Shanghai would also have shops and bumper car ride. Then you have the Himillayan water rapids ride complete with a log flume like drop. Pankot Palace would be an Indian restaurant with fake monkey heads on display but mostly a venue to educate kids that authentic Indian food is not snakes, bugs, and eyeball soup (when I was a little kid I thought just that because of TOD). The cocktail of choice being the very high proof blood of kalima, one per customer. Then there is the Temple of Doom house of horrors, a tad scary for the kids. The signature piece of Temple of Doom land (and one of the signatures of the whole park) would of course be the Mine Cart ride, to be one of the best thrill rides in the world.

The Last Crusade land would have the aforementioned Young Indy area with his boyhood home and Circus train. The Streets of Venice would have an Italian outdoor restaurant, the usual shops, and canals bumper boats. Then the German castle/nazi fun house. A stationary Zeplin with a piano bar serving drinks and light snacks. A motion simulator plane ride. A nazi tank ride. And finally a canyon of the crescent moon/grail temple fun house complete with the three challenges and seemingly bottomless gorge where you walk across a glass floor, then the room with the grail(s). A Holy Grail bottled water store would really be sacrilege, that is unless the Vatican wanted to franchise with us holy water from their pilgrimage sights.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull land would have the area 51 warehouse which would be an indoor ride where you would be in car driving around exploding boxes. Also a rocket ship ride. 1950's suburbia doom town complete with manikins and reruns of howdy doody and periodic air sirens, take a picture with a nuke. Refrigerator motion simulator ride, water spray decontamination area (great on hot summer days). 1950's Diner that serves milkshakes, burgers, fries and all american nostalgic good stuff, located near entrance between general Indy land and this area. A small Peruvian town area with a restaurant serving south american cuisine. Akator water flume/river rapids ride complete with three drops. Then the Akator fun house and then the spinning room/flying saucer ride. A train ride would go around the edge of the park, probably modeled after the KOTCS train, with stops at each of the four movie areas.

I also imagine an Indiana Jones themed hotel just outside the park proper on the northern shore of Wolf Lake. Themed guest rooms, standard rooms would look like college dorm rooms with the standard hotel room comforts. Suites with themes such as "Sallah's house in Cairo, Bantu Wind stateroom (watch out for that swinging mirror), Jungle suite (with fireplace), Pankot Palace Slave suite, Ah Venice suite, Henry Jones Sr. castle suite with fake Ming Dynasty vases (insured), 1950's suburban doom town suite with kitchenette (and yes including a refrigerator), and then the Dr. Jones suite the largest room which is a replica of the interior of his KOTCS house. Also the hotel would have an Indoor Indy themed water park.

Of course all the great ideas mentioned on here could fit into one of the above themed areas, enough room for as many attractions as a typical large amusement park. I am familiar with land use as a profession and a hobby. I also live fairly close to the site I pictured above. If I had enough time I could take pictures, place attractions in my head and even sketch things out, for the time being I have plenty of time until potential job prospects get back to me and I need something to keep my mind occupied and feel useful even if its imaginary. Now if only I was a wealthy land developer with hundreds of millions of dollars, maybe some day, fortune and glory :whip:.

Last edited:
Pancot mines...

...forgot to mention that the rope bridge is situated so you have a front row seat to the standoff, untill gravity takes over.

It's where the requisite camera is mounted for the candid shot too.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Bumping...

...and replying to a post in another thread:

dr.jones1986 said:
I wouldn't want an entire Indiana Jones or Star Wars land, it would be too much.

Well, there's two reasons that it would be too much, one of which is particular to these two franchises and another that would be true of any land based on a single franchise.

1) A Consistently Themed Environment

This is why I feel it's important that any conceptualization of an Indiana Jones-based theme park must work on a geographical organization principle, rather than one organized by sections pertaining to each individual property. You know how many different desert environments you'd need if you give each film it's own section of a park? Four. One for Raiders, two for Crusade, one for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. If you do things on a more geographical basis, either in the more literal form Rocket proposes or in the rougher way I advocate, you need two - a Middle Eastern desert and the American one.

The Indiana Jones films take place all over the globe. The beauty of the old Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition concept is that it combined multiple Indiana Jones-based attractions (different vehicles, that is) in a single environment that was inspired by, though not derived from, the films. It wasn't trying to smash together a desert and a jungle all in one. Ironically, this is just what a refitting of the shop adjacent to the Star Tours attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios did when it was renamed from Endor Vendors to Tatooine Traders, alongside an Endorian landscape. (That particular park is an odd case, in that it's never quite sure whether it's trying to be a movie studio or the world of a film itself.)

The beauty of Indiana Jones is that he ostensibly exists in our own world. There are clear variants of fact, physics, and folklore, but most things in our world can be treated in an Indiana Jones framework. A land at some other theme park that was explicitly "Indyland" would be downright silly, because it would, if done properly, only be representing a single place. Now, that single place could be rather broad either in geography or thematic treatment. The Liberty Square/Frontierland swath at Disney World in Florida moves through both space and time from East Coast colonization to West Coast expansion. Adventureland at the Disney theme parks has Polynesian, Indian, African, and South American influences, but they're all jungle or island landscapes, not desert. (Well, in Paris they do an Arabian-infused rendition, and there are thematically disastrous Aladdin spinners at the Stateside parks, but those are added on, and are not internal to the concept.) When they put in the Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland, they had, for awhile, a mandated spiel on the Jungle Cruise that was explicitly set in the 1930s. They've moved away from that, but the rest of the land still exists in the same world as Indiana Jones because the land was already a variant on our own notions of what real world adventure in far-flung places would be like. You don't want something to be Indyland, because then everything must directly relate to him or his adventures. But things that thematically "rhyme" with Indiana Jones are entirely appropriate. This gives us the second reason:

2) Limiting Your Horizons

Disneyland's California Adventure theme park is in the middle of a huge addition called Cars Land. Apart from the fact that the film it is based on doesn't take place in California, the mistake, as I see it, is that you can never really do anything in that land that expands beyond the world presented in the Cars films, a world that is decidedly not our own. This is, of course, also true of the new Avatar development planned for the Animal Kingdom theme park, which has been, up until now, the most realistic and least fanciful of the Disney theme parks, for good or ill. Here's a couple of photographs suggesting some of what I mean, which also isn't too far off from the sorts of things that could happen in an immersive Indiana Jones theme park.

ak_har.jpg

212249402_NMG3o-L-1.jpg

Things are rough, things are aged, things take place in an Africa that is a theme park-friendly rendition of a real place. They are not in a universe wherein cars are sentient and humans are absent or in which there are fanciful beasts on some planet in the future. Such real world-inspired environments can invite an awful lot of thematic and experiential material that does not need to be derived from or operate on the rules of some fictional franchise.

I know my genre biases come into play here. Indiana Jones is about as fanciful as my usual tastes in fiction get, a world that is roughly ours infused with some additional elements. I do lose interest once a story asks me to accept some other world or planet or something that I decidedly do not recognize as akin to the world we live in. I know this is also why I find an Indiana Jones-inspired theme park much easier to conceive of than a Star Wars one, even though there's more material and more characters to draw upon for a Star Wars park: Star Wars needs to suggest you are traveling from planet to planet, while the theme park vocabulary is already quite adept at moving the audience from place to place with the scale of this transportation and the realms involved being the biggest piece of the suspension of disbelief.

As much as anything else, what is fascinating about Indiana Jones is that the idea of that type of adventure has staying power. Clearly, earlier figures from the works of Jules Verne and H. Rider Haggard and Joseph Conrad and the producers of the Republic serials and, yes, Carl Barks were predecessors to Indiana Jones, and he has had his own successors, but it is nearly impossible to disassociate these ideas from those birthed from the work of Lucas, Spielberg, and their collaborators from 1981 onward. This remains a large portion of why I feel the Indiana Jones Adventure attractions are valid as additions to both the world of Disney, because doing it without the Jones name would be an imitation on some level. But not everything with that thematic component, once the Jones connection is established, needs to have direct involvement from Indiana Jones himself.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The strangest sort of bump...

Maybe this is the way to come up with rides, and maybe this isn't...

The Onion A.V. Club said:
Possible Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull Attractions
By Amelie Gillette May 27, 2008

If you did your patriotic duty this weekend and saw Indiana Jones And Those Are Not Aliens, They're Inter-Dimensional Beings, Even Though We Can See How You'd Make That Mistake Cause They Totally Do Look Like Aliens this weekend, you probably exited the theater with two questions sitting like bricks only moveable by inter-dimensional beings in your mind: 1. How can Shia LeBoeuf's hair look both so thick and so thin in pompadour form? and 2. When can I ride that movie?

Unfortunately, the first question, like so many LeBoeuf-related mysteries, is unresolvable. But the answer to the second question is: "Probably very soon." With every new Indiana Jones movie comes a new Indiana Jones attraction at a Disney theme park. But will Crystal Skull translate as well to theme park attractions as it did to Kellogg's cereal? Here are a few ideas for possible Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull Disney attractions:

The Real Treasure Is Knowledge? Golden Temple Experience

This white-knuckle roller coaster takes you inside a giant, glittery South American temple, where the walls are paved with intelligence covered in pure gold. You'll wind your way around piles of thoughts (mixed with rubies) at breakneck speed, zoom beneath arches made of wisdom and shiny shiny diamonds, before bursting into the Knowledge Chamber full of crystal skulls, platinum pillars, and chests full of gold coins as far as the eye can see.

Anti-Communist Monkey Adventure

Hang on to your Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull rubber switchblade (actual switchblades, knives, nail files, tweezers, and pointy barrettes will be confiscated at the park gates) this virtual reality ride recreates the experience of swinging through a Peruvian jungle guided by a band of all-American, friendly, pompadoured monkeys. Watch as the monkeys lead Americans to safety vine by vine, while sniffing out and attacking evil pinko communists.

Indiana Jones Triple Waterfall Drop

The part in the movie that you totally thought looked like a water ride at Disney World now is a water ride at Disney World! Weird, right? Don't be afraid to take the plunge!

That's Not A Ride, It's A Snake! Ride

This roller coaster awkwardly hamfists Indiana Jones' well-documented, and thoroughly humanizing fear of snakes into every element of the ride: The straps that hold you in place are actually snakes, the handlebar you've been clutching the entire time turns out to be a snake, you glance down mid-loop-de-loop and realize the floor of the coaster is made entirely of snakes, and when you exit the coaster after 5 minutes of pure, snake-filled exhilaration, you'll turn around and discover that the coaster's tracks were actually snakes! Finally, a ride that Indy himself would be afraid to ride!

Inter-Dimensional Space Within Space Mountain

Strap yourself in for a trip through the galaxies between galaxies. Yes, this ride looks a lot like Space Mountain, but it's actually Space Within Space Mountain--a fact you'll be reminded of again and again as you zoom through a place that looks a lot like outer space but is actually the space within space.

And, as always, in the comments:

Jorge Von Salsa said:
Why Stop there?
You could also wait in line for hours to ride:

"A-Bomb Village" - You and three other friends enter into four antique refrigerators. One of you will be blasted half a mile into the air--the other three must see who can escape from their frosty coffin and its unreliable lock before the air runs out!

"Brody's Bumper Cars" - Take turns decapitating statues erected to famous characters from the Indiana Jones series who were edited out of the fourth installment for various reasons.

"Haymaker Hoedown" - Test your mettle against German airplane mechanics, Indian mining strongmen, and Red Army soldiers to see which of them can be felled by one punch. Sound effects not included.

"Junkbash Jungle Adventure" - Straddle two speeding vehicles while your 'nads are pummeled by various Amazonian flora. See if you can escape on monkey-laden getaway vines!

macroclemys said:
Don't forget "Whack a Poorly Rendered Irrelevant CGI Prairie Dog"

Crack that whip

I'm dubious of it being based simply on the different Lucas franchises, whether it includes things beyond Indy and Star Wars or not. To just take the two, they are such wildly different franchises in terms of their setting and technological and cultural trappings that I don't see how they could share the same acreage in any meaningful way. (Which is to say, contra Stoo, that ownership isn't enough. That's why, for example, Monsters Inc. in Tomorrowland is a disaster.) What's the center of the park like? Or the entranceway? Is it a movie studio facsimile, and then you enter through the camera lens or something to go to each movie themed area? Or is everything you see themed as though it is the movie set for the worlds of Lucas, as the Disney Studios park treats it? You'd also end up doubling up on certain environments, to get both Indiana Jones's Middle East and Star Wars's Tatooine.

I get that it's the marketable approach. (Well, no: the marketable approach is a Star Wars park, full stop.) But it seems pretty hard to justify thematically.

I respectfully disagree; I don't think the Indy and Star Wars universes are truly that different - perhaps in settings and technology, as you note (though as even you point out, there are certain settings in both that do have some overlap), but not culturally, I think. Both certainly feel like the products of a particular, distinct narrative sensibility, at least to me.

But perhaps that's just the way I personally conceptualize the two, as part of the overall body of work of George Lucas. I know others "see" them in different ways, as exemplified by the thread inquiring whether most / all Indy fans are also 007 fans. I personally don't feel that at all, but I do think I get why others do.

While packing and unpacking in the course of a recent move, I came across an old letter I wrote to the Lucasfilm Fan Club around 1993 and never got around to mailing, discussing some concerns I'd had with their then-current coverage of various LFL-related developments, and some ideas I had for articles and whatnot I'd like to see. I've been thinking of posting it here ("here" at the Raven, in its own thread, not in this one), since I (perhaps narcissistically) thought it might be of some interest to others here - partly for the snapshot it offers of how the fan club magazine was and wasn't covering various LFL projects (including Indy, obviously) at that time and what sorts of things this one particular fan wanted to see, but perhaps also for a glimpse of how this one fan related different aspects of the Lucasmultiverse to one another.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I hesitate to put this here, since this is primarily a blue sky thread, but here's something interesting.

A fellow named Harrison "Buzz" Price, as described here, was <I>the</I> consultant to go to not only for any prospective Disney theme parks, but for just about any companies assessing the feasibility of some sort of themed development around the world. His papers were donated to the collection at the Rosen School of Hospitality Management at the University of Central Florida.

One of the papers he donated had the following title:

LucasArts. Market and Financial Sections for New World in Hawaii. Oahu, Hawaii. Report Number: 459. 23-Jan-1990, Jun-1990.

So, there's restrictions on some of this material that cannot be viewed until September 15, 2012. It doesn't <I>seem</I> that this is one of them, however. And this document does appear in the "Theme Parks and Attraction Parks" section of the database. Anyone know what LucasArts might have been looking at in Hawaii in 1990, <I>after</I> the opening of Star Tours in 1987? Anyone near the University of Central Florida?

Last edited:

HJTHX1138

You know, it isn't totally obsurd.

I could see it happening, but I really don't think an entire Indy park could work, you'd eventually just start having empty space and re-hashes of old rides. Star Wars is so wide a universe there's probably more things you could do with that.

I don't think it's impossible, but it really isn't in Disney's best interest, I mean let's face it, the changes are drastic. They had to re-theme everything in AdventureLand

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
LucasLand:
With all the Lucasfilm headlines over the past year, it was time to draft a LucasLand theme park for IdealBuildout. I had given thought to a Star Wars Park for a while, but decided instead to design a park which spanned all the LucasFilm/LucasArts libraries. Since Star Wars is the flagship property, it would receive the most attention: three large lands - the northern 40% of the park - as well as the park’s central icon. Indiana Jones, the second city of the company, would get two large lands. Willow and Labyrinth would share a fantasy & legends land, and the LucasArts games would be represented in an 80s-style area, with a distinct (is)land for the Monkey Island pirate series. There would also be a Studio area which focused on the BTS film-making process and a nostalgic 1950s-set entry-land, the park’s equivalent of MS:USA.
Blog+-+LucasLand.PNG

Stoo

Nice find, Moedred.:)

Very well done but it would've been nice if the designer had made a Young Indy reference in his imaginary section for Istanbul.

D7. The Odin. This is the double zeppelin from "Staff of Kings", right? (I've never played the game). That would be cool to see. Disneyland Paris has a full-sized, mock-up of the beautiful Hyperion airship from "The Island at the Top of the World". You can't go inside the cabin but it's great to see the thing in real life and I'd imagine a fully built Odin would be as equally impressive.

Le Saboteur

...in this case set in 1930s South America rather than in India.

Southeast Asia or the Subcontinent isn't "exotic" enough for the Japanese which necessitated the change to South America. Which I, oddly enough, thought I had already shared in this tread. It's this idea of "the exotic" that probably precludes the idea of entire theme park based on the limited adventures of Indiana Jones. What probably would work is... a regional experience for lack of a better expression at the moment. For example, Disneyland adopts a more complete Southeast Asian, British Raj-like experience/motif/whatever. Disney World takes on a Young Indy vibe dealing in edutainment since it's essentially set up that way, and Tokyo DisneySea keeps the South American theme.

I should clarify that this would essentially end up being an Adventureland makeover.

Paris is a problem since Adventureland shares a home with Pirates of the Caribbean -- and has crappy weather most of the year -- but they could theoretically expand their Frontierland to take on the American Southwest and Mexico. Shanghai? Egypt. Hong Kong is getting a massive Marvel Land, so I'm not sure what happens there.

I mention this again, because Disney was supposed to have announced the entire makeover of Tomorrowland, but have held off. In a couple of years, Tomorrowland will be a distant memory and Star Wars Land will stand in its place. Yep, Star Wars Land. Y'know where the Nemo subs ply the waters now? Well, that's going to be a speeder bike race through the forests of Endor.

So, is an Indy themed makeover in store for Adventureland? Or, if not an entire makeover, cheaper infill attractions? The Adventureland Bazaar is almost perfectly set up to be recreated as the Marhala Bar. Well, at least a portion of it.

(Would that be safe on water slides? I don't have enough experience with water parks to know if access tags or anything along those lines exist, just to prove that you're in the park by right.)

Disney's Fastpass Plus and the Magic Band should solve this problem.

Crack that whip

Just a quick comment or two on some things I just now noticed in an old post...
Goodeknight said:
And then individual rides or shows for all of the other memorable Lucas films (even if they were pre-Lucasfilm).

That would rope in:

* Willow
* American Graffiti (classic cars and rock 'n roll). That could include a 50s diner, rides, shows...
* (skip Howard the Duck)
* Hook
* Land Before Time -- kiddie dinosaur land
* Labyrinth is a maybe, too

I'd go.
I would, too, but this couldn't happen this way. American Graffiti, The Land Before Time, and Labyrinth might all have been Lucasfilm productions, but it doesn't own any of them (and Hook isn't even a Lucasfilm work, though its divisions did effects and sound work on it, as they did for many, many other movies and shows). American Graffiti does have some modest representation at Universal Studios, actually.